What's wrong with eatin roadkill?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's wrong with eatin roadkill?

Found a free range chicken hit on the road today so I picked it up. Had it for supper. My buddies thought it was the weirdest thing ever. My mom stopped by when I was out cleanin it and she turned her nose up at it. What's the big deal? It didn't stink, probably hadn't been dead for two hours when I came along. Fried chicken is fried chicken. I ate it and my dog had a great time playing in the feathers. I don't understand why people think that's so weird. Never heard of fried chicken before? Where the hell do people think it comes from?LOL

If it don't stink, eat it.

I was thinking axis or whitetail I’m gonna pass on the chicken unless I’m starvin or I see it go down lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Biggest thing for me is not knowing how long it’s been sitting there. Also, generally it’s well pulverized. I don’t have a problem with it though.

Comment

It was still pretty floppy and not all rigor mortised up. It didn't smell rotten or nothin either. If it's cold outside you have even more time until it ain't no good. It's still warm outside so I just did the smell test. It passed the test so it got fried up. It was good!

Comment

You're making that chicken good but you can make it even better. Lick it, before you... oh wrong song

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ve never seen anything dead on the road and say to myself hmmm I wonder if could eat that ?

It’s a little weird but get after it. Safe hunting

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
              You're making that chicken good but you can make it even better. Lick it, before you... oh wrong song

That don't sound like fried chicken.LOL

Comment

Originally posted by laredoarcher View Post
                I’ve never seen anything dead on the road and say to myself hmmm I wonder if could eat that ?

It’s a little weird but get after it. Safe hunting
                I saw it and said to myself "I didn't hit it. But I'm gonna get it!"

Comment

Everytime I drive by road kill with buzzards on it I say man I can't believe they're eatin' that! Then I realize those buzzards are saying, man I can't believe he drove right by and didn't stop to eat!
                  Everybody has their own perspective I guess?

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

When I was stationed in Virginia, the hose we rented had 13 acres and I had hunting rights to the property. My boys and I were setting up the ladder stand for opening weekend of bow season and just as we finished up I heard a car at the front of the property screech down the wet road and a loud bang. We drove down the driveway to check on them. The car was gone, there was a headlight in the road, and the 6pt I was after was laying in the ditch. I made me a lasso, roped his antlers and drug him to the house. Cleaned him up and threw him in the freezer. That's the ONLY roadkill I've ever eaten.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                      That don't sound like fried chicken.LOL
                      If it dont stink, eat it

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                        Found a free range chicken hit on the road today so I picked it up. Had it for supper. My buddies thought it was the weirdest thing ever. My mom stopped by when I was out cleanin it and she turned her nose up at it. What's the big deal? It didn't stink, probably hadn't been dead for two hours when I came along. Fried chicken is fried chicken. I ate it and my dog had a great time playing in the feathers. I don't understand why people think that's so weird. Never heard of fried chicken before? Where the hell do people think it comes from?LOL

If it don't stink, eat it.
                        it didn't come off of styrofoam.

Comment

Dang.. I must really live a life of privilege because I would never eat a road kill chicken

Comment

Originally posted by kkp005 View Post
                            Dang.. I must really live a life of privilege because I would never eat a road kill chicken
                            If I became a millionaire tomorrow I'd do the same thing. I can't see myself ever not picking up a dead chicken. But I like fried chicken so that's not hard to believe. I hope another one gets hit.

Comment

I watched a television show probably 15 or 20 years ago about this. It was maybe 60 Minutes or 20/20 or some other type of news show. I think the idea was trying to save meat or money but it’s been too long ago.

That particular episode was a man, I believe in England, who ate no meat except roadkill. Of course they followed him around and showed what he did. Anytime he saw a roadkill, he would pick up and like what was that above, if it didn’t smell and didn’t have rigor mortis, he ate it.

Now, he did not cook it rare. It was made into stews and soups, etc. It was always well cooked. Of course like gumbo or chili, it normally cooke for two or three hours anyway so basically anything bad in it would be like they killed.

I am fairly certain that most survival information says that if you boil water at sea level for one minute, it kills all pathogens. At higher elevations it might take up to three minutes.

Meat will take a lot longer to get the center of the meat to the needed temperature for long enough. But if you’re cooking a soup or stew for a couple of hours, I am fairly certain that everything in the pot will be sufficiently hot to kill anything.

So there is probably nothing wrong with eating roadkill. It’s just hard to overcome the thought of it.

Comment

Working...
                              X