No announcement yet.

2021 Salty H20 Fishing Thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honestly if they’re going to make any change then just throw them all back. Keeping 2 less fish per person ain’t doing much, then making the fish you do allow to be killed your primo egg producers. Should have been 14-16”.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
      3 fish 17”-23”

So we only get to keep females.

Brilliant!
      Remember where the keep 5 and one over 25 came from.

We'll be going to LA next

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
        3 fish 17”-23”

So we only get to keep females.

Brilliant!

Stupidity. That slot size produces the most fish because that are mostly all female.

Male trout don’t get bigger than 18-20”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Just another political decision by the TPWD Commission... Targeting the most prolific egg producers in the species... if that is their proposal... No need to worry about it. Those suckers gonna do what they want anyway... Bunch of non-elected bureaucrats that have their own future NOT the future of the wildlife/fish resources in mind with their decision making processes...

Comment

I may be way off base here but I believe their end game is to move the pressure north. Galveston has been hurting for a few years because the freshwater, it's rebounded nicely in the past year. All the boats went south, now they'll move back north. They can't tell people to stop fishing down there but you can do it in other ways, like this. I guess we're not waiting for gill net surveys or any other data, it's a good thing they're so much smarter than us.

Comment

Originally posted by kevin nicholls View Post
              I may be way off base here but I believe their end game is to move the pressure north. Galveston has been hurting for a few years because the freshwater, it's rebounded nicely in the past year. All the boats went south, now they'll move back north. They can't tell people to stop fishing down there but you can do it in other ways, like this. I guess we're not waiting for gill net surveys or any other data, it's a good thing they're so much smarter than us.
              I thought the same thing, motivating people to fish elsewhere. Lovely, POC probably be an even bigger madhouse now.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                Just another political decision by the TPWD Commission... Targeting the most prolific egg producers in the species... if that is their proposal... No need to worry about it. Those suckers gonna do what they want anyway... Bunch of non-elected bureaucrats that have their own future NOT the future of the wildlife/fish resources in mind with their decision making processes...
                Amen.... couldn't have said it better Charlie!

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Comment

Looking forward to Capt. Glen’s input, he seems to have the most depth of knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
                    Looking forward to Capt. Glen’s input, he seems to have the most depth of knowledge.
                    I am surprised they didn't go 100% catch and release. The rumblings I was hearing was that it was going to be 4 months of catch and release only south of JFK. I guess they had to give up a little to try to keep from killing the whole fishing industry down there.

I can see both trains of thought here. Shifting the slot upwards kills more females for sure.

At the same time, protecting 12-17" spawners will yield the largest number of eggs spawned possible. Those little ladies don't produce as many eggs per fish but there are just so many more of them that their much larger percentage of the population way more than makes up for the fewer eggs per fish. So it kinda makes sense to protect those fish a little more in this situation, temporarily. They are the main spawning population.

I don't like to see the slot raised and I do think protecting your best spawning size makes the most sense and will give you the most bang for the buck. I guess the one good thing to keep in mind is they are just doing this for the summer spawning season. And if they go back to the regular size limits then pressure will shift back on the schoolies and will be more even on male to females harvested.

And I agree with whoever said this is a good way to shift pressure to other areas. I think that is spot on. You are already going to see that anyway. Even if the limits didn't change. People are going to go where they can catch fish. But changing the limits will influence that more and lots of people will fish farther north this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Glenn View Post
                      I am surprised they didn't go 100% catch and release. The rumblings I was hearing was that it was going to be 4 months of catch and release only south of JFK. I guess they had to give up a little to try to keep from killing the whole fishing industry down there.

I can see both trains of thought here. Shifting the slot upwards kills more females for sure.

At the same time, protecting 12-17" spawners will yield the largest number of eggs spawned possible. Those little ladies don't produce as many eggs per fish but there are just so many more of them that their much larger percentage of the population way more than makes up for the fewer eggs per fish. So it kinda makes sense to protect those fish a little more in this situation, temporarily. They are the main spawning population.

I don't like to see the slot raised and I do think protecting your best spawning size makes the most sense and will give you the most bang for the buck. I guess the one good thing to keep in mind is they are just doing this for the summer spawning season. And if they go back to the regular size limits then pressure will shift back on the schoolies and will be more even on male to females harvested.

And I agree with whoever said this is a good way to shift pressure to other areas. I think that is spot on. You are already going to see that anyway. Even if the limits didn't change. People are going to go where they can catch fish. But changing the limits will influence that more and lots of people will fish farther north this year.

As usual, great insight and knowledge. I appreciate it as I am sure others do as well.

The bold part is what I was expecting hear, many people on this thread and the other may be inaccurately assuming the new slot is going to target more of the producing females, but your information points to a different conclusion. Most of us may be unknowingly passing on inaccurate information, so I am very happy to see what you posted.

From the TPWD news release, it sounded like a 2 year rule change, is that not the case?

Thanks.

Comment

I'm glad I can be included in this thread. Took my new boat out the other day and caught a few. Next time I'll take better photos.

Comment

In honor of the new slot size limit in the LLM.

Slot Trout Thursday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Spino~ View Post
                            [ATTACH]1044626[/ATTACH]

I'm in!

Love seeing signs like this. I thought people in China were smarter than us...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
                              As usual, great insight and knowledge. I appreciate it as I am sure others do as well.

The bold part is what I was expecting hear, many people on this thread and the other may be inaccurately assuming the new slot is going to target more of the producing females, but your information points to a different conclusion. Most of us may be unknowingly passing on inaccurate information, so I am very happy to see what you posted.

From the TPWD news release, it sounded like a 2 year rule change, is that not the case?

Thanks.
                              120 days and re-evaluate

I'll take 20 on it wont go back till at least 2022

And Id like to thank Mayhem for keeping a bright side to this thread till we can all go do a survey for ourselves.

Good work Justin!
                              Last edited by Quackerbox; 03-25-2021, 05:31 AM.

Comment

2021 Salty H20 Fishing Thread!

Originally posted by Capt Glenn View Post

Excellent input as usual Glenn from somebody that has been on the water a long, long time and knows the fish well. Makes more sense hearing it put like that versus some of the overreacting above. I guess some of those decision making folks might know what they are doing after all.
                                Last edited by Smart; 03-25-2021, 05:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X