Fresh oyster source?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fresh oyster source?

I’ve been craving some GOOD fresh oysters for a while now, I was hoping to get some this weekend with no such luck. So I picked up some today from HEB the pre shucked “fresh” raw oysters but they had a very bland brine taste... not what I wanted!

Has anyone ordered fresh oysters off line or know of a good source? I know I could go to a specialty restaurant but maybe I’ll just order some and not pay super outrageous prices for them.

Thanks for any help, also if you prefer a particular oyster let me know I’ve just recently developed a liking for them.

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
    I’ve been craving some GOOD fresh oysters for a while now, I was hoping to get some this weekend with no such luck. So I picked up some today from HEB the pre shucked “fresh” raw oysters but they had a very bland brine taste... not what I wanted!

Has anyone ordered fresh oysters off line or know of a good source? I know I could go to a specialty restaurant but maybe I’ll just order some and not pay super outrageous prices for them.

Thanks for any help, also if you prefer a particular oyster let me know I’ve just recently developed a liking for them.

Where do you live ?

Comment

Your best option for fresh oysters will be on the coast when oyster season reopens in November.

Comment

There’s currently an oyster shortage in Louisiana as the season was temporarily shut down due to Hurricane Ida damaging the oyster leases. Not sure it it has re-opened and if there’s a harvest quota. Last month many restaurants were not able to serve/sell charbroiled oysters.

FYI - don’t go shopping for fresh lump crab meat. Current prices are $40 a pound

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
          Where do you live ?
          San Antonio area

Comment

I love oysters, but I mostly eat them in the winter time, when they are fat, plump and full of flavor. I've had oysters from the east and west coast. To me, those oyster varieties are more briny, whereas gulf oysters are sweeter, which I prefer. There are a few companies that will ship you oysters. I know murderpoint oyster company ships. They aren't cheap but quality seafood usually isn't.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
              There’s currently an oyster shortage in Louisiana as the season was temporarily shut down due to Hurricane Ida damaging the oyster leases. Not sure it it has re-opened and if there’s a harvest quota. Last month many restaurants were not able to serve/sell charbroiled oysters.

FYI - don’t go shopping for fresh lump crab meat. Current prices are $40 a pound
              Oh man maybe that’s what is causing the shortage! Man I love me some raw oysters and fresh lump crab! Freshly fried reddish had to cut it tonight.

Comment

If you want more brine you need to look to east coast oysters and not gulf coast oysters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Jason85 View Post
                  I love oysters, but I mostly eat them in the winter time, when they are fat, plump and full of flavor. I've had oysters from the east and west coast. To me, those oyster varieties are more briny, whereas gulf oysters are sweeter, which I prefer. There are a few companies that will ship you oysters. I know murderpoint oyster company ships. They aren't cheap but quality seafood usually isn't.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
                  Definitely the fresh gulf oysters are much sweeter and less briny. The best ones I ever had were at the rockport oysters fest man they were so good!

Comment

Originally posted by OldRiverRat View Post
                    If you want more brine you need to look to east coast oysters and not gulf coast oysters

I much prefer the sweet tasting gulf oysters

Comment

I much prefer the sweet tasting gulf oysters

Ahh sorry misread your post
                      Thought you said you preferred more brine
                      Season is coming up and they will get much better
                      Not sure if heb distributes Jerry’s seafood oysters but they are tough to beat. We buy them off the boat buy the sack

Comment

Originally posted by OldRiverRat View Post
                        Ahh sorry misread your post
                        Thought you said you preferred more brine
                        Season is coming up and they will get much better
                        Not sure if heb distributes Jerry’s seafood oysters but they are tough to beat. We buy them off the boat buy the sack

They were Jerry’s but the preshucked ones. Lacking lots of what you would expect in a gulf oyster. At least in my experience.

I’ll have to try them again.

Comment

Few and far between the right now.

Comment

San Antonio area
                            Groomers by the Airport

Comment

There’s bound to be someone on the side of the road selling them outta their car. They’ve got signs that say “fresh”.

Comment

Working...
                              X