Bass tracker II to Flats skiff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bass tracker II to Flats skiff

So, this thread will be spread out over the next year, but I bought a new project boat. Starting brain storming ideas now.

My current bass tracker super bandit I bought several years from a TBH’er and made it into a bass/duck boat. It’s more of a A to B kind of boat. Doesn’t get that shallow but has a 90hp Evinrude. It was a lot of work I feel like, and it gave me ideas on how to do things differently on the next one. So I’m going to finish rewiring it, and redo the hydro turf and put it up for sale. The sale of that will help fund this next build.

Seemed like my bigger pain points on the super bandit had to do with the livewells, old foam, and rivets. So in my mind, I wanted something to strip down to the bare hull and rebuild up. I never used my livewells, never really missed them either. I still want to use this boat to duck hunt in, so I’d rather have open floor space. I’ve also gotten into fly fishing and want to chase fish in the flats. Looked at having a custom boat built, and it was too pricey. I’d rather invest that money else where. I really like the Sabine skiffs but they are like $30K. I could spend that on a cheap investment property on the coast or something instead. So I figured I would look for an old alumacraft boat that was a failed project.

Ended up scoring a 16ft bass tracker II for $360 with a tilt trailer. Best part about it is it’s about 90% gutted! Most the hard work is done I feel like. So it’s just about a solid blank slate and it’s a mod-v with a flat bottom. Should be able to cut waves and get shallow.

Here are some crappy pictures - I had to drop it off at a buddy’s before I broke the news to my wife.[emoji51]

So here are my ideas and I’m open to hearing more!
    -Pull the two live wells in the boat.
    -Remove the two seats(they aren’t really seats but have a bunch foam in them).
    -Remove riveted side rail
    -Add top deck (similar to a Sabine)
    -Water test rivets and fix as needed
    -Put frog spit on the bottom
    -Probably do a coat flex seal on the inside and put in foam board for floatation
    -Install aluminum floor
    -Looking at doing a jet drive tiller possibly?
    -I’ll probably weld some square tubing on the front to add different attachments(think truck hitch) winch and for LED light bars for bow fishing
    -Removable push pole platform but make it to where I can add a duck blind utilizing mounting
    -Gas tank and batteries to front
    -Jackplate depending on how motor fits
    - 2 hatches with 2 removable waterproof lining to access other things in the boat
    - Self bailing plug

That’s my game plan for getting it functional.

Things I haven’t decided:
    -Pods - maybe even a hinging pod similar to Lenco tabs
    - Color - wife thinks my camo boat looks hideous in the driveway so I’m thinking a solid color but still duck hunting friendly. Any of you guys have any ideas?
    - How I want to rig up for fish finder/Gps
    - Can’t decide if I want to get a sound bar or not
    - Can’t decide on if I want to do seadek or not
    - power pole or manual?

Curious to hear any helpful input! I’ve got to offload some items before I get started on this build, but I’m hoping to have the bulk of it done before June but it’ll probably be a year long add.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the lay out I’m going to go for minus the side console.

Comment

Looking forward to the updates. Best of luck.

Comment

Nice

Comment

Keep as much weight out as you can so its not too hard to pull it out of the mud when we get stuck. Nice project boat brother. We need to take a ride in mine to catch some crappie soon.

Comment

Originally posted by RockTippedStick View Post
            Keep as much weight out as you can so its not too hard to pull it out of the mud when we get stuck. Nice project boat brother. We need to take a ride in mine to catch some crappie soon.

Should definitely be heating up soon!

Comment

Good luck. I built an alweld out in the early '90's. HD foam covered in glass for front and rear decks and floor, front and rear raised platforms, spontoons and a jack plate. I didn't have walkarounds though. They get kinda heavy when all done though.

Comment

Enjoy watching these builds

Comment

Great ideas. Will it be “tippy” with big guys walking around.
                  On the deck and poling platform?

Your wife would not like my wardrobe.

[ame="https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8KZIxSUpqpI"]Brad Paisley Camouflage - YouTube[/ame]

BP
                  Last edited by Big pig; 03-02-2020, 06:19 AM.

Comment

My rebuild is similar to this. 17.5x60 with a 70hp.

I have some recommendations.

Don't use flex seal. Does not hold up.

I would go with a normal outboard and put in "taller" center console. That way you can see more while cruising. With float pods and an 8" jack plate you will be able to run under a foot. And faster than a jet.

Add a poling platform out back.

I extended the elevated front deck a little on mine. And when I need height I will strap a 60qt cooler onto it for extra elevation. Allows me to remove everything for a low profile to duck hunt.

Comment

I’ve wanted to do the same thing. Will be following this

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
                        Great ideas. Will it be “tippy” with big guys walking around.
                        On the deck and poling platform?

Your wife would not like my wardrobe.

Brad Paisley Camouflage - YouTube

BP

It might be a little tippy. But I think the goal for the most part will be to keep all the weight in the center. By standing on a cooler and poling off a platform you kind of limit yourself on movement.

Comment

Originally posted by Flex View Post
                          My rebuild is similar to this. 17.5x60 with a 70hp.

I have some recommendations.

Don't use flex seal. Does not hold up.

I would go with a normal outboard and put in "taller" center console. That way you can see more while cruising. With float pods and an 8" jack plate you will be able to run under a foot. And faster than a jet.

Add a poling platform out back.

I extended the elevated front deck a little on mine. And when I need height I will strap a 60qt cooler onto it for extra elevation. Allows me to remove everything for a low profile to duck hunt.

Really the idea on the flex seal is to help make the hull quieter and be on the inside of the boat then covered with foam sheets and aluminum flooring. So it should stay out of the elements. If it actually helps with sealing that will be a plus. But I’ll fix rivets before hand if need be.

I’m hoping to have the tiller steer with extended handle so I can sit on top of poling platform in the back and drive.

Comment

That's a nice tracker! I have been looking for a cheap one to gut for a private lake bass rig. I know i can buy a good 16' jon boat new, but i can buy a used 16' tracker cheaper, and they already have fishing decks!

Comment

Just got a smoking deal on an 03 40hp Merc with only 30 hours on it.

It’s a long shaft motor - so I’ll have to find a different lower unit (has the lower unit with an extension bolted on). But I’ll probably just end up going prop instead of jet.

Comment

Working...
                              X