Oklahoma Elk Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by swain_130 View Post
    I got drawn despite it being only my 2nd year applying. Sometimes you get lucky.
    Ha I got 15 pts both Elk and Pronghorn. I shouldn't complain I normally draw a chunk of the LO pronghorn tags, and killed a ton of them.

Congrats from my experience out there(not hunting) you are looking at 225 -270 out there. Good luck. Get a good pack and meat bags
    Last edited by Texans42; 06-11-2021, 10:02 AM.

Comment

I actually had a buddy that drew the same tag a few years ago and was successful. I'll see if I can find any pics.

Comment

I have a pack and am willing to quarter and pack out for some elk meat. I worked in Lawton for awhile there are way bigger bulls in Oklahoma than people realize.

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
          Abe with the Stormwater Creek podcast got a cow in the Wichita Mountains draw last year. You might reach out to him on Instagram. @stormwatercreek

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was going to make this same suggestion.

FWIW, I drew the same hunt Abe drew last year. I’ll be up there 11/30-12/2.

Comment

Here is my buddies elk from the same land!!
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
              Here is my buddies elk from the same land!!
              Nice, beautiful elk and a cool pic of the rocks and hills there.

Comment

I was up there today hiking and covered a lot of ground . I saw about a half dozen elk including a really nice bull standing pretty close to the road on the drive in. I didn't get started real early and the weather was a little nasty in the morning so there wasn't a lot of elk activity.

I also saw an absolute monster of a whitetail buck. Easily the biggest whitetail I've ever seen in the wild. There was a group of 5 bachelor bucks all of which appeared to be mature. There were a couple of nice 10 pointers wider than their ears but the tines weren't real long yet. A couple of 8s with similar frames. Then this other buck was just a freak and dwarfed the other bucks which were nice in their own right. Heavy, tall and wide 10 point frame with a bunch of nontypical points. Still only the first of July so another month or so to grow too.

Just doing some googling and I saw where a soldier at Fort Sill killed a 245" non typical on the Western edge of the Fort in 2017 which would have been very close to where I saw this guy. His deer was bigger but very similar characteristics and frame.

Comment

I can't sit here and rank underrated states, but Oklahoma is underrated when it comes to overall hunting opportunities and exceptional game.

Comment

Well

Comment

Awesome draw! Just curious…. Will Oklahoma open up for another round of controlled hunts this year?

Comment

Congrats on the draw! Have fun!

Comment

Originally posted by BOBCAT4119 View Post
                          Awesome draw! Just curious…. Will Oklahoma open up for another round of controlled hunts this year?

I’m no expert in Oklahoma as this was my first year applying, but I think they’re done with controlled hunt draws for the coming season.

Comment

Originally posted by Army of Dad View Post
                            I’m no expert in Oklahoma as this was my first year applying, but I think they’re done with controlled hunt draws for the coming season.

This, they do all the drawings at one time up here in Oklahoma.

Comment

Looks like non-residents can apply but must possess an Oklahoma hunting license prior to submitting the application. If I'm reading it correctly, I would have to purchase the $306 (or whatever the price is for next year) non-resident elk license prior to applying. Do I have this correct?

Comment

Originally posted by Mule Skinner View Post
                                Looks like non-residents can apply but must possess an Oklahoma hunting license prior to submitting the application. If I'm reading it correctly, I would have to purchase the $306 (or whatever the price is for next year) non-resident elk license prior to applying. Do I have this correct?
                                You're close you will need to purchase a license but not the non resident deer unless you plan to hunt deer in Oklahoma that year. You can buy the 5 day non resident hunting license for $75 bucks before you apply for the cheapest route to apply.

Comment

Working...
                                X