Wyoming elk applications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
    Lord, I hate the "Points" system/lottery. I understand it, but think it negates a younger hunter from ever being able to draw a prime unit.
    I personally have no problem with it and prefer it over every state being complete random. The problem is everyone wants to hunt the prime unit. Not every hunter is okay with second choice and leftover tags. Me, I choose to hunt and build at the same time so when the opportunity for that great tag, it isn’t squandered because of lack of experience. There’s plenty of great animals killed in less than prime units every year, you just have to put the work, time, and with a little luck great trophies and memories can be had.

Comment

Just dropped $1300 on the non-resident special elk tag

Is the draw really out in May?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
        Lord, I hate the "Points" system/lottery. I understand it, but think it negates a younger hunter from ever being able to draw a prime unit.
        I’ve drawn premium, what would be considered 1-2 in a lifetime tags with zero points several times in my life. Bonus points is where it is at and fair, preference leads to point creep and sucks!

Also gotta play to win!

Comment

I've got 9 for elk, deer and pronghorn and will be looking to cash in on something this year. I'd like to put a pronghorn in the freezer.

Comment

I’ll be applying for antelope for the first time. The draw odds from last year are confusing. Why do some units say 0 points get 33% drawn, and 1 line up state <1 point gets 80 something % drawn? Isn’t that the same thing? Lol. This is an example of the area I plan to apply for.

Comment

[QUOTE=Jeremy7306;15390228]I’ll be applying for antelope for the first time. The draw odds from last year are confusing. Why do some units say 0 points get 33% drawn, and 1 line up state <1 point gets 80 something % drawn? Isn’t that the same thing? Lol. This is an example of the area I plan to apply for.

In Wyoming you average your PP if you apply in a party application, and they go out to 4 decimal points I believe, so some can have fractional PP. Less than 1 PP could be .5 PP due to averaging on a party app, that is more than 0 PP.

Best, primo deer areas will take max PP or close. Good ones to be had with way less than max PP or even 0-1. We have decent deer hunting on general Region tags that can be drawn with 0-1 PP.

Great pronghorn to be had with say 7 PP or so, very good hunting areas that take 5-6 PP to draw also. But good hunts can be had in any are with access. More PP gets you areas with more public land and usually more bucks to choose from. Mid tier areas are not bad at all and good bucks can be found on areas with little access.

For elk remember now 25% go into a random draw, everyone that doesn't draw in the PP draw gets thrown into a random draw.
              General elk areas have good hunting and you'll need probably 3-4 PP to draw unless last year was a farce.
              Better areas take 9 or so and we have archery only tags available in certain areas, Type 9, that can have better draw odds.
              Most licenses are valid for archery season and rifle season, just buy an archery license OTC to hunt that season. Type 9 are archery only and no extra archery license in needed.

Reduced price cow tags are all random draw. Some are better late season and some are fine early. There are some full price cow tags too that will take your PP if you draw them, Type 4 tags. Draw odds are usually good on those.

Comment

@wytex could you explain what the quota number means? I’m confused on that and how it plays into draw odds. This is the unit I planned to apply for with no points. Thank you for the help, the is completely new to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremy7306 View Post
                  @wytex could you explain what the quota number means? I’m confused on that and how it plays into draw odds. This is the unit I planned to apply for with no points. Thank you for the help, the is completely new to me.

The quota listed is a countdown of what's left of the quota. So someone in that list with 5 points burned them on that tag, leaving the next drop down with 1 less tag, and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremy7306 View Post

The quota is the number of tags available for that area. They started with 175 tags in the drawing and counted down by PP that were used to draw.
                    Looks like with your 0 PP odds are about 37% you would draw. If you had a little more than 0 PP odds were 100% to draw.
                    You could party app with someone that had just 1 PP and both of you would get put into the draw with .5 PP.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                      The quota is the number of tags available for that area. They started with 175 tags in the drawing and counted down by PP that were used to draw.
                      Looks like with your 0 PP odds are about 37% you would draw. If you had a little more than 0 PP odds were 100% to draw.
                      You could party app with someone that had just 1 PP and both of you would get put into the draw with .5 PP.

