No announcement yet.

Iron Will Broadheads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I shoot Iron Will 125V and am really pleased with them. I don’t think you can go wrong with any of the Iron Will products. I even bought my daughter some once she proves she’s ready to shoot at a live animal, they’re a reward for her hard work and have her nickname engraved on them as they should last for years as long as they don’t get lost.

The Day 6 and Iron Will appear similar. But the Day 6 broadheads appear to have a curved cutting surface, which will make it more difficult to resharpen I think.

I resharpen my Iron Wills and it’s pretty easy to get the razor sharp, especially after stropping them.

I use the Stay Sharp. It takes some time as you are sharpening 6 edges on the main blade. Just make sure it’s lined up perfectly so you don’t create a new angle.

Comment

I shoot Iron Wills. Well at least I have them and practice with them have not yet shot an animal with them. I really like the Day 6 heads also but as mentioned above my issue is the curved edge. It is easier to sharpen the straight edged blades for me(I use the same sharp guide).

Really the main difference in the two is the steel as the design is very similar. Iron Will uses A2 tool steel and Day 6 uses S30V steel. A2 is not stainless but has better toughness and probably a little easier to sharpen when needed. S30V is stainless, a little more brittle(although still tough enough to withstand anything you'll need for bowhunting) and probably better edge retention. Both far superior to anything used by the mainstream broadhead brands.

Comment

I shoot the wides. I just shot a doe in Kentucky last week and was very please with performance. Also shot a deer last year in tx with one and hit the deer a tad forward and low. It blew through both legs of the deer and i watched fall 15 yards away.

Only negative thing i can say is i have got rained on twice and they build surface rust. Website says this is normal with the A2 steel and doesn't effect the integrity of the broadhead.

Comment

Ya loosing a $33.00 broadhead seems expensive to me but worth a shot (no pun intended). I love experimenting, thanks for the advice fellas!

Comment

I shot my New Mexico bison in the heart with one. Had 10in of arrow sticking out of offside. After recovering the broadhead it was still shave hair sharp. He also didn't go 20.

IMO not all animals need a head this tough. It all depends on your setup what head will work best for each animal.

With that being said if you need the "best fix blade" my vote would be for Iron will.

Comment

Originally posted by bswift355 View Post
              I shot my New Mexico bison in the heart with one. Had 10in of arrow sticking out of offside. After recovering the broadhead it was still shave hair sharp. He also didn't go 20.

IMO not all animals need a head this tough. It all depends on your setup what head will work best for each animal.

With that being said if you need the "best fix blade" my vote would be for Iron will.
              Curious what your arrow setup was for this (weight, speed)? Pretty set on these or the Day Six for an elk hunt I'm hoping to take next year.

Comment

Both the iron will and the day six are very good broadheads. Day six are more difficult to sharpen since they have a curved edge. Iron wills are far more inclined to rust because of the metal they are made from. Its a bit added effort to keep the iron wills oiled and its a bit more effort to sharpen the Day six. I have both and like both. It's just whatever pain you want to put up with. Also, I'd recommend nonvented for a bit quieter flight. Day six doesn't make an unvented broadhead for that reason.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Comment

I shot them for a period of time, they are good broad heads, but they are not " magical", I had no better or worse worse experiences with them. 95% of the broad heads get the job done, if we do our part. I prefer German kinetics over Iron wills, personally, if iam am spending that much money. You get a wider cut, which i really really like ( the GK from Marcus in Germany)

Comment

Any tried to sharpen an Iron will with a work sharp sharpener?

Comment

Originally posted by enewman View Post
                      If you go look at the test done by the Ashby foundation. They didn't do good on edge retention.

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...TUDY_Final.pdf
                      Based on other tests I’ve seen and read, these results are suspect at best in my opinion. Ive never shot any of these heads but have watched the Grizzly Stick heads break being shot into the same medium as a Bishop head. I’ve also seen Iron will heads out perform GS heads. The results of this test are almost opposite of what I would have expected too see, except for the Tuff head. Everything I’ve read says they are da bomb.

Comment

Originally posted by RUNNING BEAR View Post
                        Based on other tests I’ve seen and read, these results are suspect at best in my opinion. Ive never shot any of these heads but have watched the Grizzly Stick heads break being shot into the same medium as a Bishop head. I’ve also seen Iron will heads out perform GS heads. The results of this test are almost opposite of what I would have expected too see, except for the Tuff head. Everything I’ve read says they are da bomb.
                        I think the test that was just released by the ABF is about worthless as tits on a boar hog.

Comment

Originally posted by critter69 View Post
                          I shot them for a period of time, they are good broad heads, but they are not " magical", I had no better or worse worse experiences with them. 95% of the broad heads get the job done, if we do our part. I prefer German kinetics over Iron wills, personally, if iam am spending that much money. You get a wider cut, which i really really like ( the GK from Marcus in Germany)
                          And yes iron wills rust., chapstick kinda helped.

Comment

Gonna try them this year. Love all the reports I’ve read on them.

Comment

Originally posted by SETXbowhunter22 View Post
                              Any tried to sharpen an Iron will with a work sharp sharpener?
                              No I haven’t, but don’t see why you can’t if you take the bleeders off. I use a Lansky or a v sharp

Comment

Working...
                              X