Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics

Old 07-29-2022, 03:20 PM   #1551
bgleaton
Ten Point

Hunt In: Menard County, TX
Default Pictures

Here's a couple good pictures of the pretty 10-point and his history over the years.
Name:  07280462 (Large).jpg
Views: 1041
Size:  127.4 KB

Name:  07280463 (Large).jpg
Views: 1031
Size:  100.5 KB

Name:  10pt History.jpg
Views: 1024
Size:  71.3 KB

We are going to let this buck walk this year as well. We think he is a 6yr old based on our history.
bgleaton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-29-2022, 03:48 PM   #1552
Gumbo Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Between Onalaska and Groveton

Very nice buck.
Gumbo Man is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-29-2022, 10:15 PM   #1553
Droptine3030
Six Point

Hunt In: San Angelo

Great updates here lately.
Droptine3030 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-29-2022, 10:42 PM   #1554
C-dubyah
Eight Point

Great looking place, I did not look at every post because of the amount but I did see the beginning posts. I would love to help you out with that turkey population if you need it. Name your price if you like. There is nothing better, to me, than turkeys in the spring.
C-dubyah is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2022, 08:12 AM   #1555
bgleaton
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droptine3030 View Post
Great updates here lately.
Thanks! It's interesting to see which bucks year after year. We are curious what that magic age will be for our place on when we should go after trophies. We were thinking 7 or 8yrs but we'll see what some of these older bucks do next year.
Old 08-02-2022, 10:08 AM   #1556
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

Man that buck has blown up! Maybe hard to pass this year but given your circumstances I think yall are making the right decision
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2022, 12:04 PM   #1557
bgleaton
Ten Point

Has anyone tried fortified cottonseed? We put out 1,000lbs of it last week and the deer haven’t touch it. Our deer love regular cottonseed so I figured it maybe just take some time to get used to it since it’s new. I love the fact that it has added minerals, just need the deer to eat it.
Old 08-02-2022, 03:29 PM   #1558
Puncher51
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mason, Callahan, and Stonewall Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgleaton View Post
Has anyone tried fortified cottonseed? We put out 1,000lbs of it last week and the deer haven’t touch it. Our deer love regular cottonseed so I figured it maybe just take some time to get used to it since it’s new. I love the fact that it has added minerals, just need the deer to eat it.
We used it last year. Deer hammered it. I couldn’t keep enough out. Do you mind sharing where you are getting yours and the price? I was getting mine for $11/bag last year, but they wouldn’t order me anymore.
Puncher51 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2022, 03:48 PM   #1559
bgleaton
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puncher51 View Post
We used it last year. Deer hammered it. I couldn’t keep enough out. Do you mind sharing where you are getting yours and the price? I was getting mine for $11/bag last year, but they wouldn’t order me anymore.
That's great to hear! They ate through all of our 5,000lbs of cottonseed around the end of April and have only been feeding protein since then so maybe it will take them some time to get back on it.

Tractor Supply stores have it in stock. The Stephenville, TX store had 82 bags of it and we purchased 20 bags at $13/bag.
Old 08-02-2022, 04:02 PM   #1560
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia Nebraska

Quote:
Here's a couple good pictures of the pretty 10-point and his history over the years.
Attachment 1096705

Attachment 1096706

Attachment 1096707

We are going to let this buck walk this year as well. We think he is a 6yr old based on our history.
Let him get to 8....
You might be shocked..
He's a dandy.
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2022, 04:09 PM   #1561
bgleaton
Ten Point

Default Buck History

Here are a couple other bucks we have history with that we are letting go another year. Let me know your thoughts on the ages I have listed.
Name:  8pt History.jpg
Views: 1041
Size:  99.1 KB
This guy has been an 8pt but this year has turned into an 11pt.

Name:  Wide 8pt History.jpg
Views: 1034
Size:  91.1 KB

Name:  Big Brows History.jpg
Views: 951
Size:  91.7 KB
This is the buck we were hoping would take a huge jump up this year but I'm assuming this years drought has really hurt him in terms of antler growth. Hoping he gets even bigger next year. We have him aged at 6yrs but he could be a 7yr old.

Name:  Other 10pt History.jpg
Views: 930
Size:  78.6 KB
This was a buck we thought was 6yrs old last year and this year is a pretty 10pt. Just a pretty buck!
Old 08-04-2022, 01:05 PM   #1562
Fajkus7
Ten Point

Hunt In: Conroe, Doss

Great bucks
Fajkus7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2022, 08:26 AM   #1563
gingib
Pope & Young

Shoot that 8
Old 08-09-2022, 09:53 AM   #1564
Chance Love
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country and South Texas

Once an 8 always an 8!!!

