Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-13-2021, 04:07 PM   #1
Katsaregood
Six Point

Default Thread about church

This ISNíT about bashing or saying one religion is better than another. What it is about is just an observation. I was invited to a church that believes you canít get into Heaven without being baptized in their presence. They are so focused on baptizing that theyíll stop the church service to hurry and dunk people. Ok, so thatís their beliefs and I didnít go there to judge or anything else. What is bothersome is how they are so forceful about it and will pressure kids unaccompanied by parents. I donít like that at all. Thatís something that should be done only with the parents being present and not forcing a kid. The entire congregation will put pressure on newcomers and act like their church is the gate to Heaven. There shouldnít be this forcefulness going on at all. In my opinion, thatís one way to cause people to not want anything to do with that church. Thatís the first church Iíve been to like that and needless to say, I wonít be going back to that one.
Katsaregood is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2021, 04:10 PM   #2
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

What Church?
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2021, 04:13 PM   #3
Katsaregood
Six Point

It’s an Apostolic in another state.
Katsaregood is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2021, 04:18 PM   #4
4Christ
Four Point

Hunt In: De Queen, AR

Yeah, that is wrong and focused more on an action than on Jesus. As baptism is not a requirement for salvation, simply ask the guy next to Jesus on the cross, he didn't have an opportunity to be baptized. Sounds like a church that is focused on works and not on the gospel. Much less forcing people to do it in "their presence", that's self riteous. I also don't agree with forcing kids to do that without their parents present, that is something that should be shared with family as a celebration not a requirement.

Not going back there would be wise...

Also, it's not judgement to call out a church for their bull****. Call it like you see it if it doesn't align with the gospel.
4Christ is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2021, 04:33 PM   #5
BassMaster13
Six Point

Hunt In: SETX, WTX

If the snakes bite you, you're going to He11!
BassMaster13 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2021, 04:40 PM   #6
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Pow Pow!

I'm more concerned on why Earl Campbell's Hot Links only have 5 links per package.

Everything should be in even quantities.
Traildust is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2021, 04:54 PM   #7
MadHatter
Pope & Young

Pretty normal from all that I've seen.
Some think it requires 2 works of grace, some think you gotta speak in tongues, some baptism, some think communion is a requirement, etc..etc..
These things are the downfall of religion imo.
The Bible can be interpreted any way imaginable, and is.
MadHatter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2021, 05:00 PM   #8
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx

Yeah that why (in my opinion) all the new big non-denomination churches are popping up everywhere... and doing quite well. Pulling in all the younger family's that are a little more open minded.
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2021, 05:36 PM   #9
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Del Rio, Eldorado, Bon Wier

Sounds more like a cult than a church.
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2021, 05:44 PM   #10
riverbowman
Ten Point

Baptism debate aside.... can't be baptized outside their presence. Say what? They will baptize a kid in a hurry without their parents present. Hard to fathom short of parents giving permission or something.
riverbowman is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2021, 05:57 PM   #11
Blitz
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Christ View Post
Yeah, that is wrong and focused more on an action than on Jesus. As baptism is not a requirement for salvation, simply ask the guy next to Jesus on the cross, he didn't have an opportunity to be baptized. Sounds like a church that is focused on works and not on the gospel. Much less forcing people to do it in "their presence", that's self riteous. I also don't agree with forcing kids to do that without their parents present, that is something that should be shared with family as a celebration not a requirement.

Not going back there would be wise...

Also, it's not judgement to call out a church for their bull****. Call it like you see it if it doesn't align with the gospel.
He wasn't baptised because the Testator was still alive. His instructions that he left to his disciples were followed precisely. Peter even answered the question as to what a person must do to be saved. Acts 2:38

Think of if like this. As long as I am alive, I can give instructions as to what is to be done in realtime. The second I pass away, my will takes over as to what must be done.
Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2021, 06:00 PM   #12
Scubasteveo
Eight Point

Hunt In: Kennard,anywhere else I can mooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerCollector View Post
Yep!
Scubasteveo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2021, 06:36 PM   #13
Leon County Slayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Camo (Leon County) - Knifemaker<><

Valid observation. I don’t see a question so I’ll just post and acknowledge the observation.
Leon County Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2021, 06:39 PM   #14
RattlesnakeDan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Everywhere

