Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does everyone need a magnum caliber?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bucknaked View Post
    If you hit them in the neck with that WBY it’s game over ! But I’m not a vitals shooter when it comes to boolits! I guess the neck is a vital since they Fall right there!
    If it is a slickhead I aim for heart/lungs. Less meat damage. Nice buck gets a shoulder shot. They aren't going far.

Comment

Originally posted by Fargus View Post
      That is an interesting statement, considering the early model ballistic silver tips and accubombs both got a bad rap for coming apart. Now we are saying that is a desirable characteristic?
      I am not a magnum guy, but on thin skinned deer I like a bullet in the lungs that explodes.

I have a good friend that swears by a 22-250 in the lungs. He has killed hundreds of deer in his lifetime and believes it is the best killing round.

I do not agree but it is terribly hard to argue with his experience. As for me, I like a 150 grain Core Lokt out of a .308.

Comment

Bringing this back up,because Laughed like **** at the comment,"non magnum condom's don't fit"!

Comment

300wm shooter..
          Winchester released the 300wm in 1963.. yr of my birth.
          .308 has the most options of any caliber, can reload from 110 to 220. I like exploding prairie dogs with the 110s and i like 200g nosler partitions for deer.. i have a custom built interarms mark x action, its glass bedded in a piece of kansas walnut with sycamore and rose wood accents..

Comment

I didn’t think I needed a magnum caliber.. but I got a stainless model 70 in 300 mag to take to Colorado hunting... I had a problem with my regular 308 caliber rifle once .. so took it to deer camp... I shot a 10 point buck at 350 yrds the next morning... It has Zeiss glass and has never let me down... It has dropped numerous bucks.. hogs.. and coyotes.. since way back then...

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
              I do. But what you have to understand is that it's not the arrow but the Indian behind it.

Put nearly any bullet from any caliber in the right place and it will work. If you can't blame it on the caliber. Buy a magnum. Gut shoot another one. Blame the bullet. It blew up on the hide. Buy a premium bullet. Again blame the bullet. It penciled right thru. Make all the excuses you want but blame it on the poor shooting skills of the guy looking back at you in the mirror.
              WELL SAID!!!!

I personally favor anything based on 308 win case...Had my share of Mags, this and that over the years...(They kill at both Ends) Its where ya Hit em that COUNTS

Comment

I have a 7mag that never comes out of safe since I found a 35 Whelen. My reloads get 200 grain bullet to 2800. I also have a 358 Winchester that pushes the same 200 grain around 2500. No pressure signs, magnum kick or magnum muzzle blast… factory Federal 35 Whelen is moving above 2875 out of my rifle. Nothing wrong with magnum rounds just have to tailor to what you’re hunting. I’ve an itch to build a 358 Norma or 358 Sambar…

Comment

Originally posted by WTJim View Post
                  I have a 7mag that never comes out of safe since I found a 35 Whelen. My reloads get 200 grain bullet to 2800. I also have a 358 Winchester that pushes the same 200 grain around 2500. No pressure signs, magnum kick or magnum muzzle blast… factory Federal 35 Whelen is moving above 2875 out of my rifle. Nothing wrong with magnum rounds just have to tailor to what you’re hunting. I’ve an itch to build a 358 Norma or 358 Sambar…
                  Bother from another mother?
                  I love calibers you listed 35 whelen, 358 Norma !
                  My guns going in to active duty are all none magnum
                  .223 , 6.5-284 Norma, ,308, 30-30 , 35 whelen

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
                    Seems like everyone one I know or hunt with thinks they need a magnum to kill a white tail, when did this become such a thing?

Most of the people I know get a large magnum then put the lightest projectiles offered in it. My opinion is to shoot a heavy projectiles out of any cartridge you use as long as you can get the desired velocity.

I’m a short action guy and I normally use the least amount of gun that I need to ethically kill with. Most kills are with .260/.308/6.5grendel/223.

Just a conversation starter...
                    Most of the magnum fanatics I know are South Texas/Mexico hunters. My take on magnums with those guys is the higher DRT factor.
                    They would rather not have to track deer in that brush and try to avoid it as much as possible. Using magnum calibers certainly helps.
                    I like the DRT factor of the magnums myself but, don’t find them a pleasure to shoot in a hunting weight rifle.
                    I own a couple of good magnums but, I only use them in the mountains. Im sure I could have killed the same deer and elk with my 7mm-08 but, I just have more confidence in my 300 wsm when it comes to a little more range and much bigger game animal.

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
                      Speed kills. To hell with heavy bullets. A fast semi frangible bullet is where it is at on medium sized game.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

X3 on this
                      I’m a speed freak….the faster the gooder
                      Huge aficionado of the quarter bore’s

.257 wby mag and a 100gr Barnes ttsx at 3700 fps, what is there to not love

Comment

I have a 300WM and a 3.5” shotgun and a 44 mag. that I bought when I was a little younger and started to have a little disposable income. They’re both fun, and I was at a different point in life. Now I’m more concerned calibers that I can find ammo/components for and that are manageable for my boys to enjoy.
                        Having started out with a .22 and a 20 guage 2-3/4” gun, I’m guessing I just wanted a little more and then more.
                        The 300WM was my idea of a single rifle that I could hunt any big game in North America and an elderly friend that was selling a great gun with a lot of sentimental value.
                        Lose a few nice animals, or see something desirable out of range, get a few bucks in your pocket, and next thing you know your shoulder hurts, teeth are loose and you hide the pain from your buddies. Your now shaken brain lets you tell everyone how awesome your cannon is.
                        Like fishing- bigger bait or boat = bigger fish

Comment

Well, magnums do tend to impress the girls.

Comment

Similar to why all these concrete pavers drive big jacked up trucks on payments!!!

Comment

To each their own. I’ll kill ‘em with whatever I feel like taking. There’s days I take my 6mm and there’s days I’ll take my 300 win. But at the end of the day dead is dead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by kwarw View Post
                                There is the perfect example of the laser beam I refer to. The .264 win is flat as a pancake to around 250 yards.Packs a whallop (not sure that's a word,rather a result) It works!! I grew up killing groundhogs in KY prepping for Viet Nam.we didn't shoot one under 300 yards for sport. Nam ended before I got old enough to go. Thank the lord/ I learned speed kills

Now come on with the 45-70 group LOL you guys have a say here TOO LOL I love this place.

Ok, I like big slow(relatively) bullets.

Comment

Working...
                                X