Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 07-14-2021, 06:44 AM   #1
H-D
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Texas
Default Awesome hunting AR calibers?

Putting together a real nice lower and not sure what caliber upper to pursue..so looking for ideas.
Main purpose would be for hunting/plinking.
Already have the below calibers so wouldn't want them or anything too close to them....
like 6.5 Grendel for example due to it being too similar to the 6.8spc.

5.56/223
300BO
6.8spc

Anything else out there I should be looking at?
I'd be hand loading for it as well so I'm not really "too" concerned with ammo availability for now.
H-D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2021, 06:50 AM   #2
Colton
Pope & Young

224 Valkyrie is what I will get when it’s time for a new upper
Colton is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2021, 07:37 AM   #3
RattlesnakeDan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Everywhere

The 224 Valkyrie is a great caliber, we have taken deer, hogs, yotes, and axis with it and it is very good at killing but it is also fun to shoot.
My new favorite is the 458 Socom, it smacks hogs so hard they just drop so it is exciting to play with and ammo isn't really any more expensive than many others more popular calibers.
RattlesnakeDan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2021, 07:40 AM   #4
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

6.5 Grendel if you want to stay mainstream calibers that you could buy factory Ammo for in a pinch

If you aren’t concerned about that mad dog weapons systems have some really interesting calibers that look great on paper at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2021, 08:09 AM   #5
Lostacresranch
Eight Point

What factory ammo in 5.56 are good to kill deer? I’m building one for my granddaughter.
Lostacresranch is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2021, 08:15 AM   #6
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young County & Anywhere A Duck Flies!

300 HAM'R by Wilson Combat
DUKFVR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2021, 08:28 AM   #7
H-D
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostacresranch View Post
What factory ammo in 5.56 are good to kill deer? I’m building one for my granddaughter.
Federal Fusion in 62gr
Old 07-14-2021, 08:33 AM   #8
Horn chaser
Ten Point

.300 Ham'r
Horn chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2021, 08:33 AM   #9
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young County & Anywhere A Duck Flies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostacresranch View Post
55 or 62 gr barnes bullet.
DUKFVR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2021, 08:34 AM   #10
Chuy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Falfurrias

I'd get build the 6.8 SPC with an ARP barrel/bolt.

I have hunted extensively with all of those calibers and the 6.8SPC is my favorite for deer and pigs. I built the 6.5 Grendel first due to ballistics "long range" but learned what the internet already told me, I wouldn't see the difference in the two in hunting range.

The 6.5 Grendel is a great shooting round and extremely accurate but the hunting capabilities seem to be where the 6.8 shines. It hits hard, has good expansion, and is very accurate. I've found it to be more forgiving if you are shooting the right ammo, It'll make a mess of a neck/head.

I like the Hornady 110 VMAX for pigs. THUMP

Last edited by Chuy; 07-14-2021 at 08:39 AM.
Chuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2021, 08:39 AM   #11
H-D
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuy View Post

I have hunted extensively with all of those calibers and the 6.8SPC is my favorite for deer and pigs. I built the 6.5 Grendel first due to ballistics "long range" but learned what the internet already told me, I wouldn't see the difference in the two in hunting range.

The 6.5 Grendel is a great shooting round and extremely accurate but the hunting capabilities seem to be where the 6.8 shines. It hits hard, has good expansion, and is very accurate. It actually can make a mess of things if you are shooting the right ammo.

Like I mentioned..already have a 6.8spc and it also happens to be a complete ARP upper.
Old 07-14-2021, 08:41 AM   #12
scott.str
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mitchell, County

I enjoy looking at new rounds and some are pretty cool. The 25/45 sharps is a great one. 458 socom is sweet if you have a suppressor that’ll handle it it would be a hog thumper and silent.

277 wolverine
270 AR is a cool one to
30 Harret is another cool one.
scott.str is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2021, 08:42 AM   #13
Chuy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Falfurrias

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-D View Post
Like I mentioned..already have a 6.8spc and it also happens to be a complete ARP upper.
Man I totally misread that! lol.

MY BAD!

I've always wanted a 243 WSSM in the AR15.
Chuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2021, 08:46 AM   #14
BLACKFINTURKEY
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Marion,Texas

450 bushmaster or 458 socom.... show stoppers
BLACKFINTURKEY is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2021, 08:56 AM   #15
RifleBowPistol
Ten Point

The 224 Valkyrie is one I want to try out at some point. I have a 458 SOCOM, that I really like. A 450 Bushmaster would not be a bad idea, nor a 350 Legend. The 458 SOCOM, is very close ballistically to a 45-70, with common lever action ammo. It actually uses the same bullets that are intended for a 45-70.

