No title for trailer registration ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I have started looking at smaller trailers and am finding some decent deals. But a couple I’ve seen say “no title”.
    I’ve been looking at 12’ or 14’ utility trailers. I understand they changed the laws a few months ago making it hard to get registration for a homemade trailer. Has anyone got a trailer registered since they changed the laws?

Register as homebuilt and I’d prefer one with a plate already, so it’s in the system.

Comment

If it has a plate bill of sale will likely be all you need. My boat trailer was that way and my cattle trailer now is that way. Both manufactured trailers but they didnt issue titles back in the 90’s on trailers I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Call the registration office And ask for advice......although it will likely be wrong.
        Getting a bonded title on a trailer is easy as well

Comment

Just register as homemade

Comment

In Tx, utility trailers don’t have titles unless they are over 7000# GVWR. If you buy one new, you set a certificate of origin but not a title to take to get the trailer registered. Not sure what the process is for a used trailer without that? I presume a bull of sale would suffice though.

Bisch

Last edited by Bisch; 04-24-2021, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Have a title for my 7000 axle trailer and several single axle.

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
              In Tx, utility trailers don’t have titles unless they are over 7000# GVWR.

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
                Have a title for my 7000 axle trailer and several single axle.
                You can get a title for these trailers, but you do not have to get it. All you have to do is register it. That being said, I have started titling my smaller trailers, because they are easier to sell and makes a buyer more certain of trailer.

Comment

I registered a home built trailer many years ago and when i sold it i kept the plates. Since then I've built and sold many trailers and always keep the same plates. Everyone ive sold trailers to just registers them as homemade and have never had any issues.

Comment

Any utility trailer under 7000# should not have a title.

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by bigdawg View Post
                      I registered a home built trailer many years ago and when i sold it i kept the plates. Since then I've built and sold many trailers and always keep the same plates. Everyone ive sold trailers to just registers them as homemade and have never had any issues.
                      When you register a trailer homemade in Montgomery county. They make you take it to the counties auto theft department and go over it. If it has any markings on it that show it is not "homemade" and you can't prove where you got it, they will confiscate it

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                        Any utility trailer under 7000# should not have a title.

Bisch

It doe not require a title, but you can get one for it, it is just an extra charge

Comment

Ok so I don’t have to have license plates in it to be registered if it’s under 7000 pounds?

Comment

Originally posted by careybirdwell View Post
                            When you register a trailer homemade in Montgomery county. They make you take it to the counties auto theft department and go over it. If it has any markings on it that show it is not "homemade" and you can't prove where you got it, they will confiscate it
                            See this is what I was told a couple of weeks ago. A friend said if you do not have a title. They will send you to a place where they can go over it and try to find any numbers on the trailer. If at that point they do not find any numbers I’m not sure what they would do.

I use to buy Boat Trailer’s without any title or registration. Then make Kayak trailers out of them and go get license plates as a homemade trailer. I heard from multiple people that a few months ago they change that. And that they make you go have a sheriff dept go over it to find any existing numbers.
                            Thanks for all the help.

Comment

Every county is different. Call the registration office. And yes, Montgomery county is the hardest county in the state to get a trailer registered as homemade. If you try it, better have all receipts for material. My son registered a trailer bought off of tbh, in Montgomery county, took six trips to get everything done.

Comment

Working...
                              X