Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-17-2019, 03:17 PM   #51
Jspradley
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushbutton2 View Post

Maybe this

As Always My Heart is filled with Love for you and Your Families. Not because I am commanded to Love my Neighbor but because I can, am able to and it brings me Joy.
I believe that would fall under "Dangerous Game"
Jspradley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2019, 03:21 PM   #52
FastLife1K
Spike

Hunt In: Anywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alta View Post
You donít recognize the difference between a plane or helicopter flying over and a drone videoing in somebodyís backyard or in this case hanging out above ones feeder?
Oh i do. but the FAA does not and there really is no difference. a news chopper can hover over a place and video for as long as they want.
FastLife1K is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2019, 03:22 PM   #53
AgBass01
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cuero, Brownwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspradley View Post
I believe that would fall under "Dangerous Game"
Yea that's when you have to yell "He's coming right for us!" Before shooting right? Lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
AgBass01 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2019, 03:27 PM   #54
FastLife1K
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by RattlesnakeDan View Post
It is a world of difference...we know those laws were written before the inception of personal small drones taking to the skies. The intent of the law was never to fine or arrest someone taking out a small personal drone. I would take my chances in a court of law.
Don't shoot me the messenger lol

But they weren't written before personal drones became popular. The latest set of UAS laws were just released this year. And speaking from experience people have taken there chances with the law and are having to pay. so just letting you know. do what you want and all if you can afford it.
Old 10-17-2019, 03:31 PM   #55
RattlesnakeDan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastLife1K View Post

But they weren't written before personal drones became popular. The latest set of UAS laws were just released this year. And speaking from experience people have taken there chances with the law and are having to pay. so just letting you know. do what you want and all if you can afford it.
I assumed those were old laws, I can't believe that new laws would protect a personal drone the same as an actual aircraft. Makes no sense to me but I guess many laws don't anymore. lol
RattlesnakeDan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2019, 03:32 PM   #56
Alta
Four Point

Hunt In: Markham, Tx; Mississippi

Quote:
Oh i do. but the FAA does not and there really is no difference. a news chopper can hover over a place and video for as long as they want.
There really is an enormous difference even if the FAA laws have not been updated to reflect drones (which were not around when those laws were enacted). And it will most likely take an individual challenging the law by being prosecuted for taking down a drone to enact change in this area. Our next door neighbor had a drone outside their kids window a couple weeks back. News helicopters normally donít try to video children in their bedrooms. This is just one example of the problem and why laws need to be updated as an unmanned drone is very different than a helicopter or plane.
Alta is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2019, 03:33 PM   #57
Alta
Four Point

Quote:

My understanding is they are old laws that have not been updated. New laws have been released but nothing has changed regarding drones.
Old 10-17-2019, 03:36 PM   #58
FastLife1K
Spike

Quote:
There really is an enormous difference even if the FAA laws have not been updated to reflect drones (which were not around when those laws were enacted). And it will most likely take an individual challenging the law by being prosecuted for taking down a drone to enact change in this area. Our next door neighbor had a drone outside their kids window a couple weeks back. News helicopters normally donít try to video children in their bedrooms. This is just one example of the problem and why laws need to be updated as an unmanned drone is very different than a helicopter or plane.
https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2019/02...e-missing-dog/

https://www.wideopenspaces.com/kentu...-flying-house/

There have been a couple incidents in Texas that aren't mentioned in the news were the FAA gave out fines for shooting drones.

What you are referring to fall under privacy laws and the drone operator if found can be prosecuted by local police for "peeping Tom" laws. And pretty soon those probably wont matter with how far you can zoom in on google earth lol
Old 10-17-2019, 03:37 PM   #59
FastLife1K
Spike

Quote:
My understanding is they are old laws that have not been updated. New laws have been released but nothing has changed regarding drones.
Please explain. the laws regarding drones have changed drastically over the last few years. and model aircraft with camera have been around since before i was born lol its just recently a popular problem
Old 10-17-2019, 03:38 PM   #60
FastLife1K
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by RattlesnakeDan View Post
I assumed those were old laws, I can't believe that new laws would protect a personal drone the same as an actual aircraft. Makes no sense to me but I guess many laws don't anymore. lol
You would think but the FAA wants to know who is flying the drone so how did they make that happen? They required drone registrations and assigned N numbers to them lol Government operations....
Old 10-17-2019, 03:38 PM   #61
rvd
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

I missed one by inches with a pink skitter walk in Allyn's Bight this summer . I knew who's it was though and the video was actually pretty cool.
rvd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2019, 03:40 PM   #62
Alta
Four Point

Quote:
https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2019/02...e-missing-dog/

https://www.wideopenspaces.com/kentu...-flying-house/

There have been a couple incidents in Texas that aren't mentioned in the news were the FAA gave out fines for shooting drones.