The 450 Bushmaster, is also 45 caliber, but shoots 45 caliber pistol bullets, intended for calibers like the 454 Casull, 45 Long Colt, 460 S&W.

The 350 Legend, is considered to be basically a rimless 357 Maximum. But from some of what I have found lately, it seems to be a different bore diameter than the 357. If that is true, then it's not exactly a rimless 357 Maximum. I am not 100% on bullet diameter. I was looking for bullets, and saw some listed as for calibers such as, then listed the 350 Legend and some other calibers, then right below were some bullets listed as being for 38 Special, 357 Mag., 357 Maximum. From what I understand, the powder charge/ powder capacity of the 350 Legend and the 357 Maximum is very close.

There are a bunch of other calibers, that you can get AR 15s chambered in. There are odd ball calibers like the 277 Wolverine, 25-35 Sharps. 22 Nosler, I would like to try that caliber out also. The 22 Nosler and the 224 Valkyrie are similar in size, I think similar in case capacity. The 22 Nosler was designed to shoot more common lighter 22 caliber bullets such as 50, 55 gr. bullets. More of a high velocity varmint caliber. The 224 Valkyrie was designed to shoot heavier 80 to 90 gr. bullets. It is intended for larger targets, at longer ranges than the 223/5.56 is reliable for. Using the 80 to 90 gr. bullets you have good BC numbers, so in theory, it should retain a good bit of energy down range. It could have the potential to be a good small bore deer caliber. I would not make that claim, till I saw it used a good bit.

Then there are the wildcat rounds intended for the AR15, there are a lot of them. There are or were two or three guys, cooking up wildcat AR15 calibers based off of the 6.5X47 Lapua. Those are some pretty hot little rounds for a AR15, I have one of those, called a 270AR. There was also the 7mm Valkyrie, then I think a 257 Bobcat. Those guys seemed to have backed off of cooking up calibers based off of the 6.5X57 Lapua. Because those are some pretty high pressure rounds, if you don't have a good strong, 7075 T6 or T7 billet upper and probably lower to go with it. You are going to have problems. I have noticed the guys that worked on the wildcats based off of the 6.5X47 Lapua, have been designing calibers that are a step down from what the 270 AR and 7mm Valkyrie are. I am pretty sure, they realized the guns won't last a long time at the pressures they were pushing those other calibers too, if you don't use a very good upper. So they have cooked up whole new bunch of AR calibers, that are a step up from the 6.5 Grendel and 6.8 SPC, but a step down from the 270 AR and 7mm Valkyrie.

Then there are the other versions of AR, the AR9, which you can get in 9mm and 40 S&W. Then the AR45, which you can get in 45 ACP and 10mm. I would really like to have a AR45 in 10mm, with a 16" barrel. It should be close ballistically, to 41 Mag. revolver, with around a 6" barrel. But then if the chamber is fully supported in the 9mm and 45 ACP barrels, you could load those quite a bit hotter, along with the 10mm, than you could in a auto loader handgun. The combination of longer barrel, and hotter loads, would noticeably increase the power of each caliber compared to the same caliber out of an auto loader handgun. A AR9 would be a nice plinker, could be used for hunting pigs, coyotes at closer ranges. A AR45 would be pretty nice, also.

Then lastly you have the AR10, which it seems can be chambered for most any short action caliber. That list is long. There are the common 308, 7mm-08, 6.5 Creedmoor, 6mm Creedmoor, 260 Rem., 22-250, 250 Savage, 300 Savage, 358 Win., 35 Rem., 30 Remington. Then there are the newer big bore calibers based on the 308 case, 338 Federal, 375 Raptor, 45 Raptor. Then there are the larger diameter belted magnum rounds. Such as the 6.5mm Rem. Mag, 350 Rem. Mag., 450 Marlin, then there is a 458X2", which seems to be virtually identical to the 450 Marlin. But the 450 Marlin has a wider belt, as where the 458X2", uses the common belted mag case, belt width. Then there are the many rounds based off of the Winchester short mag case. The 270 WSM, 7mm WSM, 300 WSM, 325 WSM. Then Remington had some ultra short mags, I don't remember what those are, did not know Remington made those, till I was looking for calibers for the AR10. Then there are the wildcat rounds based off of the Winchester short mag, there is a 338 WSM, 350 WSM, 375 WSM and a 458 WSM. Beyond that, there are some really big large diameter rounds that you can get a AR10 chambered for. The one I am most familiar with is the 475 Bishop, that's a pretty large stout round, and very expensive, all the way around.

