Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old Yesterday, 11:11 AM   #1
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County
Default 10mm vs 45 ACP

After watching this video I still can't figure out why I still want me a 10mm. Maybe because I have never had one.??????????

https://youtu.be/iBkjdutVmFA

BTW, Glock is not in my vocabulary.
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 12:15 PM   #2
meangreen04
Eight Point

Good video. Thanks for sharing. Iíll stick to good olí .45
meangreen04 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 01:51 PM   #3
txpitdog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fairfield

I don’t consider 10mm necessary or the best choice for self defense. To me it is more of a hunting power caliber. Generally as far as power, I think the 45 benefitted more from modern powders and projectiles than the 10mm, but the 10 benefits more from a longer barrel and heavier bullets. Also, self defense ammo is designed to achieve a specific depth of penetration, which is why 9, 40, 45, 10mm, 357sig, 357mag, 38sp all penetrate gelatin to 11-12 inches. Crank each one up to its full power and use a hard cast, a jacketed soft point, a hollow point, etc and then you’ll see wider variation in how they compare to each other.

I like the Glock 40 with the longer barrel.
txpitdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 01:57 PM   #4
okrattler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma

I don't wanna get shot with either one. If you live I bet they both hurt equally.
okrattler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 02:01 PM   #5
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee, Rusk Counties

I’m a bigger is usually better guy, but the .45 ACP is anemic compared to a 10mm if you’re talking about penetration. If you’re talking about frontal area, the .45 gains some ground IMO. Like the Rattler said, I don’t want either one pointed in my direction.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 02:16 PM   #6
Leon County Slayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Camo (Leon County) - Knifemaker<><

Good vid. Looks like 45 for price and availability. I’ve been looking at this recently too so it was a timely post, thanks.
Leon County Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 02:46 PM   #7
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hall County

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpitdog View Post
I donít consider 10mm necessary or the best choice for self defense. To me it is more of a hunting power caliber. Generally as far as power, I think the 45 benefitted more from modern powders and projectiles than the 10mm, but the 10 benefits more from a longer barrel and heavier bullets. Also, self defense ammo is designed to achieve a specific depth of penetration, which is why 9, 40, 45, 10mm, 357sig, 357mag, 38sp all penetrate gelatin to 11-12 inches. Crank each one up to its full power and use a hard cast, a jacketed soft point, a hollow point, etc and then youíll see wider variation in how they compare to each other.

I like the Glock 40 with the longer barrel.
Very well said. Most 10mm loads arenít remotely close to its potential. Thereís not a lot of different in most factory 10mm and 45 performance wise. Hand loads or some warm Buffalo Bore or Corbon loads are another story.
TX03RUBI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 05:06 PM   #8
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

No doubt my 45 super handloads are hotter than standard 10mm store bought in the 185 to 230 gr bullet weights. I think where the 10mm shines is with 155 gr pills pushing 1600 fps but if I need that sort of speed and power I have my 41 rem mag that clocks around that with 265 gr gas checked bullets.
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 05:36 PM   #9
WCB
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise/Montague/Grayson

I have several 45s and one 10mm. The ten with full power loads are the shiznit!! I mainly run Underwood full power 10mm in several different loads. I curently have the 150 HP, the 180 HP and the 220 gr hardcast. My 1911 loves them all. The 150 is a screamer for sure and the 180 won't stop for heavy winter coats so It's a better self defense and the 200/220 hard cast for hunting will knock a ****** in the dirt.

Now, I "need" a Glock 40 MOS...
WCB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 06:38 PM   #10
Buck Slayer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Refugio, Tx

Very nice, have always been curious on the .45 vs 10mm debate... i still want a 10mm
Buck Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top