No announcement yet.

6.5 PRC bullet for elk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've had deer with a hole through it's heart from a broadhead run several hundred yards. It happens but rarely. On the other hand I have never had one take a step when it's shoulders were pinned and the spine in between broken. Pretty sure I would want a big ol Elk to drop DRT so I would sure want a bullet that had the strength to break bone. Accubond and Barnes TSX or TTSX can do that. Trick is finding them in the heavy weights that the gun likes. Some of the old Hornady interlock bullets were pretty strong but fall a ways back from the two aforementioned.

Comment

I would use the Accubonds, they worked for me on the one elk I have killed with the 6.5-284. If you would prefer 140gr partitions PM me.

Talking about elk just standing there after the shot through the boiler room and the elk just standing there, one I shot at 200 yards with the 350 Remington Magnum and a 225gr Partition started out at 2700fps did that, stood there then got the wobbles and went down hill about 60 yards before tumbling. Glad actually that he did because where he went down was about as far as we could get the truck up the hill for easy loading. i have killed 2 elk with Accubonds and they did well, the 6.5-285 and 110 from the 257 Weatherby. Shots were 225 and 250 yards. Those elk were all just as dead as the ones with the 7mmSTW, 300 WBY and 350 RM.

Comment

Accubond is probably the best killing Bullet made. That’s what I shoot in my PRC. But by all means if you don’t want them I’ll buy them all

Comment

I’m sending 156 Berger’s 3050fps out of my WTO 6.5 prc, that ought to work for ya!

Comment

Originally posted by LeanMachine View Post
            I have killed an oryx, a nilgai, and a pile of pigs with the 143 eldx's out of my 6.5 prc. I haven't had to track any of them. I also can't remember a single exit wound. I am a BIG fan of the frontal shot. It just flat puts them down.

I shot a nilgai cow at 220 yards, frontal shot. 6.5CM 143 Eldx.

When we hung her upside down to clean, it was just a big pool of blood. It liquefied her insides.
            It had been drizzling that morning pretty good and she was soaked.
            When the bullet hit her, the shock wave went through her entire body. The water came off her fur as if you were to pop a wet towel. Very neat looking.

Comment

Working...
            X