There are many calibers for both the AR15 and the AR10, I left out, don't remember all that I have read about. I know I have read about a lot more than I listed, just for the AR15, such as the 300 Blackout and the 7.62X39, then there seems to be a 300 AAC. Why someone thought another short 30 caliber AR15 round was needed beyond the 300 Blackout and the 7.62X39, I don't know. There are probably some that I left out for the AR9 and the AR45, I listed the common stuff for those two.

There are ARs and calibers you can chamber them for, to do most anything you want to do. 30 years ago I never would have imagined things would be what they are today, with ARs. Years ago, you had very few choices, either a Colt AR15, with a 20" 5.56 barrel or if you had really big bucks a Colt 5.56 16" barrel M4 carbine. I saw adds in the back of gun magazines for AR10s, I think those adds were Springfield Armory adds, but I never actually saw a AR10, they were just a myth, in my mind. The Colt ARs in 5.56 were ridiculously expensive, more so, if they were anything other than the common 20" AR. So today, seeing what's available, is just insane. I never would have thought, the options and the many thousands of companies making ARs and AR parts would exist today. So enjoy the fact that Colt is not the only company making ARs, if they were the only company make ARs still, things would basically still be what they were in the 80s, I can guarantee that.
RifleBowPistol is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2021, 09:14 AM   #16
CoachS
Six Point

Hunt In: Floresville , Stockdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
I'm currently building a .450 bushmaster and I couldn't agree more.
CoachS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2021, 09:15 AM   #17
BLACKFINTURKEY
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachS View Post

I run a 10” 458 socom suppressed and it is a thumper!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-14-2021, 09:17 AM   #18
diamond10x
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kinney and Bexar counties

.50 Beowulf
diamond10x is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2021, 09:17 AM   #19
Capp35
Ten Point

Hunt In: Menard county

I have a 350 legend and really enjoy it.
You can use the same bolt and upper from a .5.56/223
Capp35 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2021, 09:17 AM   #20
TxMedic
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kimble County

.260 Rem is my next build/purchase
TxMedic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2021, 09:20 AM   #21
republicbutcher
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuy View Post

The 6.5 Grendel is a great shooting round and extremely accurate but the hunting capabilities seem to be where the 6.8 shines. It hits hard, has good expansion, and is very accurate. I've found it to be more forgiving if you are shooting the right ammo, It'll make a mess of a neck/head.

Agreed
republicbutcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2021, 03:33 PM   #22
xman59
Pope & Young

Quote:
Putting together a real nice lower and not sure what caliber upper to pursue..so looking for ideas.
Already have the below calibers so wouldn't want them or anything too close to them....

5.56/223
300BO
6.8spc

I'd be hand loading for it as well so I'm not really "too" concerned with ammo availability for now.
458 socom,,, nothing but awesome!
xman59 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2021, 10:29 PM   #23
WTJim
Ten Point

300 Ham’r
WTJim is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2021, 10:58 PM   #24
Black Ice
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jefferson & Brooks County

Quote:

5.56/223
300BO
6.8spc

I have a Falkor .300 win mag and it’s probably my favorite hunting AR.

Black Ice is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2021, 11:11 PM   #25
bloodtrail18
Eight Point

Hunt In: Uvalde, Tx

I have a couple ARs in 25-45 Sharps. One rifle has the 20in barrel and pushes an 87 hot-cor right at 2900fps. The other rifle is one I built for my 9 year old son with a 16in barrel, it pushes the same pill at 2750fps. If you reload its a great cartridge that's easy and cheap to make. I've been impressed with the performance on game as well, we've killed a pile of critters with them over the years without much fuss.
bloodtrail18 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2021, 05:22 AM   #26
BLACKFINTURKEY
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxMedic View Post
.260 Rem is my next build/purchase
In my opinion I’d go with the creedmore if I had to do it again. I have a 24” 260 AR10 and just never could get the velocity I hoped for.

With that being said I have killed out to 650 and rang steel at 1400 with it. I absolutely love .260 just doesn’t work that great In a gas gun imo. 7.5 creed will get the same velocity with a shorter case that allows you to play with seating depth more.
Old 07-15-2021, 05:27 AM   #27
chrisk
Ten Point

I always suggest the .450 Bushmaster
chrisk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2021, 06:07 AM   #28
masonred
Six Point

+ .350 Legend
As stated above it isn't .357 diameter, ammo is reasonably priced. It's a pleasure to shoot and will work for deer, haven't taken any other animals with mine.
masonred is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2021, 06:38 AM   #29
Easttxbowman
Ten Point

For plinking and hunting at moderate ranges I don't don't think you can beat the 7.62x39. Problem is they are finiky, until you get it right between hammer springs, enhanced firing pins, and mags.
Dirt cheap steel case fmj for fun and either brass case or steel case soft points for hunting.
Easttxbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2021, 07:13 AM   #30
Capp35
Ten Point

