Recommended reading Texas History: "Lone Star"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommended reading Texas History: "Lone Star"

I just finished reading "Lone Star: A History of Texas and the Texans", by T.R. Fehrenbach of San Antonio. GREAT read. Long, with no pictures, but a great read. This explains the TEXAN mindset, where it came from, why, and how we came to be. If, like me, you're a Native Texan from generations back, you'll appreciate understanding where we came from, and the blood and sacrifice our forefathers made to make Texas what it is. If you're not a native Texan, this book will help you understand what you've gotten into. It'll make you think. Not all of our history is something to be especially proud of. But it is a tremendous read. IMO it should be required reading for Texans of every stripe.

There are a bunch of excerpts i wish i could type. But there are just too many. I'm going to leave this, from the last chapter on 20th Century Texas and Texans.

...."The cult of courage was obvious; cowards never sought out any dangerous frontier. But like all warrior-colored societies, the Texan despised cowardice in a way more secure societies could not understand. The physical coward, the man who rode away when the Comanches poured along the Brazos, leaving his womenfolk behind, was not tolerable for obvious reasons. But the cult of courage was mercilessly applied much further: the man who did not accept combat when it was offered, for any reason, was suspect"....

This book has a LOT of insight into the psyche of the TEXAN. Again, i highly recommend it. TEXAS OUR TEXAS. LONG LIVE TEXAS.

Six thousand miles of fence

Comment

It was published in 1975, the year I graduated from college. Well told, beginning with early prehistoric natives of possible European origin to mid-twentieth century. The pages in the library's edition had turned yellow by the time I read it many years ago, which made me feel really old. Bigfoot Wallace is one of my favorite characters in the book.
      The book ends with the author's prediction that the Texas we have known will cease to exist when it becomes just endless shopping strip centers and subdivisions. As the hills around Central Texas continue to fill up with homes and traffic lights, I am reminded of Mr. Fehrenbach's prophecy.

Comment

Thanks for the recommendation. Will pick up a copy.

Comment

Thanks for recommending this book. Sounds like something I'd really like to read.

Comment

Originally posted by BarBBar View Post
            It was published in 1975, the year I graduated from college. Well told, beginning with early prehistoric natives of possible European origin to mid-twentieth century. The pages in the library's edition had turned yellow by the time I read it many years ago, which made me feel really old. Bigfoot Wallace is one of my favorite characters in the book.
            The book ends with the author's prediction that the Texas we have known will cease to exist when it becomes just endless shopping strip centers and subdivisions. As the hills around Central Texas continue to fill up with homes and traffic lights, I am reminded of Mr. Fehrenbach's prophecy.
            I have a new appreciation for:
            Sam Houston
            L H McNelly

and especially Jack Hays. "Me and my friend will go to hell and back together. Jack Hays will go to hell and back by himself". Classic.

Comment

Thanks for the recommendation.

Comment

Working...
              X