1978 c10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dpg481 View Post
    Are you going to wet sand it before buffing? My Suburban has clear burned off of it at the tops of the fenders and down the side. I'm wondering if I wet sand first and then get the buffer running if I will get a better end result. Thanks for the updates on the ride, and if you come across another set of wheels hit me up, I'm having a hard time finding something used.
    Not planning to wet sand- full story is this paint is a single stage driveway job done over the original. No idea why, the original paint was a much better color and the eventual repaint color for me. My plan is to wash, hand work with Mcguires #7 which is great for single stage paint. Then power buff with a polish and power wax. It'll be a 10' job at best but good enough for now. I may sand a bit around some of the dings to make it look more patina than chip, we will see. Paint job isn't anywhere in the budget this year.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasBob View Post
      Not planning to wet sand- full story is this paint is a single stage driveway job done over the original. No idea why, the original paint was a much better color and the eventual repaint color for me. My plan is to wash, hand work with Mcguires #7 which is great for single stage paint. Then power buff with a polish and power wax. It'll be a 10' job at best but good enough for now. I may sand a bit around some of the dings to make it look more patina than chip, we will see. Paint job isn't anywhere in the budget this year.
      I was reading about people using linseed oil and another petroleum based chemical that people are using to bring out the old paints shine. It seems like a pretty simple trick but I doubt it would last very long.

Comment

Originally posted by dpg481 View Post
        I was reading about people using linseed oil and another petroleum based chemical that people are using to bring out the old paints shine. It seems like a pretty simple trick but I doubt it would last very long.
        This is also done over patina to stop/prevent rust I believe. An article came up when I was researching the process I wanted to try and yes, I believe it needs to be reapplied regularly.

Comment

This might get good before the weekend is up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Referb or do a swap? That is the question.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
              Referb or do a swap? That is the question.

That’s a brand new USA1 high dollar dash pad. I tried to refurb the old one and it just got worse and worse.

Comment

Sorry. I was looking at the guage bezel.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                  Sorry. I was looking at the guage bezel.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!

Makes sense. I’m rehabbing that. Coat of black plastic paint and new trim.

Comment

Comment

Those last couple pics remind me of a 86 short bed my wife had. She wanted a CD player so we picked one and all the stuff at bestbuy. Got it home and it was just a little too big for the dash. I couldnt get tin snips to trim it so I laid in the front seat with a 4" dewalt grinder and went to town. She blew the motor up not long after and sold it.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                        Those last couple pics remind me of a 86 short bed my wife had. She wanted a CD player so we picked one and all the stuff at bestbuy. Got it home and it was just a little too big for the dash. I couldnt get tin snips to trim it so I laid in the front seat with a 4" dewalt grinder and went to town. She blew the motor up not long after and sold it.

I have seen me do that!

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                          I have seen me do that!
                          The rod through the oil pan part or the grinder?

[emoji28]

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Grinder!

My old Turbo-400 would shift its self before I wound it tight enough to throw a rod

Comment

Working...
                            X