Hunt In: Menard county

Quote:
Originally Posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
The 350 Legend, is considered to be basically a rimless 357 Maximum. But from some of what I have found lately, it seems to be a different bore diameter than the 357. If that is true, then it's not exactly a rimless 357 Maximum. I am not 100% on bullet diameter. I was looking for bullets, and saw some listed as for calibers such as, then listed the 350 Legend and some other calibers, then right below were some bullets listed as being for 38 Special, 357 Mag., 357 Maximum. From what I understand, the powder charge/ powder capacity of the 350 Legend and the 357 Maximum is very close.
I don't hand load, but use the Hornady 170gr InterLock. Has a lot of energy and expansion. I have not tried it hunting passed 100 yards (use it in a tree stand) but think it has potential to probably 300 yards with factory ammo.
Capp35 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2021, 04:37 PM   #31
BowCrazy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Karnack Tx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easttxbowman View Post
For plinking and hunting at moderate ranges I don't don't think you can beat the 7.62x39. Problem is they are finiky, until you get it right between hammer springs, enhanced firing pins, and mags.
Dirt cheap steel case fmj for fun and either brass case or steel case soft points for hunting.
This! Cheap and you can get it almost anywhere.
BowCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2021, 08:33 AM   #32
MC68
Nubbin' Buck

300 HAR’R will do it all.
450 Bushmaster is very fun to shoot and great on hogs.
350 Legend is also a good hunting round.
MC68 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2021, 09:10 AM   #33
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

There must be some reason the military is going to 6.8 SPC. I think it's called stopping power.
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2021, 09:30 AM   #34
DFWPI
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jack/Young County

I hope the 6mm ARC is one of them.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
DFWPI is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2021, 10:14 AM   #35
Mike D
Pope & Young

Default Awesome hunting AR calibers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzlebrake View Post
There must be some reason the military is going to 6.8 SPC. I think it's called stopping power.

I know the government takes forever on anything but they’ve been “going to the 6.8” for years.

Last edited by Mike D; 07-17-2021 at 10:41 AM.
Old 07-17-2021, 11:24 AM   #36
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
I know the government takes forever on anything but they’ve been “going to the 6.8” for years.

Looks like they are serious about it. Special forces are rumored to already be using it in places. https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...mmo-to-us-army
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 12:36 PM   #37
H-D
Ten Point

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachS View Post
Quote:
I run a 10” 458 socom suppressed and it is a thumper!
Quote:
Originally Posted by xman59 View Post
458 socom,,, nothing but awesome!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
I always suggest the .450 Bushmaster
Decided to go with the 458 Socom. Ordered an upper kit from Wilson Combat.
Got dies, brass, powder and primers...just waiting on projectiles to come back into stock everywhere.
Wanting the 300gr Barnes TTSX.

Thanks for all the comments fellas!
Old 07-30-2021, 01:42 PM   #38
BLACKFINTURKEY
Pope & Young

Quote:
Got dies, brass, powder and primers...just waiting on projectiles to come back into stock everywhere.

Get you some Berry’s plated bullets cheap for plinking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-30-2021, 09:53 PM   #39
Mike D
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzlebrake View Post
Looks like they are serious about it. Special forces are rumored to already be using it in places. https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...mmo-to-us-army

I know some special forces groups have been using it. I don’t see it replacing the 5.56 for general troop use.

Old 07-31-2021, 10:33 AM   #40
xman59
Pope & Young

Quote:

your going to love it! it's the semi auto version of a 45-70!
xman59 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2021, 10:58 AM   #41
TexasRough1256
Ten Point

Hunt In: Centerville, SE TX

What’s everyone’s take on hunting with the 7.62x39?? It has been a awesome performer on hogs for us and ammo is cheap when you want to plink some steel
TexasRough1256 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2021, 02:18 AM   #42
DFWPI
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jack/Young County

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRough1256 View Post
What’s everyone’s take on hunting with the 7.62x39?? It has been a awesome performer on hogs for us and ammo is cheap when you want to plink some steel
I like it. Thinking of getting an upper again.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
DFWPI is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2021, 02:29 PM   #43
texan4ut
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where I can, Johnson Cty

I have a AR in the 7.62x39. Its my hog gun and it packs a punch. Mine real accurate with just about any ammo including cheap steel case stuff. Fun to shoot too.
texan4ut is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2021, 08:02 PM   #44
MONSTERKEN
Ten Point

Hunt In: Apparently where the deer ARE NOT

x2 on the .50 Beowulf. Just devastating on anything that stands in its way.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk
MONSTERKEN is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top