No announcement yet.

3/4 ton truck gas or diesel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most of the people I know that drive diesel trucks have absolutely no use for them. They just think they're more masculine because they drive one. I know a few that have never even had a trailer hooked onto them.

This has nothing to do with anyone else on here, as I have no idea what you pull. So, don't get your tighties in a wad.

Comment

What are the gas motors in the 3/4 tons to stay away from or any? OR which ones have most had good luck out of?

Comment

Originally posted by CBHunter View Post
        Most of the people I know that drive diesel trucks have absolutely no use for them. They just think they're more masculine because they drive one. I know a few that have never even had a trailer hooked onto them.

This has nothing to do with anyone else on here, as I have no idea what you pull. So, don't get your tighties in a wad.
        Correct, I haul more with my half ton than most 1 tons that I know. All the guys with diesel trucks talk bad about 3/4 ton with gas engines. For some reason, but itll tow all I ever need when I get one.

Comment

Originally posted by txhunter90 View Post
          What are the gas motors in the 3/4 tons to stay away from or any? OR which ones have most had good luck out of?
          I don’t see or here about many issues in 6.0 , 6.6 , 6.4 , 6.2 , 7.3
          Gmc , ram , Ford , I am sure someone has a problem with one of them, my 6.0 is solid, just wish it had a 10 speed transmission

Comment

For me diesel all day. Towing is better and I never stress about running it for 8-10 hours in the west TX heat to keep my english bulldog cool when I take him to work with me.

I know it's more upfront cost but the resale is much better on a diesel than a gasser. Once that gasser hits 80k miles no one wants to buy it. You see 100k on a Cummins and think she ain't even broke in good yet.

I took mine to the dealership the first 2 times for oil changes... that $400 adds up so I bought the tools and now I do them myself. It costs me about $120 and 2 hours.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Resale is definitely higher in diesel. That said I just transitioned from a half ton 2018 gmc to a 3/4 ton 21 dodge with the 6.4 Hemi. I was pleasantly surprised at the drivability of that truck with that motor and the 8 speed. For the pulling I occasionally do it shouldn’t have any issues. If I regularly hauled loads over 10-12k then I would have likely looked harder at the diesels but in this case I just couldn’t justify it.

Comment

I’d say buy what you want. If ya want the diesel, roll with it.

Comment

Originally posted by S-3 Ranch View Post
                  I am not a big delete advocate, but in this case yes delete
                  Farm truck and your part of Texas
                  No one close will delete them anymore is my problem.

Comment

Originally posted by doghouse View Post

If you are at all mechanically inclined, it’s about an hour job. Not hard at all to do yourself, and you can order all the parts online.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain39 View Post
                      I have a 2016 Ram with 6.4; overall average 13.6; but hwy mileage is 15.5 on 35 inch tires. Pulls great; but mpg is awful when pulling. Get oil change every 8k with synthetic usually around $80. I have 80k miles and not one problem. Only complaint is roughest ride I ever owned...
                      Your avatar…that’s a ‘99 FXR2…Am I wrong?

Comment

I’ve owned 7 diesels trucks and went to gas in 2011, and I’ll never say never but can’t see myself going back to diesel. I pull trailers daily with loads up to a 13k pound Kubota skid steer, and my 6.2 liter Fords do just fine. My F250 has 190k, and the F350 has 155k. Neither has had anything done to them other than cab mount bushing and A/C compressors.

When I get another truck, it will have the new 7.3 gas motor.

Comment

Originally posted by doghouse View Post

… and the EPA is cracking down on all performance shops. So before long, unless SEMA can get legislation passed putting a check on the EPA, there won’t be ANY companies around that can tune problems out of new(er) vehicles.

Comment

Originally posted by 91cavgt View Post
                            … and the EPA is cracking down on all performance shops. So before long, unless SEMA can get legislation passed putting a check on the EPA, there won’t be ANY companies around that can tune problems out of new(er) vehicles.
                            That is what I am hearing. When they do decide to crack down it's going to be a 5 digit fine when caught. Inspector told me around 25k if the feds catch you. No clue just what I have heard. Current administration is all worried about global warming.

Comment

I have the chevy 6.6 gas and get about 13-14 avg and 16-18 on a long drive pulls everything i have hooked up to it but like others have said mileage drops off to about 10-11 pulling

Comment

Originally posted by shwacker1911 View Post
                                mileage drops off to about 10-11 pulling
                                So does my diesel.

I get 10ish pulling a small 5th wheel and lucky to get 12-13 pulling a sxs.
                                It tows both well, but decent MPG's while towing with a diesel hasn't been my experience.

Comment

Working...
                                X