No announcement yet.

Tips for incoming does

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First thing deer do when they get out of the trailer is walk the fence line, if your soft release pen is big and pretty thick, make sure there is water and feed on the fence line.

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
      Watch out if you got neighbors with dogs, they will bark and chase them around the pen and the deer will run into the fence and break their necks. .22 mag works wonders

Are your Does pure South Texas genetics or Northern deer?
      I doubt they are pure south tx as most arent.

Comment

Originally posted by Sippy View Post
        I doubt they are pure south tx as most arent.
        Your probably right, hard for me to pay big money for northern deer and then finding them dead from EHD later on. Being hot and dry like it is now would worry me.

Comment

How are they taking to the alfalfa?
          What's the best way to feed it to native deer in this drought? Or is there something better (already feeding protein, but only 1 feeder) that can be done?

Comment

Originally posted by JunxMan View Post
            What's the best way to feed it to native deer in this drought? Or is there something better (already feeding protein, but only 1 feeder) that can be done?
            A feeder per 100-150 acres with a deer pellet that has above 14% fiber would be best. And water, water, water.

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
              Your probably right, hard for me to pay big money for northern deer and then finding them dead from EHD later on. Being hot and dry like it is now would worry me.

These are pure south Texas and have never had any northern influence. I got them from one of the first established Texas breeders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JunxMan View Post

They ate it but took a while. That was just a added feed to get them through.
                During dry times you can change to a feed with more fiber. We also feed that to penned deer that may not get quite as much browse. Just what I was advised by the man I got them from. L/E has blends for different scenarios but I have not studied them all and can’t say wether they are good or bad.

Comment

Originally posted by gtsticker View Post
                  These are pure south Texas and have never had any northern influence. I got them from one of the first established Texas breeders.

Who?

Comment

Bobby Schmidt

Comment

Bobby Schmidt

Nice deer, but most arent pure Texas.

Comment

Good deal, exactly what I did, even if not 100% pure which very few are you shouldn’t have to worry about EHD and have some very hearty deer.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffJ View Post
                          Are they TTT or pen does. TTT just pray. Pen bred we had luck putting feed and water along the fence lines. Pen deer are used to fences and we have seen them tend to walk them the first few days.
                          good advice

Comment

Working...
                          X