Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Post #7.

Comment

That was 7 hours ago. Surely they have found his house by now. OP hasn't posted since.

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
        Sounds like a bad neutral . Sounds like you neutral is open coming from your transformer . I would call the power company and have them check their transformer
        X2.

Comment

In for the Op to tell us what happened. Would like to know who the utility is?

With AMI meters, system ops would be able to see voltage spiking to 300 V..

Comment

Bad transformer.

Comment

Maybe he realized he didn't know how to check voltage.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mastro View Post
                No other issues so far but the panel box is registering 300V at all breakers. Yes, single phase. Line from street is underground.

So do you actually have 600 volts total coming into the panel? Either way, you should have smoked a lot more than one appliance. I bet your ceiling fans are about to shear the blades off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a feeling we will never know the rest of the story

Comment

Can we please get an update on what the issue was?

Comment

Back to the top for final answer. You know the rules.

Comment

I was called out when a business said they had 300 volts coming to a 120/240 volt panel. I get there and the maintenance man pulls out his meter, and sure enough it shows 300 volts to ground. I look around and don't see any fans or hand tools smoking so I got my tester. Mine showed voltage was 120/240. I told him to buy another tester.

Comment

Originally posted by db@100 View Post
                          I was called out when a business said they had 300 volts coming to a 120/240 volt panel. I get there and the maintenance man pulls out his meter, and sure enough it shows 300 volts to ground. I look around and don't see any fans or hand tools smoking so I got my tester. Mine showed voltage was 120/240. I told him to buy another tester.
                          I have found that my cheap meters register high voltage when the battery in them is getting weak. I am suspecting that may be what happened here.

Comment

Originally posted by db@100 View Post
                            Sorry for late response y’all. I was at work when the technician called me about the 300v. After he called me, I had the power Co. come check it out. Plus, I tested myself this morning. Neither the power Co. nor my tester show anything more than 245. My wife was home and saw the technicians meter at 300v so I’m certain he saw what he saw. I’m thinking we have a scenario like this post. Must be something wrong with his meter. That’s my best guess. Appreciate all the helpful advice.

Comment

Why would anyone trust their life to a cheap meter

Comment

I have a Fluke that reads rather high. It doesn't have to be a cheap meter to be wrong. Now I just use it to test for hot circuits. If I need to know voltage, I get the new meter.

Comment

Working...
                                X