First Custom Rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Custom Rifle

Well i finally pulled the "trigger" on my first custom rig. Here's the BOM. Should start receiving parts next week. For those that have similar builds, what type of MOA are you experiencing? I plan to start with a 70 gr H4831, 200ELD-X load that my other 300wm likes and work from there.

Everything LA 300wm prefit to work together.
    Stock - Manners EH1A Elite Hunter w/ m5 mini-chassis "Scorched Earth"
    Barrel - Proof 26" Carbon Sendero
    Action - Defiance anTi X
    Brake - APA Gen 3 Little *******
    DBM - Hawkins Hunter M5
    Mag- Hawkins Hunter
    Trigger - Trigger Tech Rem. 700 Special
    Rings - Vortex Precision med.
    Glass - Vortex Razor HD LHT 4.5X20X50.

Will post pictures after everything is assembled.

sounds like a solid build. can't wait to start seeing some pics of it coming together!!

Comment

Sounds like great rifle in the works!

Comment

Nice.

Comment

very nice 1st custom rifle build. If it were my rifle, the only things I would change are the chassis system to a pillar and glass bed, and I'd go with a set of ARC M10 rings. The good thing about a custom rifle, you can build it according to your taste or dream rifle. Be sure to let us know how it shoots. If you do your part, that rifle should shoot 1/4" ~ 1/2" 3-shot groups @ 100 yds. all day long

Comment

First Custom Rifle

Are you planning to use a SAAMI reamer or a custom one?

You can really wake up the performance of the 300WM with a properly throated chamber and a 9 twist barrel (or faster if you would like to shoot mono bullets).

Don’t be scared to try Reloader 26 powder too (if you can find any).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
            Last edited by Mike D; 08-12-2022, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
              Are you planning to use a SAAMI reamer or a custom one?

You can really wake up the performance of the 300WM with a properly throated chamber and a 9 twist barrel (or faster if you would like to shoot mono bullets).

Don’t be scared to try Reloader 26 powder too (if you can find any).

The barrel is already chambered. I hadn't planned on reaming anything. Just screwing it into the action and checking headspace. Any i missing something?

Proof only offers a 1-10 twist and advices against the use of mono's, so i'm stuck with that. I was shooting 2890 FPS (magnetospeed) average on a 22" stock gun last weekend with 72grains of H4831 and it seemed to like it. I was going to test up to 73.5 (73max advertised) with my new gun and expect with the longer barrel to be around 2970ish.

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
                very nice 1st custom rifle build. If it were my rifle, the only things I would change are the chassis system to a pillar and glass bed, and I'd go with a set of ARC M10 rings. The good thing about a custom rifle, you can build it according to your taste or dream rifle. Be sure to let us know how it shoots. If you do your part, that rifle should shoot 1/4" ~ 1/2" 3-shot groups @ 100 yds. all day long
                Thank you sir. If i had the time and patience i would of pillar/bedded. I could of saved a few ounces but lost versatility with the mini-chassis. Also probably lost a little accuracy. I'll probably go that route when i do a S/A. I thought about the M10 rings, but got a good deal on the vortex kit through opticsplanet.

Comment

Try H1K and Retumbo.

That rifle should shoot well under 1/2 moa to distance. Nice build

Comment

Pics or it is not real

Comment

Thanks guys. I wish I could find h1000 to try out, but I'm stocked up on h4831. Should have it next week, glass is delayed for a week so I'll have to switch some stuff around to start load development.

Comment

First Custom Rifle

Originally posted by Jamerendino View Post
                        The barrel is already chambered. I hadn't planned on reaming anything. Just screwing it into the action and checking headspace. Any i missing something?

Proof only offers a 1-10 twist and advices against the use of mono's, so i'm stuck with that. I was shooting 2890 FPS (magnetospeed) average on a 22" stock gun last weekend with 72grains of H4831 and it seemed to like it. I was going to test up to 73.5 (73max advertised) with my new gun and expect with the longer barrel to be around 2970ish.

If you are doing a prefit then yeah you are stuck with a SAAMI chamber. Nothing wrong with it per se’ but it can benefit from longer freebore and seating depth to get the base of the bullet out of the powder column and past the donut that can form at the neck junction.

Proof makes 9 twist .308 barrels. And where did they say they recommend against monos? Tons of folks shoot Hammers and Barnes in Proof barrels with a 9 twist in their 300 Norma Mags.

I’m having an 8 twist barrel built for my Norma so I can shoot the heavy monos if I want to.

Last edited by Mike D; 08-12-2022, 05:21 PM.

Comment

And your addiction to custom rifles begins!

Comment

Love the scorched earth color scheme. Are you putting it together yourself or taking it to a smith?

Comment

Anthony this picture illustrates what I’m talking about with a custom reamer.

On the left is a SAAMI length 300WM with a Berger 210.

On the right is one how I would have a reamer set up if I built a 300 WM. Same cartridge, same bullet just seated much further out of the case.

Comment

Working...
                              X