You've got some good ones to look forward to in a couple years. A lot of ours are either gonna be smaller this year, or are just "behind" with where they were at this time last year. I got tired of being disappointed with them, so I turned off my cameras for a while. Will turn them back on in a few weeks and hopefully be surprised. But most likely most of them will get a pass. We've always thought year 8 was our best year to target them, but sometimes at 9 or 10 they throw their best set of horns by far. Have no issues with letting them walk a while. Even if they were to continue to get smaller, at least we get some more breeding out of them. But for us if they are "big enough" at 8, we sure might want to take an up close look!
Chance Love is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2022, 11:09 AM   #1565
bgleaton
Ten Point

Here’s a picture of that non-typical buck. Bucks are looking healthy. We only got 0.10in yesterday unfortunately but there’s more chances today and the next 7 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-19-2022, 11:16 AM   #1566
Puncher51
Ten Point

That’s such a cool looking deer.
Old 08-19-2022, 09:58 PM   #1567
jason86
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kinney county

Y’all are definitely doing it right
jason86 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-21-2022, 07:41 PM   #1568
SV72
Ten Point

Hunt In: Menard

Love your thread. We hunt Menard and your pictures give me hope that the mature bucks we passed might have some nice racks this year despite the conditions. Thanks.
SV72 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-22-2022, 10:52 AM   #1569
gingib
Pope & Young

Man that non typical looks nice. Anymore pics from head on or the front?
Old 08-22-2022, 01:13 PM   #1570
Big pig
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brown Co.

Lots of rain today. Good luck

1.9” in Brown county
Water was running off like crazy in the hills and in town
Big pig is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-22-2022, 02:18 PM   #1571
cehorn
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brown County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big pig View Post
Lots of rain today. Good luck

1.9” in Brown county
Water was running off like crazy in the hills and in town
Looks like we got some as well. I'm hoping we got close to what you got, we definitely need it.
cehorn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-22-2022, 07:10 PM   #1572
bgleaton
Ten Point

I’m happy to hear some received rainfall. Our weather station shows 1.37in today so that’s 1.5in for that week. Not much runoff but better than nothing. Our house in Dallas got over 13in in 24-hours. I wish that cell that hit Dallas would have hit west, central, and south Texas.
Old 08-22-2022, 07:10 PM   #1573
bgleaton
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingib View Post
Man that non typical looks nice. Anymore pics from head on or the front?
I’m trying to find one and will post one once I get one.
Old 08-31-2022, 04:38 PM   #1574
bgleaton
Ten Point

We got our #'s back from the biologist and they recommend we shoot 9 bucks and 10 does this fall. Here are the #'s based on our 3 spotlight counts:
Acres/Deer - 4
Does/Buck - 0.61
Fawns/Doe - 0.79

Our goal is to hammer the deer herd again this fall, similar to last year, so we can get our herd around 1 deer/6 to 7 acres. We won't be shooting any trophies this fall but will shoot 2 to 3 6+yr old bucks and then try to remove the worst looking buck in each age class. I will post up pictures of the bucks we are after as we get closer to the season. Have a good one!
Old 08-31-2022, 04:50 PM   #1575
Big pig
Pope & Young

Thanks for that update
Anxious to see your worst 6.5 yr olds
I have only killed a couple / 3 my entire life
Old 09-01-2022, 10:51 AM   #1576
gingib
Pope & Young

Quote:
We got our #'s back from the biologist and they recommend we shoot 9 bucks and 10 does this fall. Here are the #'s based on our 3 spotlight counts:
Acres/Deer - 4
Does/Buck - 0.61
Fawns/Doe - 0.79

Our goal is to hammer the deer herd again this fall, similar to last year, so we can get our herd around 1 deer/6 to 7 acres. We won't be shooting any trophies this fall but will shoot 2 to 3 6+yr old bucks and then try to remove the worst looking buck in each age class. I will post up pictures of the bucks we are after as we get closer to the season. Have a good one!
Great plan! I love it
Old 09-06-2022, 11:43 AM   #1577
Digimont
Nubbin' Buck

Subscribed. Awesome place
Digimont is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2022, 08:34 PM   #1578
bgleaton
Ten Point

Default Native Habitat Status - 9-22-2022

My twin brother and I went to the ranch for a day to check on a couple of our feeders and drove around to see how the property was looking. We have only had 11in of total rain this year but the 3+ inches in August really helped our habitat. We are seeing all kinds of native bunch grasses that are anywhere from 2 to 5ft tall, which is great to see for fawns, turkey nests, and quail. We are also seeing a lot of quality forbs growing around these larger grass clumps because they are keeping the soil shaded and cooler. Allowing our property to rest from grazing is the only reason we are seeing such a big response in native grasses this year. Here are some pictures we took this past trip of the native habitat:
Name:  1 (Large).jpg
Views: 265
Size:  308.4 KB

Name:  2 (Large).jpg
Views: 268
Size:  226.6 KB

Name:  3 (Large).jpg
Views: 267
Size:  342.2 KB

Name:  4 (Large).jpg
Views: 271
Size:  100.3 KB

Name:  5 (Large).jpg
Views: 274
Size:  257.8 KB

Name:  6 (Large).jpg
Views: 269
Size:  388.7 KB

Name:  7 (Large).jpg
Views: 266
Size:  362.4 KB

Name:  8 (Large).jpg
Views: 266
Size:  351.3 KB

Name:  9 (Large).jpg
Views: 263
Size:  333.8 KB

Name:  11 (Large).jpg
Views: 263
Size:  295.8 KB

I know these aren't as exciting as seeing big bucks but I have to say that we were very pleasantly surprised to see how much grasses and forbs we had out there. The areas we have seeded with Turner's Native Seed Mix are doing extremely well.

