Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was a company truck and oil changes were done every 5k

Comment

See Ford TSB 18-2305. This only applies to 2011-2015 but the Ford mechanics tell me the newer trucks are seeing it too. The problem shows itself as a nasty rattling noise for 2-5 seconds at cold start. It's timing chain slap caused by worn/stretched primary timing chain. The early TSB's only replaced the chain but the newer TSB replaces all 4 phasers and all 3 chains. Ford now says it's the phasers causing it. I've done a ton of research.
      My 2013 just started doing this after 140k miles. Not every morning but hit and miss. If you let it go it could possibly jump time and throw CEL or worse.
      I just ordered all the parts and tools and will be starting the job Monday. My mechanic wants $2400 and ford charges $3k+. Motorcraft parts and special tools about $600. I'd let my mechanic do it but I'm due tires so gotta save somewhere.
      As a side note, I maintain the truck religiously with oil changes every 5k with motorcraft filter and synthetic oil, so the idea that it's caused but poor maintenance is hog washbut I'm sure poor maintenance will contribute to an early death. I'm disappointed but I still love the truck and will keep it. It's been a good one.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
      Last edited by bakin7005; 03-18-2021, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bakin7005 View Post
        See Ford TSB 18-2305. This only applies to 2011-2015 but the Ford mechanics tell me the newer trucks are seeing it too. The problem shows itself as a nasty rattling noise for 2-5 seconds at cold start. It's timing chain slap caused by worn/stretched primary timing chain. The early TSB's only replaced the chain but the newer TSB replaces all 4 phasers and all 3 chains. Ford now says it's the phasers causing it. I've done a ton of research.
        My 2013 just started doing this after 140k miles. Not every morning but hit and miss. If you let it go it could possibly jump time and throw CEL or worse.
        I just ordered all the parts and tools and will be starting the job Monday. My mechanic wants $2400 and ford charges $3k+. Motorcraft parts and special tools about $600. I'd let my mechanic do it but I'm due tires so gotta save somewhere.
        As a side note, I maintain the truck religiously with oil changes every 5k with motorcraft filter and synthetic oil, so the idea that it's caused but poor maintenance is hog washbut I'm sure poor maintenance will contribute to an early death. I'm disappointed but I still love the truck and will keep it. It's been a good one.

My 13 started around 70k and is still doing it at 170k. I probably need to get this done but have been putting it off, obviously. Maintenance is most definitely not the problem!!

Comment

My 2017 started the timing chain rattle at ~25,000 was at the dealer multiple times and they didn’t hear it since it was sporadic. No codes. Dealer finally heard it and replaced the parts. The repair lasted less than one year and it want back in for the same fix. It’s not maintenance related. It’s a bad design/bad parts and common in the 3.5. I got rid of that truck right as the warranty expired and went with the 2020 5.0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Just had my 2017 in for the recall. They went ahead and replaced the cam phasers under warranty as well. No other issues with the truck at all.

Comment

145k on my 15, bought it with 5 miles on the clock. Would buy again.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Comment

Just got rid of a ‘13 with 165k. Started getting noisy at 75k and having issues. That truck left a really bad taste in my mouth. On the plus side I became a much better mechanic as a result of owning it. It would take a lot for me to try their trucks again.

Comment

2012 started a slight rattle around 40k by 68k it was easy to tell it was the chain. Dealer could not "reproduce it" till 68k and did not document it right so Ford refused to warranty it. I took a 3k on trade in

2017 timing chain at 30k. Since December this is the longest I have had my truck and im about to hit a month with it

Battery died just under 2 years
                  Starter died when I went to pick it up for the battery
                  Timing chain at 30k
                  2 injectors at 40k
                  Cats at 40k from injectors
                  NAV dimming issues that they have now tried to fix 4 or 5 times and still doesnt work correctly
                  Weird shift problem from 4-5 that causes the truck to fall on its face. I have never been able to reproduce for them.

I think once the extended warranty is done it is gone and im switching. Absolutely love the motor when it is working but it is not worth the headache and being in a loaner for months at a time.

That and the fact it would currently cost 20k more for my exact same truck right now with the same possiblity of all the headaches ill pass

Then on the other hand a friend has 2011 with over 150k and has had no issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post
                    My 13 started around 70k and is still doing it at 170k. I probably need to get this done but have been putting it off, obviously. Maintenance is most definitely not the problem!!
                    That's interesting...mine just started and doesn't do it every time. I've read it can jump time but now in wondering if it's really a problem it just annoying.

Comment

Sounds like the remedy is to replace parts with the same parts. No one and done solution. No magic bullet.

Comment

Had it done on my 2018 under warranty

Comment

I had a 2012 that had 220,000 when I got rid of it. I had the rattle one time and threw a code. I always ran synthetic oil but started getting my oil changed at one of the chain stores. I think they must have put cheap oil in it because once I went back to doing it myself with full synthetic I never had that issue again. Only other problem I had through the years was it ate plugs pretty often and I never figured out why because they were easy enough to change. I have a 2019 right now so far so good.

Comment

Have a 2018 w/ 35K miles and no issues at all in regards to the cam phasers or rattling. Change the oil every 5K miles. Seems to be hit and miss reading the posts and hopefully I don't run into issues. I like the truck but will probably go with a V-8 if I do trade it in.

Comment

Originally posted by scubasteven25 View Post
                              Have a 2018 w/ 35K miles and no issues at all in regards to the cam phasers or rattling. Change the oil every 5K miles. Seems to be hit and miss reading the posts and hopefully I don't run into issues. I like the truck but will probably go with a V-8 if I do trade it in.
                              Heck you can't hardly find the v8. I'd say 70% of the available trucks have the 2.7.

Comment

I have 2014 and it has done the rattle for several years. It has 120k miles and I have hardly changed the oil in mine let alone any other maintenance... so yeah, mine is probably maintenance related but I am going to drive it till the wheels fall off.

Comment

Working...
                                X