Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 09-24-2021, 06:35 PM   #1
DocHolliday
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brady
Default UPS Store won't ship a scope?!

Has anyone else even been denied the ability to ship a riflescope?

UPS store refused to ship it, and then they kicked me out when I asked to see the rules and asked for the manager. Admittedly, I was pretty ****** off at that point.

What is this world coming to??

Yes, I know the store is a franchise and won't take ammo, but a scope? Unbelievable.

Sorry, I don't usually rant, this is just crazy!
DocHolliday is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2021, 06:39 PM   #2
68rustbucket
Four Point

Hunt In: McMullen County

Bummer!
68rustbucket is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2021, 06:40 PM   #3
BLACKFINTURKEY
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Marion,Texas

I just used them to ship some rifle barrels told them the were pieces of pipe.

Someone told me about a service called pirate ship and you create an account shipped through ups, itís supposed to be much cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BLACKFINTURKEY is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2021, 06:43 PM   #4
ctom87
Ten Point

Hunt In: Searching.

Go back tomorrow and if its a different person, you are shipping a magnifying glass.

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk
ctom87 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2021, 06:43 PM   #5
DocHolliday
Ten Point

apparently, google says I'm not the only one, it even brought up an old TBH threw from a couple years ago,

Still completely shocked.
Old 09-24-2021, 06:43 PM   #6
BLACKFINTURKEY
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Marion,Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctom87 View Post
Go back tomorrow and if its a different person, you are shipping a magnifying glass.

Thatís right

BLACKFINTURKEY is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2021, 06:43 PM   #7
Chew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon County

Telescope!
Chew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2021, 06:44 PM   #8
DocHolliday
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctom87 View Post

yea, I've even shipped scopes from this same store before, but I had this one in the factory box, I should have known better
Old 09-24-2021, 06:45 PM   #9
Bryan11
Eight Point

Hunt In: Robertson & Limestone Co

I tried to ship an extra magazine and the grip modules for a glock once and i had them fairly wrapped up. She kept asking me what they were and i just referred to them as "parts" and she kept asking if they were gun parts. I eventually walked out based on the cost of what they were asking to ship, but i got the feeling they would have asked me to leave anyway if they knew what it was.
Bryan11 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2021, 06:46 PM   #10
ctom87
Ten Point

Hunt In: Searching.

Better yet - someone is going to be a futuristic pirate for Halloween and this is a nautical telescope from the future. I dunno. I am kinda shocked they even knew what it is. Must play Call of Duty when they get off work.

ctom87 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2021, 06:59 PM   #11
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee, Rusk Counties

Depends on which numbskull is behind the counter. I shipped two handguns a week apart, told both of the clerks the same thing. I paid $87 to ship one, and less than $20 to ship the other one FARTHER. Same amount of insurance. On a scope I just wouldn’t tell them what it was. Kinda scared to ship a firearm that way lest it gets lost.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2021, 07:09 PM   #12
tdwinklr
Ten Point

Hunt In: N. Central and N. East TX

Why do they need to know? Are you taking it up there in its original box?
tdwinklr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2021, 07:13 PM   #13
justletmein
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Public lands

They charge way too dang much anyway, better off shipping some other way. Having said that, for other reasons I'd send in a complaint and try to have somebody at the store retrained.
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2021, 07:22 PM   #14
STX_Shooter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Starr County

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post

UPS store refused to ship it, and then they kicked me out when I asked to see the rules and asked for the manager. Admittedly, I was pretty ****** off at that point.

Yes, I know the store is a franchise and won't take ammo, but a scope? Unbelievable.

