Red dot on EDC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Arrowthreat View Post
    I guess I'm going to stir the pot a little bit here...

One of my best friends is currently in a high speed unit that I'm not going to name. We were just having this conversation the other day. They did a ton of testing and brought in a lot of real world experience before they switched over. They run Glock 19's with Trijicon MRO's on all of their secondary's now. They know a lot more than the key board warriors do on a bow hunting website.

However, Personally I don't run one. I shoot IDPA Stock service pistol class, so I'm just used to running my Trijicon HD iron sights.
    Why would posting an opinion that agrees with a majority of the thread be considered stirring the pot?

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
      That’s the exact setup I’m running. 48 MOS with Overwatch trigger and connector with a 507K on top running S15 mags.
      I’ve actually got a second MOS I may order another 507K for today.
      One for each hand?

Comment

I would only use one that has a rear sight added to the back to cowitness with your front sight post. In my opinion, the only one that does that that is worth the money is holosun. I keep hoping Trijicon wakes up and adds it to their rmr.

Comment

Originally posted by QuackHunter View Post
          No reason not to, I run one on my EDC and love it. The ifs ans or buts about them not working really isn’t valid if you take care of your stuff and change batteries timely. Like changing oil in your truck it’s just maintenance. To me pistol optics are faster than irons, but like with either you need to properly train to be proficient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of my best friends is currently in a high speed unit that I'm not going to name. We were just having this conversation the other day. They did a ton of testing and brought in a lot of real world experience before they switched over. They run Glock 19's with Trijicon MRO's on all of their secondary's now. They know a lot more than the key board warriors do on a bow hunting website.

However, Personally I don't run one. I shoot IDPA Stock service pistol class, so I'm just used to running my Trijicon HD iron sights.
          Here is the thing the most Joe Carry folks are not going to keep up with the batteries. They aren't going to remember to check the optic once a week, or swap batteries every 6 months or whatever the case maybe. Someone that shoots weekly or daily sure might be a good fit. Or a high speed as you say unit yeah they are going to keep their gear in good shape and charged or batteries in it. But Joe Public will not, and Joe Public is more likely to run out of batteries than he is to have any issues with his iron sites getting messed up. That's why I don't like them on a carry gun and will not suggest them.

Comment

I've been shooting alot with a 22lr handgun that has a RDS. Getting on target is way faster. Sending my EDC to get the slide milled for a RMR.

Get a good light before you get a RDS. A light on your carry gun is essential.

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
              Here is the thing the most Joe Carry folks are not going to keep up with the batteries. They aren't going to remember to check the optic once a week, or swap batteries every 6 months or whatever the case maybe. Someone that shoots weekly or daily sure might be a good fit. Or a high speed as you say unit yeah they are going to keep their gear in good shape and charged or batteries in it. But Joe Public will not, and Joe Public is more likely to run out of batteries than he is to have any issues with his iron sites getting messed up. That's why I don't like them on a carry gun and will not suggest them.
              It's no different then having a dot on your rifle. Change the batteries once a year on your birthday and you'll likely never have to worry about batteries. If someone isn't willing to do something that simple then I agree with you. Maybe it isn't for them.

Comment

Non issue if the dot fails or battery is dead in most cases.The irons are still present in most cases (not all). Then they’re in the same situation as if they didn’t have a dot.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                  Non issue if the dot fails or battery is dead in most cases.The irons are still present in most cases (not all). Then they’re in the same situation as if they didn’t have a dot.
                  Not to mention it's easy to make hits by centering the target in the window.

Comment

It’s just part of proper gear and gun maintenance. Keep stuff on hand you may need, and if you carry you should be handling your gun everyday and at least dry firing once a week if not every day. I think there is a lot of resistance to the change that’s unwarranted. People don’t like change and I get that, but it’s not something that adds this mystical 5th dimension. They’re simple and easy to maintain, and for the most part built pretty dang tough and you can still superimpose the dot wherever you’re aiming if the lens becomes obstructed.

Comment

That's an awful big optic to be mounting to a Glock 19... More likely they use the Trijicon RMR.

We beat this horse to death a while back (Irons vs dots) and for a strictly carry for self defense purpose, I'm in the iron sight camp. Now if you carry while riding the ranch or have a multi use pistol there's no reason not to have a dot.

I shoot USPSA in both the Open division (dots) and the limited division (no dots). I've tested myself on the clock to see which pistol I could draw and fire the fastest on a target at 7 yards and get an A zone hit and my iron sight gun wins nearly every time. The reason for that is the irons act as a reference point to get lined up and get a shot off quickly. With a dot if you don't get a good grip on the draw it will take a fraction of a second longer to find the dot and get it on target. Where the dot really shines (pun intended) is for follow up shots, every shot after the first from the draw will be much slower when having to line up the iron sights vs moving the dot back to POA.

