Classic pinball machine refurbish/repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recently picked this up, at a garage sale. Had zero intentions of looking for or buying a pinball machine at the time, but it was too cool and too good a price. It was produced by Williams in 1989. The game was originally slated to be Batman, but at the last minute Data East got the license, and this model was quickly transitioned to Police Force (Basically Zootopia for adults). I could have turned this for a quick buck, but I love money pits so I’ve decided to refurb the machine and place it in our movie room.

For a 30+ year old machine, the electronic boards were in great shape with exception to main CPU board which had major alkaline damage from the AA batteries. I ordered a new CPU and had absolute fits due to a poor product and customer service. But have since returned the old and ordered another new CPU by a very reputable builder. That won’t come until late October, so I figured I’d make a follow along for all the rebuild that needs to be done while I wait.

I plan on disassembling playfield (cleaning/waxing), replacing rubbers, lights (to LED), reflowing connector pins on all boards, replacing capacitors on power supply, building new score displays, and overall just getting this thing back into playing condition.

Any pinball guys on here, who have suggestions for the project?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man that looks cool. Reminds me of my youth.

Comment

Awesome. Following!

Comment

Pulled power supply and replaced capacitors today. And started taking apart playfield

Comment

Played a lot of pinball in the '70s. The playfield looks very very familiar. But not the name/labeling.

Edit: In fact, I'm almost certain I've played that field before under a different name. Just can't remember what it is.

Comment

Every year I ask for a pinball machine for Christmas and my Birthday. Santa and My family might need their ears checked.

I love old school pinball. Takes me back to a Pizza Hut. With 4 games. Red plastic cups. Good pizza (or so I thought) great times.

Comment

You had me at “I love money pits”. Cool project man. Love pinball.

Comment

Playfield is just about taken down enough for rubber replacement access, and wax/polish. Will also take this time, to check coils, ball diverter, and all components that aren’t normally accessible during routine maintenance.

Have done my best to keep parts and hardware together, and have taken 100s of pictures.

Last edited by BOWtechnicianTX; 08-21-2022, 07:55 AM.

Comment

Oh wow. What a project.

Comment

1000 kinds of awesome, love breathing some new life into something old and very cool, keep up the progress and pictures. Nicely done so far!

Comment

Dang Cool

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
                        Every year I ask for a pinball machine for Christmas and my Birthday. Santa and My family might need their ears checked.

I love old school pinball. Takes me back to a Pizza Hut. With 4 games. Red plastic cups. Good pizza (or so I thought) great times.

That and the table top Pac-Man.

I would have never thought of the pinball refurb but this does seem like an awesome project. If I had room for one….

Comment

Originally posted by Jtrage View Post
                          That and the table top Pac-Man.

I would have never thought of the pinball refurb but this does seem like an awesome project. If I had room for one….

I probably don’t have the room. My wife doesn’t know it’s going in the movie room yet lol. I’ve started touching up some of the playfield parts. It’s gonna clean up great.

I will say, cleaning up is gonna be the easiest part. Tackling a 30 year old electrical system is a challenge to come.

Comment

Cool project

Comment

Had a chance to wipe playfield completely down today. A damp cloth and some elbow grease went a long way. Here are some before and after photos of various areas of the play field.

Wax/polish and a full set of rubber replacement arrived today. So additional playfield pictures will be coming soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X