Scope mount help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scope mount help

I just recently purchased a Vortex Viper 6.5-20X50 from a fellow TBH and I plan on mounting it to my Tikka T3 Lite in 270. I currently have a Nikon Buckmaster on there and it has a 1" tube diameter. When I purchased my Tikka, it had scope rings that came with it and they were 1" medium rings which worked fine with my 40mm objective. Now that I went to a 50mm objective will I need to get high scope rings? I know I need to get 30mm rings because that is what my tube size is for my new Vortex scope. Also, what brands do yall recommend? I have been looking at Warne who make rings specifically for the Tikka's. Do I need to go that route or can I just buy any 30mm rings?

I have 4 tikkas 2 have DNZ and 2 have Talley rings. Honestly I have had almost every combo on Tikka's and these 2 options are the only way I will go.

Comment

Talley Light Weights. They recommend medium height for your setup.

Comment

Go Tally Lite Weight.

Medium is the sure answer but Low works sometimes, depends on barrel contour and how far forward you mount the scope.

Comment

Give the DNZ a look. I have them on 2 of my rifles. Very good mounts. I would think that a medium height would work for that set up also.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
            Go Tally Lite Weight.

Medium is the sure answer but Low works sometimes, depends on barrel contour and how far forward you mount the scope.
            This^

Comment

I just went through all this before buying my rings.

The best thing to do is use the coin method. Place two stacks of coins on the barrel where the rings will go. Place your scope on those coins. When you find the best spot, measure the coins with a caliper tool. Check the correct measurements of each scope ring. Don't go by the traditional (low, medium, high). That is way to general. If you do it this way, you will be dead on with your purchase.

Scope rings will either give you the measurement to the bottom of the ring (inside), or to the center of the ring. If its the latter, add 1/2 the diameter of whatever size tube your using. This will get you the correct measurement.
              Last edited by Blitz; 08-28-2020, 08:18 AM.

Comment

Thanks everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by TXMark View Post
                  Give the DNZ a look. I have them on 2 of my rifles. Very good mounts. I would think that a medium height would work for that set up also.

I’m a dnz fan myself. Medium dnz runs a little high it seems. I think it would work

Comment

Working...
                  X