In a situation where I would need to use my CCW the most important shot will be the first shot after drawing from the holster. In that situation stress level will be through the roof and the chances of getting a textbook grip on my pistol are slim to none. That bad grip means I would be moving the gun around to correct my grip and find a dot vs using the irons that are visible no matter how wonky you hold the gun..
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Clay C View Post
                        Not to mention it's easy to make hits by centering the target in the window.
                        I'm with you on this. You can still get good hits out to 10-12 yards by framing the target through the optic or using the top of the dot frame as a reference. Obviously, if you use the top of the dot your shots will be slightly low due to the offset.

I took the Scott Jedlinski Red Dot instructor class and we ran several drills with our dots off. A dead battery is a non- issue at this point if you train for it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

This was discussed pretty thoroughly probably 6-8 months back on here, there are 2 camps. Those that think it is dumb and those that think it is greatest thing since sliced bread.

I am in the I think it is dumb category. I would not trust one on my everyday carry weapon. I wont it to work 100% of the time no ifs ands or buts so I will just run irons on all of my daily carry stuff. Even on my AR and such it has a low power scope on it to keep from having to rely on a battery whether it will work that day or not. Or I would run a tritium reticle of some sort like the trijicon optics.
                          Did you know even with dead batteries on a red dot pistol you can still just use the irons on the pistol? It the same premise.

Do you also suggest people not own motor vehicles?
                          They will fail if you don't change the oil or put gas in them....
                          Last edited by BigJimmyRustler; 05-04-2021, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by QuackHunter View Post
                            It’s just part of proper gear and gun maintenance. Keep stuff on hand you may need, and if you carry you should be handling your gun everyday and at least dry firing once a week if not every day. I think there is a lot of resistance to the change that’s unwarranted. People don’t like change and I get that, but it’s not something that adds this mystical 5th dimension. They’re simple and easy to maintain, and for the most part built pretty dang tough and you can still superimpose the dot wherever you’re aiming if the lens becomes obstructed.

You me and half the guys in this thread aren't like the general public is the problem. Sure we maintain our stuff mess with our guns daily and are gun guys. But to suggest one to the general public with that knowledge and expect them to do everything you just mentioned is insane. I would venture to say 75+% of your daily ccw wearers haven't even shot their pistol in the last year or longer. Thus why on the general open forum I will never suggest one on a CCW

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bloodtrail18 View Post
                              That's an awful big optic to be mounting to a Glock 19... More likely they use the Trijicon RMR.

We beat this horse to death a while back (Irons vs dots) and for a strictly carry for self defense purpose, I'm in the iron sight camp. Now if you carry while riding the ranch or have a multi use pistol there's no reason not to have a dot.

I shoot USPSA in both the Open division (dots) and the limited division (no dots). I've tested myself on the clock to see which pistol I could draw and fire the fastest on a target at 7 yards and get an A zone hit and my iron sight gun wins nearly every time. The reason for that is the irons act as a reference point to get lined up and get a shot off quickly. With a dot if you don't get a good grip on the draw it will take a fraction of a second longer to find the dot and get it on target. Where the dot really shines (pun intended) is for follow up shots, every shot after the first from the draw will be much slower when having to line up the iron sights vs moving the dot back to POA.

In a situation where I would need to use my CCW the most important shot will be the first shot after drawing from the holster. In that situation stress level will be through the roof and the chances of getting a textbook grip on my pistol are slim to none. That bad grip means I would be moving the gun around to correct my grip and find a dot vs using the irons that are visible no matter how wonky you hold the gun..

Yes I meant RMR (I just sold an MRO). I prefer iron sights too, but again, it comes down to training. I wouldn't say irons are better just because I'm faster with iron sights. That's obviously not the case for a lot of guys. That's my point.

Comment

Originally posted by BigJimmyRustler View Post
                                Did you know even with dead batteries on a red dot pistol you can still just use the irons on the pistol? It the same premise.

Do you also suggest people not own motor vehicles?
                                They will fail if you don't change the oil or put gas in them....
                                See post 17 where is the irons? I have seen more folks yank the irons off and put an optic in its place than I have the other way around.

And comparing a car to a ccw pistol is like comparing a potato to an apple. Not even close. And yes I know more than a few people who have burned up a car not changing the oil. You guys have to much faith in humanity. If your on this thread reading this you are not on the same playing field as most of the gun owning community.

No skin off my back. But I will never suggest to a beginner, new shooter or the general public to put their faith in an electronic device for something they may have to use in a life or death scenario.

But if you maintain it keep it functional and practice with it yeah it is the superior optic but most folks don't do that. So blindly telling folks to do that is bad form with out adding that caveat.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X