Same thing happened to me! I was packaging the scope inside the store and she saw it, she said ďis that for a gunĒ I said yes itís a scope then she started walking backwards as if I was holding her up. It freaked me out she was literally terrified of me lol. I got told they wonít ship it. I went to USPS instead.
STX_Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2021, 07:31 PM   #15
Buckshot4900
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas/Mississippi

Put it in a USPS PRIORITY box and send it. The answer is NO to anything they ask you at the counter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Buckshot4900 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2021, 07:33 PM   #16
justletmein
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Public lands

Not to pimp the USPS, but if yall do priority mail they'll give you free boxes and pick it up from your doorstep free of charge.
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2021, 07:34 PM   #17
scott123456789
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lone Camp, TX

Quote:

Assuming you were in Hudson oaks they wouldnít let me either. Anything ďgun relatedĒ
scott123456789 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2021, 07:35 PM   #18
DocHolliday
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by STX_Shooter View Post
Same thing happened to me! I was packaging the scope inside the store and she saw it, she said ďis that for a gunĒ I said yes itís a scope then she started walking backwards as if I was holding her up. It freaked me out she was literally terrified of me lol. I got told they wonít ship it. I went to USPS instead.

LOL!!

About to the same,
I did whip it out and state it's a freaking telescope, and start looking through it.

The said, "it attaches to a gun"
and I said, "so does my finger"

If I had any comedic talent, I would have thought to show them my one finger wave at the same time. I was already being told to leave.
Old 09-24-2021, 07:52 PM   #19
retrieverman
Eight Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma

I’ve never had a problem shipping anything, but then again, I ship a lot of “machined parts”.
retrieverman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2021, 08:02 PM   #20
austinRecurve
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Alaska

Strange....MidwayUSA ships ammo through UPS.
austinRecurve is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2021, 08:11 PM   #21
lglidewell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Burleson County

That’s odd, UPS just delivered some ammo to me this week from Alexander Arms!!
lglidewell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2021, 08:14 PM   #22
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: My Truck at night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chew View Post
Telescope!
Let me guess, for viewing Uranus?
Hoggslayer is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2021, 08:14 PM   #23
kingranch
Ten Point

Just print label at-home and drop off to them easy problem solved
kingranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2021, 08:17 PM   #24
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young County & Anywhere A Duck Flies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinRecurve View Post
Strange....MidwayUSA ships ammo through UPS.
Thats UPS. ups store is not the same. They are independently owned.
DUKFVR is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2021, 08:46 PM   #25
Briar Friar
Pope & Young

Quote:
LOL!!

About to the same,
I did whip it out and state it's a freaking telescope, and start looking through it.

The said, "it attaches to a gun"
and I said, "so does my finger"

If I had any comedic talent, I would have thought to show them my one finger wave at the same time. I was already being told to leave.
Your killin me Doc! Fíem.
Briar Friar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2021, 08:59 PM   #26
1riot1ranger
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie County

Ha. don't even think about perfume. I had some shipped to me, opened the box to add a note, boxed it up exactly as it came to forward it and they said nope. You can't ship that without a license! I will not answer any further questions
1riot1ranger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2021, 09:04 PM   #27
donpablo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Iraan, Culberson County & Public Land

I shipped some ammo from the UPS store once but I didn’t read any of the stuff that I signed off about what it did not contain.
donpablo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2021, 09:09 PM   #28
deerwatcher51
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Richland Springs & Washington on the Brazos

I needed to send a rifle pdq a few years ago and after much begging, it was shipped as machine parts. It did not hurt that I knew the owner of the franchise.
deerwatcher51 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2021, 09:09 PM   #29
RifleBowPistol
Ten Point

I found a long time ago, that many of the UPS stores, are owned by very liberal individuals and or run by very liberal individuals. I have had all types of problems with UPS Store locations. Including refusing to ship ammo, many times deciding that they would not insure some expensive parts, because I packaged the parts myself. They insisted they had to package the parts. Their idea of packaging stuff, is throw it in the largest box possible, then throw the parts in the box, and dump the foam peanuts on top.