We are hoping we start seeing some wet weather coming our way over the next 2 to 3 weeks so we can come up with our fall food plot planting for this year. I'll be sure to let you know as we get closer. We are just hoping we get some rain in October to have a successful stand this year. Have a good evening!
Old 09-22-2022, 09:43 PM   #1579
Puncher51
Ten Point

Glad to see the habitat pics just as much as the deer!
Old 09-22-2022, 09:54 PM   #1580
Droptine3030
Six Point

Hunt In: San Angelo

Man that looks great, what a turnaround a little help from Mother Nature can make. Love seeing the grasses.
Droptine3030 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2022, 08:25 AM   #1581
TKRanch
Ten Point

It is amazing how Mother Nature in Texas can rebound so well, especially when you take the mouths off the land!!! Well done looking good!!
TKRanch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2022, 01:57 PM   #1582
bgleaton
Ten Point

We haven't seen any turkey poults on our property the past two years so we are hoping that the taller bunch grasses helps our turkey population thrive and give them a chance. Hopefully this will end up helping all of the wildlife. Once the grasses get really tall we will have to think about either grazing them down to reduce 50% of the grasses and allow forbs to grow for the deer herd or conduct some control burns.
Old 09-26-2022, 09:47 AM   #1583
gingib
Pope & Young

Grazing them down isnt a bad option. I would wait until after season.

Cows can put a damper on a management plan
Old 09-26-2022, 02:46 PM   #1584
bgleaton
Ten Point

Agreed! We wouldn't graze the grasses down until March of next year but I'm tempted to find other alternatives without using cows. It's probably not in the cattle ranchers best interest to only graze our small property for 1 to 2 months out of the year. That's a lot of work for not a lot of return for him.

Good news is that we received 0.85in of rain last night. It was a pleasant surprise!
Old 09-26-2022, 07:09 PM   #1585
TKRanch
Ten Point

Quote:
Agreed! We wouldn't graze the grasses down until March of next year but I'm tempted to find other alternatives without using cows. It's probably not in the cattle ranchers best interest to only graze our small property for 1 to 2 months out of the year. That's a lot of work for not a lot of return for him.

Good news is that we received 0.85in of rain last night. It was a pleasant surprise!
I used to hunt a ranch down in Freer that would go out early in the year and buy a wad of young feeder cattle and let them eat the place down for a few months then trailer them to the sale barn and dump them never having "paid" to feed them... it was 6500 acres though. It did work well for them. That said, if you have a neighbor that has cattle he might enjoy resting his place for a few months and that would be an easy fix!!
Old 09-27-2022, 08:03 AM   #1586
bgleaton
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKRanch View Post
I used to hunt a ranch down in Freer that would go out early in the year and buy a wad of young feeder cattle and let them eat the place down for a few months then trailer them to the sale barn and dump them never having "paid" to feed them... it was 6500 acres though. It did work well for them. That said, if you have a neighbor that has cattle he might enjoy resting his place for a few months and that would be an easy fix!!
Thanks for your input! The neighbor has a guy that puts a lot of cattle on her place but they are kept on there too long and it's overgrazed. Our place is only 400 acres so it wouldn't take too long. I wonder if someone would unload cows there for 30 to 45 days and then come pick them up? It sounds like a lot of work for someone and not much return for them. The guys we have talked to in past want to graze for at least 6 months, which is too long.
Old 09-27-2022, 08:42 AM   #1587
TKRanch
Ten Point

Quote:
Thanks for your input! The neighbor has a guy that puts a lot of cattle on her place but they are kept on there too long and it's overgrazed. Our place is only 400 acres so it wouldn't take too long. I wonder if someone would unload cows there for 30 to 45 days and then come pick them up? It sounds like a lot of work for someone and not much return for them. The guys we have talked to in past want to graze for at least 6 months, which is too long.
Yep, it is all about the numbers for sure! The ranch I referred to was crossfenced and would move them from pasture to pasture as they got the amount they felt comfortable with grazed down so they never over grazed. I believe they usually had them on for about 3 to 4 months, but some years with drought they did not do it. Maybe you could do more time for someone with fewer head?? It is certainly a balance and not an easy one! Good luck.
Old 09-27-2022, 10:13 AM   #1588
gingib
Pope & Young

Quote:
Yes someone will. Make it free and its your land, you set the rules
Old Yesterday, 09:15 PM   #1589
Big pig
Pope & Young

Quote:
If you have a neighbor with cows and could move them without trailering he would love it. Leased my grazing for 30 yrs to a good neighbor. He took them out in fall thru deer season