Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Western Elk Hunting 2022

Hello fellas,

I believe this is the time of the year when people start putting in for elk bow hunt tags in several of the western states. This is something that ive always wanted to do. Short of hiring a guide which is very expensive from what i understand, i would like to do a DIY elk hunt. But instead of going solo, i'd rather hook up with anyone (or a team) that has already done these DIY hunts that may have a spot open.

So this post is to see if any of you more experience western elk hunters care to take a newbie along and perhaps make a new friend.

Thanks in advance.

Benson

Can't help you op but this thread is a good start.

You should also start participating in the elk thread. It's a little slow now but will become more and more active as draws and results get closer.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Comment

!

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
      Can't help you op but this thread is a good start.

You should also start participating in the elk thread. It's a little slow now but will become more and more active as draws and results get closer.
      Hey thanks Slick8!!! It prolly makes sense to post over there instead. Thanks for pointing me in that direction.

God bless!

Ben

Comment

Get yourself on hunttalk.com. Lot's of REALLY good info there for western style hunts.

Comment

Look into huntinfool. It’s a great tool!

Comment

Huntreminder as well— you can set up notifications for all the draws by animal and state so you don’t miss draw deadlines.

Comment

I've never done one but I would like to put in for a tag. Benson you're from my home town.

Comment

Benson look into a cow elk licenses and just come on up and hunt.
                Elk are just big deer.

You'll need some PP for some of the western states, Wyoming particularly, but some cow elk licenses can be drawn with 0 PP and reduced price cow tags in Wyoming are a random draw and do not need or take PP.

I would suggest getting your spouse or a good friend to come on up with you for a cow hunt and see if elk hunting is your cup o' tea as they say.
                You can find a cabin to rent in elk country or bring a trailer or tent and hit up the earlier seasons before it gets really cold and snowy.

You'll need good boots and a pack frame other than your deer hunting equipt.

Colorado has OTC elk tags but not sure I would send anyone there for a 1st elk hunt, elk can be found but it is a zoo in many areas.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                  Benson look into a cow elk licenses and just come on up and hunt.
                  Elk are just big deer.

You'll need some PP for some of the western states, Wyoming particularly, but some cow elk licenses can be drawn with 0 PP and reduced price cow tags in Wyoming are a random draw and do not need or take PP.

I would suggest getting your spouse or a good friend to come on up with you for a cow hunt and see if elk hunting is your cup o' tea as they say.
                  You can find a cabin to rent in elk country or bring a trailer or tent and hit up the earlier seasons before it gets really cold and snowy.

You'll need good boots and a pack frame other than your deer hunting equipt.

Colorado has OTC elk tags but not sure I would send anyone there for a 1st elk hunt, elk can be found but it is a zoo in many areas.

I did this last year. Went with my son, got a couple of cow tags. We had a blast and both tag out in a couple of days.

Comment

Gohunt.com is a good place to get info if you become an insider. I think the subscription is worth it. I've only done one public land elk hunt in New Mexico several years ago. (guided) Trying to put in again this year for DIY. If that doesn't pan out I might look into other alternatives for a mule deer or elk hunt.

I've been fortunate to do several guided hunts for different animals and that has been a blast, definitely has made me a better hunter. Good luck, good hunting partners can be tough to come by. Need to find someone like minded.

Comment

Originally posted by jomw10 View Post
                      I did this last year. Went with my son, got a couple of cow tags. We had a blast and both tag out in a couple of days.
                      I would love some more information and details on your hunt. If you would rather send it over PM or email I am good with that.

Comment

Originally posted by jomw10 View Post
                        Originally posted by Rounder View Post
                        I would love some more information and details on your hunt. If you would rather send it over PM or email I am good with that.
                        Yes please. Same Here. Would love to hear more about that.

Comment

Guys, cow tags in Wyoming are also a draw and that app was due Jan.31.
                          Reduced price cow tags are random draw so no PP but still have to apply in Jan.
                          Many areas with great access have cow licenses, USFS etc.
                          The hunting is good and cow can be had DIY.
                          Some areas are more geared towards late season hunts, Nov and later and snow can limit access.

There will be some cow tags left for the leftover draw but access can be an issue in those areas.
                          Wyoming also has Full price cow tags, Type 4 elk licenses, that take PP if you draw them in 1st draw.

Look over the regs for elk and see where the Reduced Price cow licenses are offered and access they have. Some areas open before bull season , some even in Aug. when hunting elk can be daunting due to heat and getting meat out of the field.

Comment

Montana Draw applications open tomorrow (March 1). I am about 90% convinced that i will apply for Montana this week. At this point, it looks like a solo trip, so if you're interested in tagging up (no pun intended), PM me. Hopefully I can draw a tag.

Comment

Dang, Montana is a ways away... good luck Ben...how bout New mexico? lots of TBH'ers go there.

Comment

Working...
                              X