I didn’t see anything about a party app, but I also didn’t look for it. I’ll be hunting with a buddy who is resident there, but I’m not sure if he has any points. This unit was one we could tell had a better first draw rate for no points, will be hunting public.

Comment

I was looking forward to buy it. Let see what happens.

Comment

Is application for points open as well, or does that come later?

Comment

I would be stoked to draw a cow elk tag! I keep saying THIS Year is the year I will start applying...time to get off the pot

Comment

I was born and raised here in Wyoming and I am on the fence with regards to preference points for residents. Why? Because I have drawn one elk tag in the last 11 years and it was for a late season cow tag. Yes, I have heard all of the arguments about how I could easily go hunt a general area tag but in reality, that is not so easy. Access is much more difficult with a lot of it requiring mules or horses to access it, or at the very least to pack one out if you are successful. Most of the general tag areas are in the west and northwestern part of the state where the Grizzly Bears are very numerous and I just don't want to hunt in an area where I have to keep looking over my shoulder for a predator I am not allowed to take unless my life is threatened, and should you pull the trigger, you are treated as guilty until proven innocent.

I think that realistically, as a resident, one should expect to be able to draw a good elk tag every 3-4 years. We have more elk in our state than we have ever had and yet I can't tell you how many friends I hunt with have the same experience I have had.

We have more antelope in our state that people and my feeling is the every resident of this state should be able to draw an antelope tag if they desire one. I did draw a tag last year, the first one in a number of years but I never pulled the trigger because I never saw anything that scored above a 72-73.

We had a lot of late winter/early spring kill last year, especially on deer and antelope. The are I did hunt for antelope had 2400 permits given out last year. I spent a total of 6 full days in the area and all days combined I did not see 2400 antelope in total. I will be very interested to see how the permit numbers are affected this year.

My personal opinion, and I have no scientific evidence to prove it, is that the odds of drawing as a non-resident are better solely because the price of a non-resident tag is so much higher than a resident tag. Our G&F is always wanting more budget money and one way to get it is through non-resident tag revenue.

So, get your tags filled out guys and gals and your money sent in as we do have some wonderful places to hunt up here.

Comment

Originally posted by WyoBull View Post
                                I was born and raised here in Wyoming and I am on the fence with regards to preference points for residents. Why? Because I have drawn one elk tag in the last 11 years and it was for a late season cow tag. Yes, I have heard all of the arguments about how I could easily go hunt a general area tag but in reality, that is not so easy. Access is much more difficult with a lot of it requiring mules or horses to access it, or at the very least to pack one out if you are successful. Most of the general tag areas are in the west and northwestern part of the state where the Grizzly Bears are very numerous and I just don't want to hunt in an area where I have to keep looking over my shoulder for a predator I am not allowed to take unless my life is threatened, and should you pull the trigger, you are treated as guilty until proven innocent.

I think that realistically, as a resident, one should expect to be able to draw a good elk tag every 3-4 years. We have more elk in our state than we have ever had and yet I can't tell you how many friends I hunt with have the same experience I have had.

We have more antelope in our state that people and my feeling is the every resident of this state should be able to draw an antelope tag if they desire one. I did draw a tag last year, the first one in a number of years but I never pulled the trigger because I never saw anything that scored above a 72-73.

We had a lot of late winter/early spring kill last year, especially on deer and antelope. The are I did hunt for antelope had 2400 permits given out last year. I spent a total of 6 full days in the area and all days combined I did not see 2400 antelope in total. I will be very interested to see how the permit numbers are affected this year.

My personal opinion, and I have no scientific evidence to prove it, is that the odds of drawing as a non-resident are better solely because the price of a non-resident tag is so much higher than a resident tag. Our G&F is always wanting more budget money and one way to get it is through non-resident tag revenue.

So, get your tags filled out guys and gals and your money sent in as we do have some wonderful places to hunt up here.
                                I'd agree with you on the non resident thing, until you find out people drop 100s of thousands on sheep hunts and all kinds of crazy money to go hunt. Does sound weird to hear that a resident doesnt have much access to the hunting, hunting, and I think that's also why you have higher quality hunts than say colorado.

Comment

Working...
                                X