No announcement yet.

Oil changes and dealerships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do it yourself. Use only Wix filters and Mobil 1 oil.

You will be glad you did, and it's worth it.

Comment

I quit changing my own oil years ago when I figured out my time was worth more than that. Now, I’m too ****ed old to be rolling around under a truck. My local dealer changes the oil, rotates the tires, checks all the fluids, etc. in about an hour or less. I’m retired now and my time ain’t worth squat, but I still ain’t changing that oil !

Comment

With a Range i'd have the dealer do it. Most of them have loaners and/or super nice lounges/ Plus they will make it right if they screw it up (or should anyway).

I have my F250 done at the dealer because I have better things to do with my time generally but I would actually rather do it myself. I'm working a tooonnn currently and would rather spend time with kids or on a project I enjoy.

Commuter Car is whatever jiffy lube i'm close to when the light pops on... That one I don't care to do myself because it's a pain in the rear.

Ranger and Old Silverado that only get a change a year I do myself.

Comment

My current truck is the only one I've taken to the dealership for maintenance. They sucked me in with the tire rotation. Now I don't have to go one place for oil, then to discount to get my tires done.

My daughter has a little Audi we take to Sewell. It's more expensive than the import place nearby, but they treat her extremely well when she's there so I don't mind.
          Last edited by CEO; 07-13-2021, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bucknaked View Post
            What’s Not problematic on a Range Rover? I’m not a hater but those things are a PITA!
            HAHA ain't that the truth. They sure are good looking though!

Comment

To be honest, I don't know anyone that owns a Range Rover that didn't purchase the dealer service plan to go with it. Lots of odds and ins and everything about them is expensive. If you have never owned this type of vehicle, the maintenance costs are simply eye opening.

I'd either go to the dealer or the import car place for service. Don't think I'd trust the local 10 minute oil change place with a higher-end foreign vehicle. Considering the service intervals these days, spending $200 on an oil change isn't nearly what it used to be.

With that said, a base Range Rover sport model has an MSRP in the $70K range. The premium trim models go up from there. The OPs issue is most people that spend that kind of coin on an SUV aren't too concerned about a $300 oil change and again, most of those people are buying a service plan with the vehicle to begin with.

Comment

300 bucks for an oil change, that’s f****** crazy

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
                  400 bucks for an oil change, that’s f****** crazy
                  Fixed

Comment

Originally posted by dgilbert View Post
                    Don't take your vehicle to Granbury Nissan for service, it will cost you later.

Lol My wife bought a used Nissan Armada from a dealer in Dallas but got the service plan which include free oil changes and I have no idea what else. We live in Granbury and she has never one time been able to get in there to get her oil changed. They dont answer, call back or otherwise make it possible to schedule her service. She goes to Weatherford instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I don't do dealer oil changes, even when they offer them as part of the sale. Takes them too long. I can change the oil on any vehicle we own faster than I can drink 2 beers. I don't have an hour to waste during the week or wasting a Saturday morning sitting at the dealership.

Comment

At the dealership I can get an oil change and tires rotated for 13.99 for my F150.

Comment

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post
                          At the dealership I can get an oil change and tires rotated for 13.99 for my F150.
                          How fast?

Comment

Range Rover and quick lube places should never be used in the same sentence. If you have the coin for the car spend the money and get it serviced right by a dealer or shop with techs experienced with euro vehicles. Those cars take special oil and most require factory computers to even reset the service light. You can't buy the right oil for those cars for $80 so run far and fast from that. It's not worth them denying warranty claims (Which you will have driving a RR) for not following the factory maint.

Comment

Years ago when my wife and I were just married I decided to do a nice thing for her and get the oil changed in her Infiniti FX45. Not knowing any different I took it to a Jiffy Lube instead of the dealership. A few weeks later when she was getting ready to leave for work the car wouldn't crank. Engine light came on and we had to get it towed on a flatbed from our driveway in Bakersfield to the dealership in Santa Barbara. Long story short Jiffy Lube did me dirty... the service manager took pity on me and wrote it up so it would be covered under warranty.

I don't mess with Jiffy lube. If I can't change it myself I take it to the stealership.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Our new car came with 3 years free service. I forced them to change the oil at 3K miles and it cost $235.00.
                                Now it is 10K miles between free changes..................

Comment

Working...
                                X