Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RMW View Post
    Would like a lazor out to 300-400yds
    well make up your mind you want a lazer or a hammer? you are left with the 50bmg!

Comment

if you reload then the 7-08 is a great option. Some new powders out that are putting some impressive velocities. Also maybe check out the 300 RCM, another short barrel round designed to perform really well.

Comment

I run 300Saum running 180gr Accubonds 20 inch barrel. But, I thing the 300WSM will be the next barrel. As there are far better factory support.

Comment

Biggest drawback with a 300WSM is the short case neck and being able to max load and feed bullets heavier than 168gr in magazine fed rifles. I would love to be able to run 190 -200 bullets in my 300WSM but to seat the bullets deep enough that will fit in the mags then there is not enough room left for a full powder charge unless it is highly compacted which I don't like to do. That's why I had the 338 WSM built so I could run 185-210 gr pills and still have plenty of powder room and C.O.L. still fit the mags. The 338WSM is a sledge hammer on hogs.
          BTW, my 300WSM is a factory special edition Remington 700 CDL Boone and Crockett. Semi rare find chambered for 300WSM and sub moa with factory 150gr BST ammo. And no it ain't fer sale.
          Attached Files

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
              Biggest drawback with a 300WSM is the short case neck and being able to max load and feed bullets heavier than 168gr in magazine fed rifles. I would love to be able to run 190 -200 bullets in my 300WSM but to seat the bullets deep enough that will fit in the mags then there is not enough room left for a full powder charge unless it is highly compacted which I don't like to do. That's why I had the 338 WSM built so I could run 185-210 gr pills and still have plenty of powder room and C.O.L. still fit the mags. The 338WSM is a sledge hammer on hogs.
              BTW, my 300WSM is a factory special edition Remington 700 CDL Boone and Crockett. Semi rare find chambered for 300WSM and sub moa with factory 150gr BST ammo. And no it ain't fer sale.
              Throat that WSM out and stick that tube on a long action. Should make some comfy room for a handful of powders I’d think. However, plenty argument can be made to just stick with a 300 WM but some do prefer a non-belted cartridge. Sharp lookin ole cdl ya got.

Comment

280ai

Comment

I'd look at any of the 7 or 300 options in a short mag, even a 6.5 although it looses a little advantage to bore diameter in a short tube.

I'm looking at a 20 inch short mag as well. Many options out there; SAUM, WSM or Sherman (SAUM based). The SAUM holds an advantage of better brass (ADG) when they make another run. Buy 100 rounds and it should last many years unless competition shooting is in your plans. Then again, your barrel won't last many years at that point. The Sherman Short is pretty much WSM capacity but a little shorter COAL allowing for running in a SA with a Wyatt's box. Plus it's better throated for long VLD bullets then the WSM and is made from better brass.

If you don't reload, then the 300 WSM or 308 Win would be my suggestion.

Comment

Just my opinion but with shorter barrels a larger bore diameter will use faster burning powders and therefore should be more efficient powder burn and not have so much muzzle flash.

Comment

if you're going 20", my vote would be the 7-08 AI, 7mm SAUM or what I'm personally looking into - 6mm SAUM/PRC. I've been looking into this caliber for a while and you can shoot the ever popular 105gr berger hybrids in the 3,300-3,450 fps arena, depending on the barrel length.

It's on the lighter end of the options, but it would be very flat shooting out of such a compact package that you're talking about - and pretty efficient as well. It has a capacity of around 60gr of powder vs the creedmoor case of 46gr (both rough max estimates).

Comment

We've gone about full circle on all these suggestions and to me it seems to come back to 6.5 PRC to get closest to what you want within your parameters.
                        Factory ammo is a bit hard to find but you can roll your own fairly easily and those 140 grain and 153 grain bullets will kill anythang out past 1000 yds

Comment

Working...
                        X