Let’s talk arrows and broad heads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let’s talk arrows and broad heads

I’m new to compound bow hunting and looking for info and advice. I’ll primarily be hunting white tails and hogs with the bow. I’ve heard different arguments on light and fast arrows or heavy and deep penetration arrows.

What arrow setup do I need to ensure when I let one fly at a whitetail that it’s going to get the job done?

What grain broadhead with what grain arrow?

Carbon, aluminum, graphite arrows?

A certain length arrow?

Single bevel, double bevel broadheads?

And what about FOC?

Thanks for any help or advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's your draw length and draw weight on your bow?

Comment

Never go lighter than recommended spine. Having an arrow go thru your forearm won’t feel good!!!

As stated above, the answers you need will depend solely on your draw length and weight!

Comment

Originally posted by highspeed View Post
        What's your draw length and draw weight on your bow?

28in and 55lb

Comment

In my opinion, and this is my stance on it, is that too many new bow hunters are worried about FOC, Arrow Weight, heavy broadheads, etc. I never even heard about FOC until a year or so ago.

Unfortunately the some of the easiest info to find online are guys who are good at making videos but have limited hunting experience touting the best broadheads and arrow set ups based on their experience shooting a few hogs.

Personally, for a whitetail rig, I want a carbon arrow that is around the 430-450 grain weight flying around the 280+ fps range. I like a big mechanical 3 blade….the grim reaper, wasp jackhammer, rage 3 blade chisel tip, etc. for fixed blades I like Slicktrick or 3 blade muzzy although for deer I much prefer an expandable broadhead.

Single bevel, 3:1 ratio type heads work great for low energy Traditional bows that lack the KE of modern compound.

My kids are shooting slick tricks with great success out of 50 lb compound bows. Arrows are right at 400 grains

I like mechanicals personally because of the extreme amount of damage they cause combined with a wide cutting diameter giving you some margin of error but you need a little more horsepower to push them
          Last edited by txtrophy85; 08-20-2022, 03:38 PM.

Comment

My dad has a somewhat similar setup as you. 26/50 so you got more juice than him. Got him shooting a 400 spine axis with 75 gr insert and 100 gr head. Last year used Magnus and this year he’s going to use Simmons mako. Last year he zipped right through all the deer he shot. Main thing is sharp and hit where your aiming

As stated above 430-450 would be plenty, 500 on the top end if you wanna go all out

Comment

Originally posted by kd350 View Post
              My dad has a somewhat similar setup as you. 26/50 so you got more juice than him. Got him shooting a 400 spine axis with 75 gr insert and 100 gr head. Last year used Magnus and this year he’s going to use Simmons mako. Last year he zipped right through all the deer he shot. Main thing is sharp and hit where your aiming

As stated above 430-450 would be plenty, 500 on the top end if you wanna go all out

So your dads arrows are 575gr total? Also when you say magus and Simmons mako. Are these brands of arrows or what’re we talking here.

Sorry I’m new in the game and trying to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by Abrooks118 View Post
                So your dads arrows are 575gr total? Also when you say magus and Simmons mako. Are these brands of arrows or what’re we talking here.

450ish total for his arrows. Magnus and Simmons are broadheads; for arrows he’s shooting easton axis

Comment

450ish total for his arrows. Magnus and Simmons are broadheads; for arrows he’s shooting easton axis

Thank you sir I appreciate your help

Comment

Thank you sir I appreciate your help

Head to Texas archery in spring. They’ll hook you up

Comment

Those guys are great.

You really just need to pick a good arrow and make sure its spined correctly for whatever you decide to go with broadhead/insert weight wise. Dont get too wrapped up in FOC, guys have been killing deer for a long time before FOC was talked about or studied. There is some science behind it but it can drive you nuts trying to get it perfect. Over spined arrow is better than under spined arrows.

Comment

I'd go with the go see a pro shop method. I'm a big KISS guy myself (Keep it simple stupid), and since you're just starting I'd focus more on learning form and shooting the bow a lot. Archery is a giant rabbit hole and you can get lost in the sauce real quick. If you're just wanting to hunt your best bet is keep up with string maintenance and let someone (archery shop) tune your bow and guide you. Also I don't know if you're on ArcheryTalk but there are infinite forums on things like this, Nuts and Bolts is a heck of guy and knows quite a bit. Check out his posts on arrow weights if you really want to dig into it.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeM View Post
                          Those guys are great.

You really just need to pick a good arrow and make sure its spined correctly for whatever you decide to go with broadhead/insert weight wise. Dont get too wrapped up in FOC, guys have been killing deer for a long time before FOC was talked about or studied. There is some science behind it but it can drive you nuts trying to get it perfect. Over spined arrow is better than under spined arrows.

Thank you. Do you have any recommendations on an arrow? I will just be hunting white tails and pigs with this bow.

Comment

Will do. Thanks again

Comment

Spine is the stiffness of an arrow. The smaller the number the stiffer the arrow.
                              My wife shoots 50 lbs bow with 400 spine Easton Axis arrows and 75 grain inserts with 125 grain broad heads. Like others have mention I would go to a bow shop and let them set your bow up with arrows that match it.

Comment

Working...
                              X