Lamar / Red River County Survey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lamar / Red River County Survey

Would like to hear more perspectives on # of deer sighted this year vs last couple of years. I won't post my thoughts until later to avoid skewing the responses.

QUESTION: Have you seen more, the same, or fewer deer (any deer) than the last couple of years in Red River and/or Lamar county?

I have seen fewer deer than in years past at my particular stands. Both are established locations that i have been hunting for 5-6 years and keep sight logs for each sit, plus run cameras year round. Our acorn crop seems to be less this year also, which makes me scratch my head some as to the fewer deer seen. We do see a HUGE increase in our hog population, despite trapping more this year than ever on this lease, and killing every one we see while hunting. Overall antler size seems to be good from camera observations, just not seeing them while hunting.

Comment

Have seen more deer per sitting in Red River county.

Comment

Originally posted by Aggiebush View Post
        I have seen fewer deer than in years past at my particular stands. Both are established locations that i have been hunting for 5-6 years and keep sight logs for each sit, plus run cameras year round. Our acorn crop seems to be less this year also, which makes me scratch my head some as to the fewer deer seen. We do see a HUGE increase in our hog population, despite trapping more this year than ever on this lease, and killing every one we see while hunting. Overall antler size seems to be good from camera observations, just not seeing them while hunting.

Thanks for the feedback. Hoping more will chime in.

Comment

Originally posted by rjet View Post
          Have seen more deer per sitting in Red River county.
          Thanks! Hoping more will chime in.

Comment

Some properties more, some less in Red River. Over all I haven’t noticed a large change the last 20 years, but that’s just me.

Comment

To the top

Comment

Can us Fannin county boys participate? I've seen great numbers this year. Good quality deer as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowthreat View Post
                  Can us Fannin county boys participate? I've seen great numbers this year. Good quality deer as well.

Good feedback. Are you hearing the same from others that hunt Fannin?

Comment

I've seen about the same number of deer in Red River County, but many more bucks than I typically see.

Comment

Originally posted by Yarbro55 View Post
                      I've seen about the same number of deer in Red River County, but many more bucks than I typically see.
                      Glad to hear that

Comment

Originally posted by JustinB View Post
                        Good feedback. Are you hearing the same from others that hunt Fannin?
                        Yes sir. It's been a great year. I shot a 156" 6 year old the second week in November. I saw a bigger deer a week later looking for does. Deer density has good overall. We just bought this property, however I've been in the area for a couple years. Talking to people who have been in the area longer than me, they seem to agree. We're very optimistic in coming years due to the new construction of lake Bois D' arc.
                        Last edited by Arrowthreat; 12-15-2020, 02:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowthreat View Post
                          Yes sir. It's been a great year. I shot a 156" 6 year old the second week in November. I saw a bigger deer a week later looking for does. Deer density has good overall. We just bought this property, however I've been in the area for a couple years. Talking to people who have been in the area longer than me, they seem to agree. We're very optimistic in coming years due to the new construction of lake Bois D' arc.
                          Yeah those deer are going to get displaced, there are places along IH-35 right now that are seeing lots of deer they didn't before because of development and loss of habitat. The deer were always there but now they got nowhere to hide.

Comment

What I have noticed over the years here in Lamar County, is deer and pigs have an inverse relationship. The more of one the less of the other. This year the soybean fields around me didn't get planted, way fewer hogs, and way more deer.

Comment

More deer and hogs in Red River County.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X