What you are referring to fall under privacy laws and the drone operator if found can be prosecuted by local police for "peeping Tom" laws. And pretty soon those probably wont matter with how far you can zoom in on google earth lol
Iím not arguing that shooting down drones should be legal. That should (and will) remain illegal for a number of reasons. In your original post you mentioned that you donít understand why people react the way they do to drones and not helicopters. I was pointing out there are a number of reasons for that. Eventually laws will need to be revised for drones but I donít think that should include shooting them down.
Old 10-17-2019, 03:44 PM   #63
ultrastealth
Ten Point

Hunt In: Camp Wood, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspradley View Post
I'm sure there's recourse for the person being harrassed, operators have pretty strict rules they have to follow but you'd likely end up with fed problems shooting one down unless you can prove some sort of real danger.
"I felt threatened". That should be all that it takes to legally down a drone, and, if it's in bow range, it's a threat. Somebody is going to strap a weapon to a drone, and that's when all of these laws will change.
ultrastealth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2019, 03:46 PM   #64
FastLife1K
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrastealth View Post
"I felt threatened". That should be all that it takes to legally down a drone, and, if it's in bow range, it's a threat. Somebody is going to strap a weapon to a drone, and that's when all of these laws will change.
You would think that would spur some action but they already used a drone in an assassination attempt on a Https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caracas_drone_attack
Old 10-17-2019, 03:48 PM   #65
FastLife1K
Spike

Quote:
Iím not arguing that shooting down drones should be legal. That should (and will) remain illegal for a number of reasons. In your original post you mentioned that you donít understand why people react the way they do to drones and not helicopters. I was pointing out there are a number of reasons for that. Eventually laws will need to be revised for drones but I donít think that should include shooting them down.
I mainly meant as far as drones flying over peoples houses at reasonable heights 100+ Drone laws need ALOT of work on them to get them fixed lol
Old 10-17-2019, 03:50 PM   #66
Mike Murphey
Pope & Young

Someone is hunting your set up.....when you are there!
Mike Murphey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2019, 03:52 PM   #67
Split_Brow
Six Point

Hunt In: Hopkins County, SE Oklahoma, Kansas, Iowa, Dark Side of the Moon

"An entry into another’s airspace is a trespass even if the trespasser doesn’t touch the surface of the earth. Aircraft may trespass by flying low over a person’s property, for example. An aircraft trespasses by flying low enough over the surface to interfere with the owner’s reasonable use and enjoyment of his/her surface."
Airspace ownership is defined as the airspace that an owner can reasonably use, such as putting up an antennae of sorts or building a high-rise building. It is muddy waters beyond that because airspace above what a land owner can use belongs to the public.
Split_Brow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2019, 03:55 PM   #68
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx

After one has been shot down for attacking someone....is there a GPS chip or anything that they need to smash and destroy? Asking for a friend
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2019, 03:55 PM   #69
FastLife1K
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split_Brow View Post
"An entry into anotherís airspace is a trespass even if the trespasser doesnít touch the surface of the earth. Aircraft may trespass by flying low over a personís property, for example. An aircraft trespasses by flying low enough over the surface to interfere with the ownerís reasonable use and enjoyment of his/her surface."
Airspace ownership is defined as the airspace that an owner can reasonably use, such as putting up an antennae of sorts or building a high-rise building. It is muddy waters beyond that because airspace above what a land owner can use belongs to the public.
Air rights are a messy subject

