Questions for LEO's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions for LEO's

Seeing the thread about no car insurance made me think.

What happens to the people who get in a wreck and have no DL, inspection/registration or insurance? Do they just get tickets? If so, what happens when they don't pay the tickets and eventually get stopped again with no DL or insurance, just another ticket or two? Then repeat?

There is penalty for repeat offense of driving wo a license. You prob are almost always gonna get towed if you have no insurance. The surcharges on your license are going to get expensive. If you don’t pay for tickets your gonna get warrants. Your gonna get booked and it’s gonna get expensive.

Comment

Answer- It depends on where it happens. Most cite and release. License will usually get suspended or will have suspension under name at some point. It is a shame but you asked

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
        Answer- It depends on where it happens. Most cite and release. License will usually get suspended or will have suspension under name at some point. It is a shame but you asked
        yep.

when I was still on the streets, it literally depended on what agency it was. A constable precinct was able to tow on the same road I could not. It was actually rumored that we got stopped because a certain ethnic group complained they got picked on by their cars getting towed all the time....

Last I remember driving while suspended (dwi, no ins etc) was a ticket 1st. If you let that turn to a warrant next time it was arrestable for there out. Or until you paid the state and got your DL back.

I can also tell you Id try my ****dest to find a reason to put a car on a wrecker if it wasnt insured. No matter who was driving it

Comment

Originally posted by spread5150 View Post
          There is penalty for repeat offense of driving wo a license. You prob are almost always gonna get towed if you have no insurance. The surcharges on your license are going to get expensive. If you don’t pay for tickets your gonna get warrants. Your gonna get booked and it’s gonna get expensive.
          Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
          yep.

when I was still on the streets, it literally depended on what agency it was. A constable precinct was able to tow on the same road I could not. It was actually rumored that we got stopped because a certain ethnic group complained they got picked on by their cars getting towed all the time....

Last I remember driving while suspended (dwi, no ins etc) was a ticket 1st. If you let that turn to a warrant next time it was arrestable for there out. Or until you paid the state and got your DL back.

I can also tell you Id try my ****dest to find a reason to put a car on a wrecker if it wasnt insured. No matter who was driving it
          And if you have no money? Is this the issue we're having, people just simply ignore tickets...get caught enough then spend a day or two in jail to be released again.. Then drive again with no DL or insurance until caught again?

What if someone has money, can they say screw it and do the same thing or will the system just hold them until they pay?

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
            And if you have no money? Is this the issue we're having, people just simply ignore tickets...get caught enough then spend a day or two in jail to be released again.. Then drive again with no DL or insurance until caught again?

What if someone has money, can they say screw it and do the same thing or will the system just hold them until they pay?
            In a perfect world....lol

We cant hold people for capital murder!!

Andrew Williams has been charged with capital murder in connection with the death of 71-year-old Martha Medina, who was killed while picking up breakfast last month.

And the judge mentioned in the second case let ANOTHER guy out on bond who shot and killed an HPD officer

No money, no problem. All you have to do is claim indigent. Even if you get arrested with near 10k in your pocket. Yea, thats happened also.

Comment

In Harris County most will simply accrue more tickets until they turn into warrants and they MIGHT go to jail at some point. Most cops I know have completely stopped doing any type of traffic enforcement, so very few tickets are being written anyway. Your beat mates will get ****** in a hurry if you're out running traffic and there's 20 or 30 calls holding.

If they go to jail the judge will give them time served and they'll be out in a day. My agency doesn't tow for most class c violations unless you're going to jail. Even then we give them the opportunity to leave it in a parking lot or have a family member drive it home.

In a way the tide has turned at my agency. I don't think they really want us heavily enforcing traffic law at this point. It ****** off the public for the most part and departments are trying to do whatever they can do gain trust in the community. Policing is all screwed up right now. Most are counting the days till they can punch out and retire, hopefully you don't get fired or indicted before then.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
              Last edited by andre3k; 10-20-2021, 09:50 PM.

Comment

I was rear ended by an "un documented worker" totalled my truck. 2 months ago. My insurance covered me.

Comment

Under Texas law, if you have a judgment entered against you as a result of a vehicular accident and you did not have any insurance, your license can be suspended until you provide proof that you have paid or are paying the civil judgment

Comment

In the mean time, people are left holding the bag for repairs, deductibles, and injuries. I say shoot them and let them lay on the side of the road if they don't have a license or insurance.

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Puggy625 View Post
                      In the mean time, people are left holding the bag for repairs, deductibles, and injuries. I say shoot them and let them lay on the side of the road if they don't have a license or insurance.

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk
                      Hmmm…..

Comment

Years ago, I was working in Texas City and staying in Galveston. Got off work and was headed back to my motel room. Sitting at a red light, a local slammed into me. Tore his front end up pretty good. Dented my tailgate and bumper some. He had no insurance. Officer pretty much let him go. My insurance took care of my truck. Couple months later, my insurance company sent me a letter telling me that they decided not to go after the other driver.
                        This is also part of the problem. This guy wasn’t out a dime, other than his messed up car.
                        I believe when there are no consequences, the trend will just continue.

Comment

Driving While License Invalid and Failure to Maintain Financial Responsibility together make a Class B Misdemeanor. So if your driver's license has been suspended, canceled or revoked AND you're operating a vehicle without insurance its a class B. Also, DWLI by itself is a class C, BUT if they have previously been convicted of DWLI it becomes a Class B. I could be wrong but I feel like at least most of my coworkers would arrest for the Class B offense. I can't speak for other agencies.

Short answer, they'll get a citation and leave.

Long answer, they'll get a citation and leave but they'll most likely screw themselves and end up getting a higher level offense at some point down the road that will be more than just a citation.

You wouldn't believe the amount of people that don't have a driver's license or insurance. In the area I work, I'd say at least half of the vehicles either don't have insurance or are driven by someone without a license.

Comment

Working...
                          X