DIY flats skiff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY flats skiff

Well, I cannot afford nor justify a $30k two-man flats skiff when I have a perfectly good Majek in the driveway but I have a strong desire for one. I have wanted to build a slick little skiff from scratch for a few years now so, no time like the present!

I have already received orders for fiberglass, resin, paint, grab bar, outboard motor, lights, navigation system and a ton of other parts/pieces. Tomorrow evening I will be picking up the trailer from a TBHer in Victoria.

Today I ordered the Okoume marine plywood. Paying to have it drop shipped here at the house was worth the extra scratch instead of taking time out to drive to Waco to pick it up! This should arrive early next week.

If no other hiccups happen construction should begin shortly after Christmas. Fortunately for me my best friend has been wanting to build one too for some time so this will be a joint build. We will be building the Salt Boatworks FRS-14 and showcasing our progress here.

Microskiff plans perfect for a first time boat builder! Build a boat your proud of with our stitch and glue boat plans and how to videos

Michael

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This will be sweet!

Comment

Looking forward to the build.

Comment

If all goes to plan, put me in line as your first customer for your second build.

Comment

This is going to be cool.

Comment

I always wanted to do this but my honey-do list is too long.

Comment

That's neat. Be prepared to find cured epoxy on everything you own now!

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
                I always wanted to do this but my honey-do list is too long.

Mine is as long as my arm too Jay. I made a deal with my bride that I would knock out the biggest project on the list, a bathroom remodel but afterwards I am taking a break to build the boat. I’m almost finished with the remodel with a Christmas deadline.

Michael

Comment

that is sweet, ill be glued to this if all goes well im going to have to think seriously about the 15 footer!

Comment

Very cool, in for progress and updates.

Comment

I will say this, on the Salt Boatworks site and Bateau (Boat Builders Central) site they say a skiff this size can be built for $1,200-$1,500. That very well could be true if you do not want things like paint or a motor. I will not post what we already have in it prior to starting but I will say I pasted those amounts some time back.

Michael

Comment

very interesting

Comment

Tuned in!

Comment

I have no idea why my materials picture turned out the way it did? Will try reposting it and add in the gloves, clamps, rollers and tip brushes picked up today from HF.

Michael

Comment

Want some help? I'm available for 2 weeks a Christmas. Have tools, will travel.

Comment

Working...
                              X