The low cost of unmanned aerial vehicles (also called drones) in the 2000s re-raised legal questions regarding whose permission is required to fly at low altitudes; the landowner, the FAA or both.[12] There has never been a direct challenge to the federal governments vesting of the right for citizens to travel though navigable airspace. As such, the status quo is only permission from the FAA (through regulation) is required. However, existing property rights over private property still allow for civil claims of taking when property use is "substantially impaired" by the use of the airspace.[13] The FAA has also reiterated that it has sole authority to regulate this right.
Old 10-17-2019, 03:56 PM   #70
FastLife1K
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man View Post
After one has been shot down for attacking someone....is there a GPS chip or anything that they need to smash and destroy? Asking for a friend
Wrap it with tin foil lol thats how some drone owners were blocking the GPS signal and flying into controlled airspace.
Old 10-17-2019, 03:56 PM   #71
ultrastealth
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split_Brow View Post
"An entry into anotherís airspace is a trespass even if the trespasser doesnít touch the surface of the earth. Aircraft may trespass by flying low over a personís property, for example. An aircraft trespasses by flying low enough over the surface to interfere with the ownerís reasonable use and enjoyment of his/her surface."
Private aircraft are prohibited from flying below 500 feet without the landowner's consent. I don't see why drones wouldn't be included in this.
Old 10-17-2019, 04:01 PM   #72
FastLife1K
Spike

Quote:
Private aircraft are prohibited from flying below 500 feet without the landowner's consent. I don't see why drones wouldn't be included in this.
in the United States in particular, the Federal Aviation Administration calls this concept the minimum safe altitude (MSA), and is defined within the Federal Aviation Regulations (FAR):

Anywhere: an altitude allowing a safe emergency landing without undue hazard to person or property on the ground;
Over Congested Areas: an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal distance of less than 2,000 feet;
Over Unpopulated Areas: an altitude of 500 feet AGL;
Over Open Water or Sparsely Populated Areas: an altitude allowing for a linear distance greater than 500 feet from any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure;
Helicopters: If without hazard to persons or property on the surface, an altitude lower than in definitions 2, 3, and 4 above, provided in compliance with any routes or altitudes specifically prescribed for helicopters by the FAA.
Old 10-17-2019, 04:20 PM   #73
sharpstick35
Ten Point

Hunt In: rocksprings tx

carry mini drones and send them up after it .
sharpstick35 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2019, 04:21 PM   #74
FastLife1K
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpstick35 View Post
carry mini drones and send them up after it .
Get one of them falcons!
Old 10-17-2019, 04:29 PM   #75
Jspradley
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

Quote:
Get one of them falcons!
That would be messy...
Jspradley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2019, 04:39 PM   #76
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

Quote:
Not.in the regulations I read.
I can fly 50 feet if I stay away from structures
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2019, 04:50 PM   #77
alien_scones
Eight Point

Hunt In: Baird, Callahan, Howe

Call the game warden?
alien_scones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2019, 04:51 PM   #78
AgBass01
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by alien_scones View Post
Call the game warden?
Haven't yet but might tonight after I get done hunting.

Old 10-17-2019, 04:52 PM   #79
eradicator
Pope & Young

You were just doing a little crow hunting and accidentally smoked this guys toy?
eradicator is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2019, 04:57 PM   #80
Loneaggie
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man View Post
Nope most are constantly transmitting flight logs and video to the remote. So when you shoot the drone, they will have its exact gps coordinates, altitude, and even the video of you shooting it. Of course the good news... is for all those in the wrong.... that data cuts both ways.
Loneaggie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2019, 05:00 PM   #81
DirtyDave
Ten Point

Wonder if Game Wardens are using drones for surveillance?
DirtyDave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2019, 05:24 PM   #82
AgBass01
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDave View Post
Wonder if Game Wardens are using drones for surveillance?
That was my first thought.

Old 10-17-2019, 05:28 PM   #83
sticks
Six Point

Hunt In: Woodson, Throckmorton

if you can prove who is doing it, it is hunter harassment. its a violation of your rights.
same as if they are walking your fence line banging on pots and pans.
i'd pt a hole in it.

