An actual archery question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An actual archery question

So I broke in the new bow, switched to tiny diameter arrows so had to redo the paper tune and broadhead tune, they're grouping well now at 40 yards which os as far as I can go at home. I'm not sure if it's in my head or what but I swear every 5 shots or so I can see my arrow kick a little, nothing like before tuning, but the rest always appear to fly like bullets. Aside from marking the arrows to rule out a bad one, what else might be going on? I'd assume torquing the grip would do it but I've been careful not to. I do sometimes feel off at the release, almost as if I'm pulling harder back on the string just at the moment before releasing.

No archery questions Mister!

No real answer for ya. I always have that one flyer outta my 6 shots I take at a time.

Comment

As you stated make sure to rule out an arrow as the culprit. Sometimes it can be a loose fletching, loose insert, etc. After that get the hex wrenches out and make sure nothing is loose on the bow. Rest, sight, cable rollers, limb stops, stabilizer, etc. But in all likelihood it is form. You are probably concentrating on your grip and relaxing too much. A little creep can make that happen, make sure you pull hard into the back wall. I had the same issue once and it was corrected by concentrating on pulling through the shot.

Comment

Curious what bow do you shoot?

Comment

Make sure you’re consistent in every aspect of your form. Grip of course but make sure you’re not getting a lot of facial contact. Also possible you’re looking up at arrow in flight and the eyes are deceived by something. Have someone else watch arrow flight for a couple rounds. Mark arrows. Weigh arrows. Check vanes. Check nocks. Is insert wonky. Etc…

Comment

If you don’t see an obvious arrow flaw like those mentioned above, shoot 3 arrows then wait 5 to 10 minutes and shoot 2 or 3 more. If that fixes the issue, it’s all form related and probably a fatigue issue.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
              So I broke in the new bow, switched to tiny diameter arrows so had to redo the paper tune and broadhead tune, they're grouping well now at 40 yards which os as far as I can go at home. I'm not sure if it's in my head or what but I swear every 5 shots or so I can see my arrow kick a little, nothing like before tuning, but the rest always appear to fly like bullets. Aside from marking the arrows to rule out a bad one, what else might be going on? I'd assume torquing the grip would do it but I've been careful not to. I do sometimes feel off at the release, almost as if I'm pulling harder back on the string just at the moment before releasing.

A fletching on that arrow maybe be catching a cable and might just need to be turned a bit more

Comment

If it is every 5 shots or so... It may be fatigue. If it is the last arrow of the group, you may be tired or complacent.

May want to shoot groups of 3 or 4, get arrows and by that time your muscles are better.

Comment

I’m not an expert but you might want to number your arrows. Mark each one using a sharpie with a number and see if the one that flies funny is the same one each time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by gigem95 View Post
                    I’m not an expert but you might want to number your arrows. Mark each one using a sharpie with a number and see if the one that flies funny is the same one each time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    I would do this first.

Comment

Thanks yall. To be clear whatever arrow it is still groups with the rest of them. It's never the same, sometimes it's the 1st one sometimes it's 2nd 3rd or 4th, so far it's never been the 5th lol. I'll try everything mentioned next time I shoot.
                      Edit: Broadheads and FPs all group together tennis ball sized group at 40.
                      Last edited by justletmein; 08-05-2021, 09:47 PM.

Comment

I would at least get an arrow spinner and spin all arrows to make sure they are true. I would look at each arrow when you nock them and make sure all are turned exactly the same. Label the arrows and if the one flying weird is always the same. Also, as mentioned above, see if the weird flight is always towards the end of a shooting session. May be fatigue. Can always shoot a fixed blade broadhead vs a field point and see how they group. Finally, set up a camera behind you or have someone video a shot from behind. Sometimes you can see erratic flight easily on video.

Comment

If it’s truly a random event then likely a form issue. If you shoot a different color cock vane then it can really play tricks on your eye as that arrow is flying away.

Comment

Originally posted by ag111 View Post
                            Curious what bow do you shoot?
                            This is a Bowtech Revolt. I can't believe how easy it was to tune with the deadlock cam system. Wife bought me a Mathews V3 27 for Christmas, little too short for my DL (I'm 6') so took it to the shop to shop for a V3 31. I ended up shooting a whole bunch of bows while I was there and walking out without a bow and an order for the Revolt. It didn't come in for months so I'm finally just now getting it ready for season.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                              Edit: Broadheads and FPs all group together tennis ball sized group at 40.
                              If this is what you routinely get, you've got nothing to worry about tuning wise, and are GTG for most any hunting situation. Forget about it and keep on keeping on

Comment

Working...
                              X