There is nothing new under the sun. Jesus healed a blind man with his words and another with spit and mud. They probably went off and started 2 different churches which vehemently opposed each other. lol Ahhh, the fallen fleshly man that we are.
John the "baptist" said "I baptize you with water for repentance but One is coming that will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire!
RattlesnakeDan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2021, 06:51 PM   #15
RedBear78
Six Point

Hunt In: Warren,Sourlake,Angelina forest

Sounds like there a little over zealous.There are no records of children or spiritual uneducated people getting baptized in the Bible.Jesus was around 30 when he was baptized.Baptism is a public expression of a personal dedication to God,you can dunk or pour all the water you want on some one and if the spiritual understanding or dedication is not there all you have is a wet person.I applaud spiritual zeal but let’s do things by the BOOK I mean it does give examples and instructions for us to follow.Acording to 1Corinthians 7:14 minor children are covered by the spiritual stand of their parents until they are old enough to be accountable for themselves.
RedBear78 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2021, 06:53 PM   #16
rvd
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsaregood View Post
This ISNíT about bashing or saying one religion is better than another. What it is about is just an observation. I was invited to a church that believes you canít get into Heaven without being baptized in their presence. They are so focused on baptizing that theyíll stop the church service to hurry and dunk people. Ok, so thatís their beliefs and I didnít go there to judge or anything else. What is bothersome is how they are so forceful about it and will pressure kids unaccompanied by parents. I donít like that at all. Thatís something that should be done only with the parents being present and not forcing a kid. The entire congregation will put pressure on newcomers and act like their church is the gate to Heaven. There shouldnít be this forcefulness going on at all. In my opinion, thatís one way to cause people to not want anything to do with that church. Thatís the first church Iíve been to like that and needless to say, I wonít be going back to that one.
Not in scripture and IMO straight bs, keep on walking.
rvd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2021, 09:08 PM   #17
Hooverfb
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvd View Post
Not in scripture and IMO straight bs, keep on walking.
X2
Hooverfb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2021, 08:40 AM   #18
PoppinPiggies
Six Point

Hunt In: Clay County

Nothing should be forced on anyone, the decision to become a Christian is supposed to be all about Free Will and understanding the enormity of the decision that is being made. That being said I do believe baptism is a necessary step towards salvation.
- Matthew 28:19 "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,"
Jesus called for his disciples to be baptized
- Acts 3:38 "Then Peter said to them, Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit."
Baptism washes you clean of your sins
- 1 Peter 3:20-21 "who formerly were disobedient, when once the Divine longsuffering waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was being prepared, in which a few, that is, eight souls, were saved through water. There is also an antitype which now saves us—baptism (not the removal of the filth of the flesh, abut the answer of a good conscience toward God), through the resurrection of Jesus Christ,"
Baptism into Christ saves us
-Mark 16:16 "He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned."
Baptism coupled with belief leads to salvation

All that being said I am not condoning the church you have referenced it sounds like they are taking things to far. True baptism shouldn't be and can't be forced, it has to be the result of oneself deciding to give their lives to Christ whether their family agrees with it or not. Baptism isn't about congregational membership, it isn't about peer pressure, it's about joining THE CHURCH aka Christ's body and accepting your ticket to eternity with him in heaven.
PoppinPiggies is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2021, 09:48 AM   #19
Hunteraudit
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas

-Romans 10:9 “that it you confess in your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.”

I’m not sure I’d God requires baptism or not, but I took the dunk after receiving my salvation. I like to cover my bases.

Related to the OP… yeah that’s some weird stuff.
Hunteraudit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2021, 09:48 AM   #20
WItoTX
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana, Idaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerCollector View Post
I was gonna say, Jim Jones operated in a similar fashion...
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2021, 10:03 AM   #21
locolobo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Somewhere in TX

A person should be old enough and wise enough to understand just what baptism means and is rational enough to accept the conditions set forth in the Bible. Someone who has been bribed, pressured or not of age or sound mind does not have the knowledge to accept Christ as their saviour. And anyone who is in their right mind and who wholeheartedly accepts Christ and begs forgiveness for their sins are forgiven. Just my thoughts
locolobo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top