Also, drones are now the new tool of thieves.
sticks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2019, 06:14 PM   #84
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Had a friend around lake fork pen a large group of cattle to be worked. Middle of nowhere. Pulled up in time to see them tear through a gate and stamped off... as a drone hovered around 10’ above. Spotted him and hauled @ss

Drones are like dogs. Keep them in check if you value them. I don’t have Facebook and don’t feel need to post rants... I’m a problem solver
Low Fence is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2019, 06:26 PM   #85
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Quote:

I thought they limited drones to a max altitude of 400í?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2019, 06:32 PM   #86
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia Nebraska

There will always be a few idiots determined to abuse the us of, and screw up, useful gadgets...
It will never change.
ttaxidermy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2019, 10:14 PM   #87
gatt40
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Patricio, Mountain Home & wherever

Makes you wonder
gatt40 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2019, 10:24 PM   #88
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5

Quote:
reaction of "eff drones" and they shouldn't be flying over my land but they don't have the same reaction to planes or helicopters? It is very interesting to me.

The reason more and more people are saying eff drones is because people are usually being harassed or their privacy being invaded by the dirt bags operating them

If a helicopter was hovering at low altitude or a plane barnstorming me I would have just as much problem with that too

If I saw a drone cross my place at speed and not hanging around and poking their camera where it donít belong then I probably wouldnít think any more about it than I do the hospitals helicopter I see going back and forth all the time

I guess the next thing you will tell us is your right to retrieve your drone from my property where it crashed trumps my property rights to keep you and anybody else out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BTLowry is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2019, 10:43 PM   #89
Leon County Slayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Camo (Leon County) - Knifemaker<><

Pretty sure my arrows and bullets have air space rights superior to drones near my feeders. I’d be willing to take up the fight. I’m guess the drone doesn’t appear again either though.
Leon County Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2019, 11:07 PM   #90
RifleBowPistol
Ten Point

I wonder if poachers have started using them, to check out places to make sure everything is clear and to see where the deer are
RifleBowPistol is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2019, 11:23 PM   #91
MUZZYSLINGR
Ten Point

Hunt In: Home and wherever i can

Quote:
Originally Posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
I wonder if poachers have started using them, to check out places to make sure everything is clear and to see where the deer are

I wouldnít be surprised to find out that had happened.

MUZZYSLINGR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2019, 11:48 PM   #92
Skinny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montague County

How high
Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2019, 11:57 PM   #93
hopedale
Pope & Young

Hunt In: WMAs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemorvan View Post
So, legally, a drone operator can run the thing wherever he wants and there's no real legal recourse for the person being messed with? More evidence of a jacked up world we live in. Jeez.
Nope. I do believe hunter harassment is covered by TPWD

I'd call the Game Warden and let them know about the incident.
hopedale is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2019, 12:55 AM   #94
wtx223
Ten Point

Hunt In: TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Fence View Post

Drones are like dogs. Keep them in check if you value them.
wtx223 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2019, 01:18 AM   #95
monsterspike
Ten Point

blame the gun, not the shooter.
monsterspike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2019, 07:32 AM   #96
friscopaint
Ten Point

Appraisal district figuring the taxable values of the set up......
friscopaint is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2019, 07:33 AM   #97
friscopaint
Ten Point

Congratulations on your $2,000 dollar feeder, $1,000 dollar enclosure which will be removed from ag and that blind is large enough to live in so $25,000
friscopaint is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2019, 07:39 AM   #98
BURTONboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgBass01 View Post
LMAO, now my dad is buzzing me in his Cessna.

Thats a good problem to have! Means you have access to a Cessna! As for the drone, hopefully whoever it was got the message and doesnt do it again.

BURTONboy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2019, 08:25 AM   #99
coldgas
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hemphill Co

Quote:
Agreed. there needs to be more enforcement of the laws from the FAA. And the only agency that own any airspace int he US is the FAA. Keeping a drone in "line of sight" is a "best practice " and recommended by the FAA but not a law.

What is funny to me as I see more and more drones interact with people most people have the reaction of "eff drones" and they shouldn't be flying over my land but they don't have the same reaction to planes or helicopters? It is very interesting to me.

I wish more drone owners were responsible and the FAA did more against them but that is a long way off.
A helicopter is usually several hundred feet over you. Flying a drone a 30 feet over your property to me gets intrusive. The laws need to be fixed.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
coldgas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2019, 08:51 AM   #100
ultrastealth
Ten Point

Consider that, unless he gets you on camera doing it, it would be very hard to prove that you jammed the drone. The other advantage of this is that the a-hole who was flying the drone is going to have to come over to get his equipment, and you get to have a conversation with him, which you can get the game warden involved in. That being said, the jammers aren't cheap.
http://www.jammers4u.com/drones-jammer