Many times I have shipped car parts, many of those times the parts were transmission or rear end gears. Gears are very hard, and will chip, easily, if they bang against each other. The manufactures of transmission gears, will wrap each of the gears, individually in paper, then tape the paper, so the gears can not slip out of the paper, they are wrapped in. Then they pack a lot of paper in the box to keep all of the gears from moving around and possibly banging against each other.
This is basically how I package gears, but I use Gorilla tape, instead of masking tape and a lot of it around the outside of the paper each gear is wrapped in. Then pack a lot of paper in the box, between the gears. This is the best way to ship transmission gear. Then I use boxes made of heavy duty cardboard or I reinforce the box. Then I will usually wrap the box completely in Gorilla tape to reduce the chance a gear will make a hole in the box and get lost. I have had it happen years ago, not any fun to talk to the women, in the various hubs, trying to make them understand what a ring gear looks like. So I do everything within reason, to make sure the parts don't punch a hole in the box and get lost.

I can go to a UPS Store, they will refuse to insure the parts, unless they can see how the parts are packaged. So I have to open the box up and show them. I have to cut the Gorilla tape off, to open the box, so it should be rewapped, but that does not happen. Every time, they decide I did a bad job of packaging the parts, so the only way they will insure the parts, is if I let them package the parts. How do they package the parts. They find the largest box possible, that is not made of anywhere near as strong of cardboard as I used, not reinforced like I do. Then they remove every gear from the paper and Gorilla tape, toss them in the bottom of the oversized box. Then dump a bunch of peanuts on top of the gears. So the gears will definitely be banging against each other, the whole trip, that's if they don't punch a hole in the side of the box and get lost.

So what should cost me about $45 to $50 in shipping turns into about $195 in shipping and packaging. Then if you try to file a claim on that package they repackaged, and charged me a ton to ship. It will get denied.

UPS Stores are a joke, the employees obviously have been taught how to make the store as much money as possible. With no care for the pieces they are supposed to be trying to safely ship. The reason you go to them to begin with, to safely ship packages. They have long lost touch with reality. Like most of the rest of the country.
One other thing I have had them pull. Once they decide, your packaging is not good enough, which is complete crap, my packaging is a lot better than theirs. Then when I find out how they plan to package the parts, and I decline to let them do that to my parts, because of the high probability they will get damaged or punch through the side of the box. Then they refuse to ship the package at all, even without shipping, unless I let them stick it to me and my parts.

They won't ship ammo, they won't ship guns, they won't do this or that. The less they know the better your package is. Do a very good job of packaging the items, then don't ask for any extra insurance. Just ship it, that's your best bet, if they are the most practical shipping company, to deal with, as far as location.

Turns out I am not that far from a main UPS hub, so I just go there now, it costs less to ship it through them and they don't play all the stupid upsell games and push their liberal BS on you. Then some liberal drama queen, try to make a scene in the store, hoping to make you look bad and them selves look good to any other liberal idiots in the store. Which in New Braunfels, would likely be most every other person in the store.

The location in New Braunfels, I quit going into about 15 years ago, because the manager was a Biotch, liberal drama queen, who like to upsell to extremes. I bypass her BS and just go to the main hub, ship parts with no problems, a lot cheaper than dealing with her crap.

Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 09-24-2021 at 09:35 PM.
RifleBowPistol is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2021, 09:13 PM   #30
Buckshot4900
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas/Mississippi

The UPS stores are independently owned and itís all about profit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Buckshot4900 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2021, 09:26 PM   #31
QuackHunter
Ten Point

Just pack them in your own box and go back in.

QuackHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2021, 10:40 PM   #32
SabineHunter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoggslayer View Post
Let me guess, for viewing Uranus?
Why would you want to look at his anus?
SabineHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 01:10 AM   #33
STX_Shooter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Starr County

A UPS store made me jump through hopes to get a refund for a lost item asking for pictures of the item before I packaged it and after I packaged it. By chance I had pics of both, the buyer was a weird guy so I wanted to cover my bases. Sure enough I sent them everything they wanted and I still haven’t received my refund after almost 3 months.
STX_Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 06:50 AM   #34
SaintBlaise
Eight Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings, TX

Go back to UPS and try again, film it but be the nicest guy in the world. Then post it on social media and send it to the local news station siting discrimination.

