Colorado Summer Vacation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Colorado Summer Vacation

Today was our first full day of vacation in CO, we're staying in Fraser just north of Winterpark. I was able to get out to explore for a bit while the kids were taking a nap today and found a few spots I hope to photograph over the next couple days. Tonight I went to a waterfall off the hwy south of Winterpark. I wish I'd have had more time to explore the area but the light was fading fast.

Afternoon exploration
    Highway Waterfall.jpg by Chris Jeans, on Flickr

Evening:
    Rocky Mountain Waterfall by Chris Jeans, on Flickr

Winterpark Waterfall by Chris Jeans, on Flickr

While I was packing up I had to grab a few photos of the light rails as they cars moved up and down the mountain.
    Mountain Pass Light Trails.jpg by Chris Jeans, on Flickr

I found a spot that is sketchy AF to get down to but am going to give it a try tomorrow afternoon, I've got high hopes for that location. We plan to spend at least one day in RMNP within the next few days and I'm hoping to photograph both moose and elk in velvet.

For those of you in Texas, it was a very comfortable 77 degrees today and is currently 45 degrees.

Bad A** photos man!

Comment

Awesome Pics!

May need to change our vacation plans! Colorado weather sounds much nicer.

Comment

Colorado is the way to go!

Comment

The more I come to Colorado the harder it gets to leave each time. We spent 1.5 days in RMNP, finally got to drive the Old Fall River rd. up the Alpine Visitor Center, if you haven't ever done this you need to. The road is only open from July to October'ish. We saw a massive moose in velvet but I was unable to get a picture. I sloshed through freezing water though trying to find him but he'd already hightailed it.

Tonight I was able to get back out to Berthoud Pass which is the pass your go through getting to winter park from the south. The day we arrived the clouds were hanging very low, to the point we were driving through them but, all the kids were tired and the wife vetoed a photo put stop. However, tonight I noticed the clouds were looking low over the pass so I grabbed my gear and took off. On the south end of the pass it was grey and gloomy, the north end the clouds looked on fire from the setting sun. It was an awesome experience to witness and photograph the extreme difference depending on which way you looked.

As far as gear goes, all landscapes were shot with the Polar Pro Summit kit, which included a CP filter, usually an ND filter and at times also an NDGrad. R5 camera body with EF 16-35 2.8 III, EF 24-70 2.8 II and the RF 100-500. I've really grown to love the 100-500. If you have an RF mount body I strongly recommend picking one of these up.

Sunset over Berthoud Pass, Colorado by Chris Jeans, on Flickr

untitledJuly 06, 2021-_84A9177.jpg by Chris Jeans, on Flickr

High Elevation and Low Clouds by Chris Jeans, on Flickr

Low clouds in mountain pass by Chris Jeans, on Flickr

untitledJuly 06, 2021-_84A9128.jpg by Chris Jeans, on Flickr

Trail Ridge Road, RMNP by Chris Jeans, on Flickr

Moose calf feeding in meadow by Chris Jeans, on Flickr

Young Bull Elk in RMNP by Chris Jeans, on Flickr

Colorado Waterfall by Chris Jeans, on Flickr

On the rocks... by Chris Jeans, on Flickr

Mountainside waterfall by Chris Jeans, on Flickr
          Last edited by chongo; 07-07-2021, 03:16 AM.

Comment

Oh man I ain't much on judging photo's but wow those are awesome.

I remember the first time vacationing in Colorado as an adult and being jealous that people get to live there. Kinda hard to point the truck back towards the Houston area after spending time in such a beautiful area of the country.

Comment

I’m with ya on not wanting to leave southern Colorado at the end of a vacation. But, that state is absolutely dominated politically by Denver, which is going off the liberal deep end with California transplants. I couldn’t bring myself to live there full time.

Whereabouts in southern CO were y’all? We are doing a Conejos river valley backpacking trip in a few weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
                I’m with ya on not wanting to leave southern Colorado at the end of a vacation. But, that state is absolutely dominated politically by Denver, which is going off the liberal deep end with California transplants. I couldn’t bring myself to live there full time.

Whereabouts in southern CO were y’all? We are doing a Conejos river valley backpacking trip in a few weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                We were actually in northern Colorado in Fraser, just north of Winterpark.

Denver definitely controls the narrative for the state. I saw plenty of Trump hats, flags and shirts where we were though (well outside of Denver). My wife and I are discussing a move though. I honestly believe TX will be a blue state within 10 years anyway and between the two, Colorado checks more boxes for us.

Comment

Great pictures of beautiful country. Very nice detail on the moose calf and the young bull elk, almost seems like I could reach out and touch them.

Comment

These are the Lava Cliffs in RMNP. They're on Trail Ridge Road just east of the Alpine Visitor Center. Best viewed large by clicking through.

"Between 28 and 26 million years ago, volcanoes erupted repeatedly in the area of today’s Never Summer Mountains, eight miles to the west. Deposits of volcanic debris frequently blanketed the land. One flow of hot, incandescent ash extended this far, cooling to form hard rock. Much later, glacial ice carved into the hillside and exposed a cross section of the Precambrian Rock to form the lava cliff that you can see from the overlook today."

Lava Cliffs, RMNP by Chris Jeans, on Flickr

Comment

I love Timelapse photos

Comment

Working...
                      X