Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does everyone need a magnum caliber?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't you hate that.
    I hate to tell this story on myself but I was harassed by a squirrel all day one day while sitting in a climber.It started about 10 minutes after sunup.He spotted something wrong and announced it to the world. I figure he'll go away and ignore.this guy keeps it up barking,ruining my hunt until 11:30. Climbing the tree next to me barking in my my face,etc.
    At this point I'm Ill and hungry and the little fella is doing an up and down barking floor show on a downed oak(left to right and back) about 40 yards away.Back and forth like a shooting gallery!
    He stopped I shot to get him out of the gene pool with my 30-06 figuring he would be minced meat! one little hole like I hit him with a 22.had him for dinner.
    Our forefathers thought a 30-30 or a 250 savage was enough back in the day and it was!

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
      I think they both instill “over confidence”, for different reasons. Either way, the cartridge is not to blame.

I despise the 30-30 to this day, though I’ve never owned one. Seemed like when I was a kid, every time we had to go track a deer after dinner, it was shot with a 30-30. Also not likely the cartridges fault….still hate to see one in camp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      I was typing while you posted.I bought a 30-30 in 1985 hearing all of the stuff and one day i put to the test and nailed a groundhog at 150 yards.Now I know that ain't no record but it far surpassed every thing I had HEARD about one.It was a Marlin 336.I regret that I don't still own it. It ALWAYS comes down to shot placement!! If you can hit a mini poodle at 150 you can take out the lungs of a deer.I ain't the gun it's the shooter at that point IMO

Comment

In honor of you guys, I’ll do my best to kill a deer with my 30-30 and 7mm Rem Mag.

The others will more than likely be shot with a 22-250 in the neck.

Comment

I’m a Long action fan rather than a short action.
          I’ve had a couple of magnums, just didn’t shoot them enough to appreciate them I guess.
          I did like the .264 Win mag.

25/06 and .280 are my go to sticks.

I definitely hear where you’re coming from though, one trip to the local academy or ammo place and you’ll surely hear someone praising their magnum rifle… or their 6.5 creedmoor

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
            If you hunt where there is really thick brush like south Texas you might want atleast a 7mag so they don’t go more than 50ft. A lot of times the small caliber they run 50-200 yds and you might not find them or have a hell of a time trying especially at night. I likem laying in the sendero especially if I’m wearing my crocs. Lol
            And if this is how YOU roll hit them in the neck breaking their spine! If you don't hit something it's like the squirrel I spoke of earlier! It don't matter how fast it went through. if your not a good shot takeout the shoulder ruining 30% of your meat

Like Mosley said a big hole through the lungs they will run.They don't know that they are dead YET! They will run.
            Last edited by kwarw; 09-08-2021, 11:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampBuck View Post
              I’m a Long action fan rather than a short action.
              I’ve had a couple of magnums, just didn’t shoot them enough to appreciate them I guess.
              I did like the .264 Win mag.

25/06 and .280 are my go to sticks.

I definitely hear where you’re coming from though, one trip to the local academy or ammo place and you’ll surely hear someone praising their magnum rifle… or their 6.5 creedmoor
              One of the best calibers ever invented is the 6.5 SWEDE. 6.5 Creedmore is an answer to a problem that never existed for a hunting round. Now fo rlong range target yes.

The 280 was perhaps the best hunting caliber that ever was! or wasn't cause it didn't get the spotlight like the 270 and Jack O'Connor gun writers back in the 60'S.

And your other choice is another wildcat necked down 30-06 to .257 which is a laser beam death missile.I like the way you roll.

Not that anyone cares about my opinion and to answer the ops question.I don't think you NEED a magnum to kill a deer.Now if your gonna go downtown I usually carry my 357.

Comment

After 48 years of hunting deer the only consistent caliber issue I hear is complaints about the 7mm magnum and I don’t understand it. My 7mm-08 never had one run past 40 yards. Farthest I’ve had one go was shot through both lungs with a 12ga slug and went about 100 yards to drop almost exactly where she was hit. The magnums are fun to shoot and definitely have there place. I just don’t want to get kicked that hard anymore.

Comment

I wonder if a lot of the complaints that are generally heard pertaining to magnums comes from people using light for caliber ammo that’s not a properly constructed bullet or a shooter that’s not disciplined enough to handle shooting a harder kicking magnum resulting in poor shots.

Seems like these days alot of calibers are getting a bad rep because jo blow walks into the ammo place and grabs the latest and greatest advertised “target” bullet and not an actual hunting bullet not knowing any better and just falling for advertising.

Comment

I’ve had em run 100+ yds when shot with a 300win. Had a buck go 100+ on broken shoulders and no lungs from a 45-70. Never had that same tracking job with a 243. Never had ANY tracking job with a 44mag. Lost a good axis buck and a WT doe with my 30-06 because the **** bullet didn’t expand.

This year I’m hunting with a 257 Wby just cuz I want to. I’ll also take my 30-06, because that thing is just my go to regardless of fancy guns or magnums or big bores.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I started with a 243 and hunted with it until I was late twenties. Never lost a animal with it, hopefully this year my son gets his first kill with it. Then when I wanted to upgrade I bought a 30-06 because that's what's I remember my dad using. If I ever get to hunt Nilgai will be the only time I consider something bigger. Hell Keith Warren killed a doe with a 50 cal by just shooting near her head or that's what he said
                      Last edited by ElfEyes; 09-09-2021, 04:36 AM.

Comment

Why does one buy magnum condoms?

Comment

Because non magnum condoms don’t fit

Comment

I got my first and only magnum calibered rifle a couple of years ago because Nilgai became an option where I hunted.

Comment

Originally posted by kwarw View Post
                              And if this is how YOU roll hit them in the neck breaking their spine! If you don't hit something it's like the squirrel I spoke of earlier! It don't matter how fast it went through. if your not a good shot takeout the shoulder ruining 30% of your meat

Like Mosley said a big hole through the lungs they will run.They don't know that they are dead YET! They will run.
                              I’ve killed 100s of deer and probably a 1000 hogs with different calibers and I can tell you a big magnum will take them down faster than a small caliber. Speed kills faster

Comment

Different strokes for different folks. Sure, they probably don't "need" a magnum but how much junk do we all have that isn't really necessary? It is kind of interesting watching the newly minted snipers try to tame the recoil on their new cannons though.

Comment

Working...
                                X