Don’t be honest with those jerks when you go there to drop of anything hunting.

FYI, you can set up an account with UPS or FedEx for free and print your own labels. Then there are NO questions when you drop off your package.
SaintBlaise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 06:55 AM   #35
HoustonHunter94
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by STX_Shooter View Post
A UPS store made me jump through hopes to get a refund for a lost item asking for pictures of the item before I packaged it and after I packaged it. By chance I had pics of both, the buyer was a weird guy so I wanted to cover my bases. Sure enough I sent them everything they wanted and I still havenít received my refund after almost 3 months.

Good luck. Iím dealing with USPS on an issue where I paid premium for overnight shipping of iPhone to my Mom from San Antonio to Tulsa. 8 days later it arrived, looked like it had been ran over and opened and taped back up.

I will say Iím fed up with UPS as well. Tried to ship some ammo, followed directions, printed the little signal they wanted taped to the box and the beta boy in the store acted like I brought in a live bomb.

To OP, sorry you dealt with that. I agree with the others, box up, says itís a magnifying glass and go on.

HoustonHunter94 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 07:17 AM   #36
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5

I despise fudex and usually take my chances with UPS and USPS.

For all of you who feel the same about UPS or USPS who do you use?
BTLowry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 04:34 PM   #37
Voodoo
Eight Point

Hunt In: Highway Medians

Walk up to the door later this evening wearing a hoodie, mask, and sunglasses and fill the lock full of superglue gel.
Voodoo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 04:41 PM   #38
one66stang
Ten Point

Hunt In: Big Lake , Tx

Everything I ship at UPS is machine parts, regardless of what it is
one66stang is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 04:50 PM   #39
bmac
Ten Point

Hunt In: Robertson Co. & TPWD

Shipped a scope a few months back with UPS. Told them what it was and didnít have issue but she did ask a few times to verify it wasnít a firearm.

bmac is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 05:00 PM   #40
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

I only ship Dikfurs and Henways thru UPS.
J/K
I hate UPS. Slower than a snail and that's only it it doesn't get lost or stolen.
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 05:37 PM   #41
andre3k
Four Point

Print label at home and package it yourself. Drop it off at the ups store and walk away.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
andre3k is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 05:46 PM   #42
DocHolliday
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre3k View Post
Print label at home and package it yourself. Drop it off at the ups store and walk away.

I should do this, and the UPS delivery guy is awesome, always happy to bring me ammo.

I've just never created an account online, surely it can be hard. Do you just measure the box, and I assume they ask for a weight?

I will say the distribution center in Granbury has always been easy. No issue shipping ammo or a rifle there, it's just a good bit further for me.
Old Yesterday, 09:05 PM   #43
andre3k
Four Point

Quote:
I should do this, and the UPS delivery guy is awesome, always happy to bring me ammo.

I've just never created an account online, surely it can be hard. Do you just measure the box, and I assume they ask for a weight?

I will say the distribution center in Granbury has always been easy. No issue shipping ammo or a rifle there, it's just a good bit further for me.
Yes. Create an account. They have coupon codes from time to time for discounts on the website that you won't get in store. Use a scale to weigh and just measure the package. Pay and then print out the label. UPS will pickup or drop it off at UPS store or an independent pack and ship place. I've shipped hundreds of firearm related items this way without a single issue.

andre3k is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 09:07 PM   #44
sharkhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In the woods

Don’t tell them what exactly it is. I always say machined parts.
sharkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 10:21 PM   #45
Deadfall65
Eight Point

Hunt In: Iím looking

I ran into the same thing with fedex a few years ago. Havenít had any issues at my local UPS store.

Deadfall65 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top