Shotgun advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shotgun advice

So the budget shotgun thread got me kicking around the idea of buying myself an over/under. I typically don’t do much bird hunting each year and couldn’t justify dropping a ton on a shotgun. I’d likely be looking in the $500-$800 range. What options are out there for that kind of money? Ive seen Yildiz, CZ and Stevens in that range. Anything in particular that I should look out for? I’d likely be grabbing a 20 gauge if that makes any difference in choice.

I’ve already got a Rem 1100 LT20 that I hunt with, but I enjoy shooting my dad’s Win 101 when I get the chance.

Thanks in advance!

All of the 3 you listed are made in Turkey, as are most in that price range. Of the 3, yildiz would be my choice. It's the cheapest option, usually have nice wood, and are as well built as anything in that class. The Stevens had some issues with double firing. I'd avoid Stoeger. Too many issues with them, though I'm sure there are some good ones. If you can, handle all of them and see which once feels best.

Comment

Originally posted by Rswan13 View Post
      So the budget shotgun thread got me kicking around the idea of buying myself an over/under. I typically don’t do much bird hunting each year and couldn’t justify dropping a ton on a shotgun. I’d likely be looking in the $500-$800 range. What options are out there for that kind of money? Ive seen Yildiz, CZ and Stevens in that range. Anything in particular that I should look out for? I’d likely be grabbing a 20 gauge if that makes any difference in choice.

I’ve already got a Rem 1100 LT20 that I hunt with, but I enjoy shooting my dad’s Win 101 when I get the chance.

Thanks in advance!
      CZ makes a nice cerakoted O/U.

Comment

Shotgun advice

I picked up the stevens 555E in .410 to dove hunt with last year and have really been enjoying it. Shoots really good for the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a couple Yildiz that I have never a single issue with. There no telling how many rounds have been fired through them.

Comment

If you can find one to handle, take a look at a Tristar Trinity. Worlds above the Yildiz in fit and finish but in the same price class

Comment

Comment

If you can go somewhere and handle them. Shotguning is a lot about how one fits and feels.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I’m planning to hit up academy this weekend to check out the various Yildiz options they have. Gotta check to see if Cabelas or anywhere else has some of the other models and put my hands on those too.

Comment

Originally posted by Craw3773 View Post
                    That’s CZ would be pretty tempting if it was a 20. I just don’t think I have a need for a 12 gauge. Thanks for the heads up though.

Comment

When you go to Academy & look at the Yildiz make them pull out everyone they have in a 20ga.... you will find some with w/ exceptional wood & some just plain jane. I have the whole set 410,28,20,& 12 & never one issue with anyone of them.....best bang for your buck. Are they as nice as my Citori's or Silver Pigeons.....No but they didn't cost me & arm & a leg either & if they get a lil ding or scratch I don't loose my mind

Comment

Good idea there. I’ll have to do that once I make a decision.

What’s the consensus on a steel receiver vs aluminum? Seems like the heavier steel might mitigate a little recoil during a day of clay shooting. Or is there going to be much difference at all?

Comment

Originally posted by Rswan13 View Post
                          Good idea there. I’ll have to do that once I make a decision.

What’s the consensus on a steel receiver vs aluminum? Seems like the heavier steel might mitigate a little recoil during a day of clay shooting. Or is there going to be much difference at all?
                          If you're going with a 20 no problem with shooting the Yildiz all day..... the 12 is a different story, but install a limbsaver pad & you're good to go. I like the lighter weight of the Aluminum, swing & follow through is effortless

Comment

I like the steel receiver because I prefer a gun to have some weight to it. Some like lighter guns. Compare both and see which one balances better for you.

Comment

I have a CZ upland ultra lite in 12 and a CZ wingshooter in 20 I don’t know if the wingshooter is still around a grand but it is a sweet shooting gun and has ejectors vs extractors it that matters to you

Comment

Working...
                              X