Composting Toilet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Composting Toilet

Going to upgrade The Facilities at the Cabin .. I'm a Health Inspector by Trade ..So I'm bound to do it the Right Way..
    Standard Septic Systems for Rocky soil can be $15K + But a good Composting Toilet can be less than $1200 .. Perfectly Legal in Texas and @ 25 other states.

Anybody use these ...

I'm looking at Nature's Head model @$1K and under with good reviews and top 3 picks for best composting toilet ..

We looked at several options for our place out west. My wife’s uncle bought a toilet that burns all the waste automatically. It was like three grand. I’ve looked into the compost thing. Seems like it’s basically waste and saw dust. Then you pile it up and turn it over for a couple years till it all breaks down. I’m still roughing it out there currently but have to decide this myself.

Comment

I looked into them before. There is a lot of youtube video's of people testing them for short term and long term results. Some of the woman don't look that bad either!

Comment

My brother in law has one in his cabin, goin on 3 years now, very little maintenance and he really likes it. Sorry, don't have any details on it tho.

Comment

Curious... Where does the waste material go?

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
            That’s just it. It’s basically a very expensive bucket that you empty into a compost pile. It doesn’t just go away.

Comment

I built an off the grid cabin in Kentucky back in 2012. Rainwater catchment system into a cistern, Honda eu2000 generator to pump water up to sinks and shower. Worked like a charm.

Potty was a Lovable Loo (found it online during my research for compost toilets back then): https://loveableloo.store/

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lovable Loo.png
Views:	1
Size:	434.6 KB
ID:	24649886

I bought a big 'ol scoop and a bag of peat moss, which I kept in a clean, nice looking 5-gallon bucket. It worked like a champ. No scent whatsoever. And I just tossed the contents (when full) into the woods. I lined the bucket with a garbage bag in the beginning and would toss it out with the garbage. Eventually, I just gave it back to the earth. Some folks use it in their gardens - humanure, they call it .

Anyway, I'd highly recommend it. Used it for years. Looked nice, was comfortable just like a potty (the wife and son approved), and was as cheap as dirt (or peat moss).

Comment

Do you put in cabin or a separate building like a out house ?

Comment

You can put them in the Cabin or House but I got a separate hygiene shack. Texas is one of the 25 or so states where it's legal to use the compost on plants ..trees ..etc. So I guess the oak trees will like it ..

Comment

I have the Separrett villa 9215 in my container cabin and love it. The built in exhaust fan works amazing. No smells

If you get one I keep coffee can of sawdust in bathroom also for extra heavy use.
                    Attached Files

Comment

We also have the Separrett villa 9215 - this is the way to go. Sawdust or just a can of loose dirt helps immediate smells. I bag it and remove the last visit when I arrive the next time. Its always rock hard and no smell.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
                        In a removable trash bag. On the NH and Separett they have a built in exhaust fan that basically drys everything out and pipes all smells out.

Only down side is you can't pee standing up w/either as pee is separated so things don't stink as bad.

Comment

I use a bucket and plastic bag all the time out on job sites. Wish I knew I could make money off of the idea.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

I stayed at a cabin down in the land cut at 9 mile that had one. It was pretty great. It was big though, had a step or two up to it and a large drum under it that tumbled the poo. You threw in some sawdust or moss after you used it and gave it a few spins and you were done. No mess and no smell.

Comment

I drop my deuces in a Home Depot bucket. I use the compostable trash bags from Kroger to line it with. Started using kitty litter for the smell...and bury it. The holes I dig can handle quite a few bags. It does require some work, but it’s pretty cheap to do.

Comment

Working...
                              X