Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

10mm vs 44mag

Say you might be going elk hunting next year in an area that had grizzlies

Which of the above would put the most hurt on a bear at close range?

I know a 10mm will probably hold more rounds than a 44 revolver but for the sake of this discussion, in the given scenario you only get 1 shot

44 mag

Comment

One shot!! 44mag with hard cast all the way

Comment

I would prefer a 454 Casull or maybe a 460 S&W or 500 S&W, but if one of those, is not an option, then I would probably go with a good 44 Mag. with something like some 265 to 280, maybe 300 gr. bullets.

I would take a 10mm, with some 180 gr. or 200 gr. bullets also. Being able to pump 14 to 18 rounds in a bear compared to 6, might not be a bad idea.

The 44 Mag with something like a 265 gr. to 280 gr. bullet, I would think would penetrate deeper than a 10 mm with something like a 180 gr. to 200 gr. bullet. The 44, will definitely have more energy, than the 10 mm. But when you are using a handgun on a big grizzly, I am not sure it would notice much difference, in energy released by a 44 Mag. or a 10 mm. I would bet a bullet or five through vitals would be more important than how much energy the gun has, when the gun is a handgun, and not a hand cannon or a large rifle caliber.

If you hand load, currently, there are some bullets that would be a good choice for a 44 Mag. available.

Comment

2 different class of rounds in my opinion, I have both.

Obviously the 10mm can put a lot of stout fire power down range quickly with much easier follow up shots but the 44 mag wins in ever other way.

A 200gr 10mm is pretty stout but doesn’t touch a 240+gr 44 magnum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Op said you only get one shot.

Comment

The 10mm has pretty much the same power as a .357 mag, the .44 mag has nearly twice the power of either. The only reason 10mm is recommended for big bears is that some people think they will be able to get all 16 rounds off on an attacking bear.

In the scenario you described neither would be my choice. I would want a big bore rifle or 12 gauge slug and if it had to be a pistol a minimum of the .454 Casull with hard cast. If you've never seen a large bear up close, I can tell you that you are going to feel rather insignificant.
              Last edited by WhiplashTX; 09-02-2021, 07:35 AM. Reason: grammar police

Comment

44mag with hard cast

Comment

340 grain Buffalo bore in that 44mag. It doesn’t kick that bad.

Comment

this is just my opinion ... you're not bear hunting ... it's for protection. no one would argue 44. has way more power and recoil .. and much less capacity ... assuming the bear would be coming after you , i'd rather have 15 rounds of 10mm i can shoot fast at a moving target. 10 mm can do the job with proper placement , just keep shooting till neutralized .

Now if you feel comfortable with 1st round hit with a 44 mag or 454C ... more power to you ... i think from the element of surprise and natural fear ... i'd prefer the 10mm ..

after all if you have all the time in the world .. the rifle on your shoulder is a better choice than either

again , just my opinion good luck and be safe!

re-reading ... you said one shot .. 44! or 500 for that matter ... don't miss!

just my 2c.

Comment

A lot of good information comparing ballistics between the two on YouTube. Personally, I carry a Glock 29 10mm in a Gunfighters Inc Kenai chest holster when I am in Grizzly country, which if pretty often. I just hope I never have to use it.

Comment

Originally posted by Button View Post
                        340 grain Buffalo bore in that 44mag. It doesn’t kick that bad.
                        This. Also, you’re going to want to file the front sight off so that when the bear takes that gun and shoves it up your kiester it won’t hurt as bad.

Comment

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
                          This. Also, you’re going to want to file the front sight off so that when the bear takes that gun and shoves it up your kiester it won’t hurt as bad.
                          That's as old as a henway

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                            That's as old as a henway
                            True but if we don’t educate today’s youth how will they ever learn?

Comment

44 for one shot
                              But I would rather have the 10,

I carry my 40 with underwood 155s.
                              Killed lots of pigs , longest was 75 steps.
                              I know it goes deep, will crack a skull, and in a Springfield 5" combat special lots of rounds go were I want them in short order

Comment

Working...
                              X