Reloading set up's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reloading set up's

Thinking of maybe starting to reload my own cartridges.... I know nothing about it but would like to see what ya'll think about the idea? Would it be worth it as I'm not a heavy shooter, maybe 6 or 8 times a year. Would only reload 9mm, .270 and 30-06. I would entertain anyone who has complete reloading kits for sale for reasonable price.

Cost wise, it probably is not worth it unless you just get a sweet deal on the equipment and components if you don't shoot a lot.

In your case, reloading would be worthwhile if you are looking for better performance out of your guns, rather than to save money. Just my opinion.

Comment

I honestly don’t think you could have picked a worse time to get into reloading in the history of ever lol.

For your shooting no. It won’t save you money. But you’ll eventually be able to produce far superior ammo than most factory offerings.

Ammo is way easier to find than reloading components right now. And for the foreseeable future unfortunately.

Comment

Don’t go into it expecting to save money, but you can produce better ammo that is tuned to your rifles. As mentioned, now is a terrible time to get into this. Basically impossible to find primers, and powder and bullets are scarce.

Comment

OK, thanks for the input.... Might need to wait and see how things go for a while.

Comment

I don't think reloading 9mm would be cost (or time) effective in general, even before the recent panic. Reloading for the hobby and love of the process is one thing, but I'm assuming .270 and 30-06 as caliber choices reflect a hunting discipline and not a precision marksmanship/competition one*. If so, paying the premium for hunting ammo like Nosler Trophy Grade or similar is still more cost effective that reloading. Also consider the likely capability of the rifle's accuracy potential; hand loads may not be materially meaningful if it isn't a meticulously built custom rifle. As trophy8 mentioned, reloading components can be a difficult task to acquire as well.

I use Nosler trophy grade for my .270wsm hunting rifle with factory r700 barrel and got really lucky to have just under sub-MOA results. I hand load for my 300wm build to squeeze more accuracy with load development.

*if you're doing a high dollar hunt like big horn sheep or something, I wouldn't blame you for hand loading for a $10K+ shot 600yds across a canyon.
            Last edited by yardsale; 12-22-2020, 11:53 PM.

Comment

I have had this reloading hobby since the late 70's and thoroughly enjoy it. If you are just getting into it, you are not going to save money by doing it. You have to look at it as a hobby you want to get into and enjoy.

I also reload for friends and work up loads for their rifles, when I have time. It is tedious and you have to have the temperament for it, a lot of guys don't. But for me, it is one thing I can go to and completely forget about the world around me for the time I am doing it because for safety reasons, it has to have your undivided attention.

Comment

I shoot a bunch so i reload, if i didn't, i wouldn't. And like stated above this is probably the worst time ever to reload. I expect loaded ammo will be widely available before components are. If you shoot a few hundred or less a year of pistol and 100 or so less of rifle, it is probably not going to be worth your time unless you have a caliber that you can't find ammo for (I am talking normal times, not right now).

Comment

I have been reloading since 1973. I soon hope that I will finally break even. But I have an addiction to wildcat calibers, and that's the only way to keep the oddballs running. Plus, I have survived several ammo shortages with no kinds of hardship.

Comment

I reload for two rifles because I never found factory loads that were as accurate. I reload for .44 Special, .44 Magnum, and .41 Magnum because I shoot them quite a bit. Otherwise, I wouldn’t reload. Except for the panics that the unprepared have been experiencing, pistol ammo to practice with is cheap enough, and who uses that much ammo just to hunt ? It depends on your needs !

Comment

I have enjoyed reloading and I have enjoyed hunting with loads I’ve made. I used to shoot a lot, then I had kids and my time quickly dwindled to “run by Walmart on the way out of town and pick up a box of Corelokts”. I still load, especially for particularly expensive chamberings. Now that my kids are capable of burning through some ammo, I’m keeping an eye on my inventory and will try to outlast the shortage before stocking back up.

The only reason I would go to the trouble of getting equipment and components at this point is if I just couldn’t find any source for ammo for a particular gun. Otherwise it is very unlikely that you’d ever break even.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

You can still find a few of these on ebay. The little Lee Loader was my first reloading tool I bought in 1968. Still have it and sometime still use the neck reamer. Works for any 30 cal. These things never wear out https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lee-Loader-...gAAOSwDiZf4S3J

Comment

Been reloading shotgun shells for 40years but not much on pistol or rifle.

Comment

Reloading is a hobby of its own. It’s not for saving money it’s like getting a chemistry set for Christmas. But it’s real serious you have to research and go by the book. If you do it for saving money you will not be happy. If you do it for accuracy it is a challenge. But it is a great hobby and can get into it as little or as big as you want. I showed bluelund79 about reloading in 2012 and he told me the other day I created a monster he is really into it now and teaching his son.

Comment

I looked at reloading bismuth shotgun shells and the bismuth per shell is more than I can get loaded ones for.

Comment

Working...
                              X