AR optic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AR optic

Red dot vs holo and which one if you have a recommendation?

Will be going on a rifle I hardly ever shoot so I don't want to spend a lot, but have it there should it ever be needed.

It’s a personal preference thing, and both have great options.

However, for the rifle that isn’t shot much but needs to work if it’s needed yet still stay on budget. I’d check out the Sig Romeo 5x. I really enjoy both of mine and they have done me well.

Comment

I prefer red dots (specifically Aimpoints) due to battery life, simplicity and durability.

Comment

Originally posted by Chase4556 View Post

However, for the rifle that isn’t shot much but needs to work if it’s needed yet still stay on budget. I’d check out the Sig Romeo 5x. I really enjoy both of mine and they have done me well.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/sig-...-sor52101.html
        I concur with the Romeo. I didn't think I would like it but after shooting it for awhile I think it is one of the best budget options out there. They go on sale ALL THE TIME. Just keep looking around until you find the deal you want.

Comment

I have a holosun 403B on an AK and like it a lot. I think I paid about $120 for it.

Comment

The Rome 4s and 5 are supposed to be pretty good. I have done a lot of reading on both. I prefer the 4, because of the reticle options, over just a tiny red dot, that the 5 has.

I keep reading guys saying they love their Aim Points, they are the greatest, nothing comes close. Then I look and can only find Aim Points, with a little red dot, no reticle options. There are a lot of times the red dot, works great, but there are times, it takes a while to find that little red dot, when looking through a red dot style optic. Aim Point quality seems to be great, but they need to come up with more reticle options, for their sites.

At this point, for the money, I would say the Sig Romeo 4 is at the top of the list. The Romeo 5 is quite a bit cheaper, but only has a red dot. I have come close to buying a Romeo 5 and Juliet 3 combo, because that combo is much cheaper than the Romeo 4 and Juliet 4 combo, and it was in stock at Academy. But I need one with the low mount and the one they had a Academy, did not include the low mount. I looked it up on Sig's site, the best I can tell, it should have included the low mount also, but there was no place in the box for the low mount, or the spacers for the Juliet magnifier. I am guessing what they were selling at Academy was some special cheaper deal, made for Academy, that left out the low mount and spacers for the Juliet.

If the low mount and the spacers would have been in the box, I probably would have bought that Romeo 5 combo, just to see how I like it, on the gun I want to try it out on.

Comment

I prefer the holo on Eotechs over all em.
              Imo nothing is easier to use 2 eyes with.

Comment

Originally posted by Chase4556 View Post

https://palmettostatearmory.com/sig-...-sor52101.html
                Originally posted by lbbf View Post
                I concur with the Romeo. I didn't think I would like it but after shooting it for awhile I think it is one of the best budget options out there. They go on sale ALL THE TIME. Just keep looking around until you find the deal you want.
                The sigs are what keeps popping up when I do an online search. Guess I'm skeptical because of how affordable they are!

Comment

I currently have Aimpoint, Vortex, Sig and Holosun red dots on ARs. If you can find a Sig Romeo 5 on sale it’s the bargain to buy.

Holosun is also excellent. Vortex is lacking in the “shake-awake” category. I like them to come on when I pick them up.

I’m also running Holosun mini-red dot on a Glock with zero issues.

Amazing the options today.

Comment

I ordered a romeo 5 tonight, I was leaning that way when I started the thread.

Don't have a lot of experience with an electronic sight so this is a good ease into that territory for me. Worst case it goes on an ar style .22

Thanks for the feedback, guys!

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
                      I ordered a romeo 5 tonight, I was leaning that way when I started the thread.

Don't have a lot of experience with an electronic sight so this is a good ease into that territory for me. Worst case it goes on an ar style .22

Thanks for the feedback, guys!

You won’t be disappointed. Those Romeo5’s are great for the money. I’ve got a couple of them that I’ve beat the crap out of and are still going strong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Romeo 5x showed up today and I got it mounted. I'm pretty dang impressed for the $120 it cost.

Comment

Romeo 5x showed up today and I got it mounted. I'm pretty dang impressed for the $120 it cost.
                          it's a holosun after all .... most sig fanboys won't admit it ... but holosun makes them ... and that's ok !

Comment

I like to put mine on adm qd mounts so I can switch between red dot/scope/thermal.

Comment

I have several Romeo 5s and haven't had any issues out of them. Out of curiosity I did order a cheaper "Cyelee" which is an exact Romeo clone off Amazon. I'll probably just put it on a 22 to try it out.

Comment

Working...
                              X