favorite catfish reel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

favorite catfish reel?

My brother just got a pontoon boat and we are planning to do a lot of cat fishing out of it. I’m an inshore guy and never had really targeted cats I know my inshore stuff will handle a lot of the size we will catch but what about the big guys?

Okuma Komodos SS 300s
    Tranx 300s
    Abu 7000s
    I have a couple of the Komodo 400s and they are too much real imo.
    I prefer the LPS to the old school round.
    Okuma & Diawa are the only people building LPs with a bait alert, that I'm aware of.

Comment

I like Abu Garcia 5500or similar.

Comment

ABU 7000 Series - you ain't fishing 9,000ft of water, release and follow if it goes there - same game inshore with redfish or drum on this class oft tackle - working up to 80lb fish - any species with the bottom - this reel setup is well known - to cover inshore fresh/salt with the right drag/gears to seal the deal.

Many use them - level wind with a cast control system - you can under arm cast 7 - 10 ft long catfish rods - in a spread - like surf fishing for redfish. Quick release on your anchor on the big fish, so you can reel the spread in, drift and cover to the net - that fat btard!

Same reel, 12 to 14 ft surf rod, bull reds and big uglies - up to the world record class weights (100 lb class) with an angler, who can work within 300 yards of braid limitation with a 15lb class drag = money
        Last edited by AtTheWall; 07-31-2021, 04:19 PM.

Comment

AVET MXL single speed - magnets - is mine

Kingfish - tarpon - redfish and fat whisker kitties = with cast control / SON

ABU Frame is not anywhere near this setup and - it can roll with Mahi up to 50lbs on a 40 mph - jump and jump and jump 250 yard kind of fight, rig. The drag and pickup retrieve speed is balanced for torque. It doesn't shift gears as a single speed but, it will out fight an ABU 7000 with a solid aluminum frame/spool, to deal with everything up to 140 lbs with 600 yards of 50lb quality braid with a mono or flouro top shot.

The top shot changes from lake - small 20 lb leaders to offshore with 50 to 80 lb leaders - custom wind on leaders with bimini twist connections between change outs.

That braid setup can last years - with simple leader changes and it can cast over 100 yards on a tuned surf rod, for bull reds, red snapper, and bottom fishing structure that need a near winch type drag, for more fishing application options.
          Last edited by AtTheWall; 07-31-2021, 04:29 PM.

Comment

For catfishing i like the Garcia 5000.

Comment

Smaller setups. Slip rigs/floats/stink bait - Abu 5500’s
              Larger fish/live bait. Abu 6500-7000’s

Comment

I was thinking something along the abu 6500-7000 series I guess y’all answered my questions. Thanks

Comment

Zebco 33

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                    Zebco 33
                    at least use an 888.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
                      I was thinking something along the abu 6500-7000 series I guess y’all answered my questions. Thanks
                      Good thing about it, you can find the good Sweden made models on eBay all day long.

Comment

Those big Calcutta's would be perfect for big cat's,and double for saltwater..

Comment

I catch catfish with the same equipment I catch trout and redfish on. I might use a little heavier rod, but for the most part I use the same reels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

PVC with pool noodle on one end and some nylon string has caught my biggest ones. And works about every time

Comment

Abu 7000 for me

Comment

Working...
                              X