Clear All

I do believe this will work
    Click image for larger version

Name:	AB7BAF27-C869-41BB-9E2F-CF179A6DCEEB.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	24650265

Comment

I have used old bicycle tire innertubes and they last forever. Instead of 2 smaller separate hinges, I made 1 long one that went the entire length of the cooler lid. Similar to a piano hinge.

Comment

cooler

Cow ear tags. If they are the medicated ones it keeps bugs away

Comment

My granddad would use leather from an old football.

Comment

We had to buy some new hinges for one of our Igloos. Husband found them at Academy. That said, I like what someone mentioned earlier about using brass or piano hinges because I'm not a big fan of plastic either.

Comment

Web belt

Comment

Years ago Academy gave them away for free for Igloo coolers.

Comment

The flexible material is a better option than the metal hinge. The leather or fabric hinge will flex more and put less stress on the screws. I’ve used stainless hinges before on my boat coolers and they tore the screws out of the plastic any time they were put in a bind. The flexible material will be more forgiving.

Comment

I used a piece of conveyor belt I found at work. It was 1/8 or 3/16 thick which I didn’t know we even had any that thin. Belts are usually 1/4 or thicker.
                    Anyways, it works and should last a lifetime.

Comment

Originally posted by TxBowHntr View Post
                      I have used old bicycle tire innertubes and they last forever. Instead of 2 smaller separate hinges, I made 1 long one that went the entire length of the cooler lid. Similar to a piano hinge.
                      LOts of good ideas, dang I fixed my last one about 5 times wish I hadn't thrown it away.

This and the belt ideas are great, I'm a jerry rigger not sure why I didn't think of it

igloo sale comin up in Katy June and I'm well over due

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
                        The flexible material is a better option than the metal hinge. The leather or fabric hinge will flex more and put less stress on the screws. I’ve used stainless hinges before on my boat coolers and they tore the screws out of the plastic any time they were put in a bind. The flexible material will be more forgiving.
                        Yes, but won’t the lid be “floppy” when it’s lifted? I wouldn’t think the lid would “stand” while it’s open either, would it?

These two things would be deal breakers for me.

Comment

I tie a shoe string correct length to a washer screw on the lid and chest, and kept it from flopping. lasts longer than the hinges

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
                            Yes, but won’t the lid be “floppy” when it’s lifted? I wouldn’t think the lid would “stand” while it’s open either, would it?

These two things would be deal breakers for me.
                            You would be right about the lid being floppy. But I plan on setting the cooler up where the lid will have a backing, like a table leg. This cooler is more for storage of food that needs to stay chilled. So it won’t be opened up a lot. The other smaller one will have the cold beverages in it!!!

Comment

I believe Igloo, Coleman and similar companies make more selling hinges to folks post-sale than they do selling the product in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
                                You would be right about the lid being floppy. But I plan on setting the cooler up where the lid will have a backing, like a table leg. This cooler is more for storage of food that needs to stay chilled. So it won’t be opened up a lot. The other smaller one will have the cold beverages in it!!!
                                Whew sqiggy, thanks for letting us all know you have a proper way to keep the important beverages at an icy temp even with frequent lid openings! Tow strap, old belt and firehose hinges will work just fine for mere food storage coolers, but keeping The Choicest Product Of The Brewers’ Art cold requires first class equipment!

Comment

Working...
                                X