Building A Flounder Gig on the Cheap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building A Flounder Gig on the Cheap

Gearing up for our upcoming beach trip, I pulled together a DIY gig on my latest trip to the hardware store.

Full Instructions
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Sethmac; 05-11-2021, 05:02 PM.

Get a commercial mop handle. Cut the curls off the wire ends. Straighten them and sharpen. Hit the sleeves where the wire comes out with a hammer to tighten it up. Take the threaded part out and there you have it.
    Last edited by Walker; 05-11-2021, 04:29 PM.

Comment

This
      Attached Files

Comment

Any body have any DIY lights that work well? I'm wanting to try a headlamp to see if it does ok. Good idea on the gig.

Comment

I’m working on a DIY light now...will post up how it goes. Waiting on LED chips at moment
          Attached Files

Comment

Head lights don't work very well. Too muck glare on the water. They make some led lights on a stick you hold under water. I've got some airplane lights I put together but you have to drag around a car battery on a float.

Comment

Originally posted by kevin nicholls View Post
              Any body have any DIY lights that work well? I'm wanting to try a headlamp to see if it does ok. Good idea on the gig.
              I have a few I’ve built I’ll post some pics when I get home. As of late all I use is a nightstick waterproof flashlight zip tied to pvc. Takes AA so it’s light and works just fine. It’s not as bright as the ones I’ve built or some others make but gets the job done.

Comment

Originally posted by kevin nicholls View Post
                We use a standard flounder gig, then strap a bike light on it. Now, it's not an ordinary bike light, it's very bright. This light has a built-in rubber base and a velco strap for tightening. The challenge is that you can only see where you shine the light, which is about a foot in diameter. Our lights are 10 years old, so I'm not sure of the model, but here is a link to the brand.

Note: The NiteRider® Lumina™ 1000 Boost is shipped from the factory in Travel Lock Out Mode. This mode feature is designed to save battery power by preventing the head light from accidentally turning on while in storage. Simply press and hold power button 8-10 seconds to lock / unlock. The NiteRider® Lumina™ 1000 Boost

Also, on the web. You can find the DIY PVC pipe rigs. You just need to buy and underwater light bulb. We had both, but preferred the light on the gig...less to hold.

Comment

pretty cool!

Comment

Appreciate it! I think the ability to stow it away will come in handy riding to the beach with the kiddos...corks on the end of sharp things were a little too enticing
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Sethmac View Post
                      Appreciate it! I think the ability to stow it away will come in handy riding to the beach with the kiddos...corks on the end of sharp things were a little too enticing
                      X2, that’s a nice tool for gigging flounders not family!

Comment

Working...
                      X