Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2022, 06:15 PM   #301
rem788
Ten Point
 
rem788's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cypress
Hunt In: Public Land
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ras308 View Post
I was raised there. I've been on a boat when there was 9 foot of water over 125!!!

Iíd believe it. I donít remember what year it was when I went out there and the road was the o my thing not under water. Pretty crazy only seeing some treetops sticking out of what looked like a lake.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rem788 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-04-2022, 06:35 PM   #302
Ballinonabudget
Four Point
 
Ballinonabudget's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Hunt In: Where the deer are
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem788 View Post
Iíd believe it. I donít remember what year it was when I went out there and the road was the o my thing not under water. Pretty crazy only seeing some treetops sticking out of what looked like a lake.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me and a buddy were on the lake when it was 10ft high, the next day it rained 24Ē and the water ran 2í+ over 1697 at nails creek


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ballinonabudget is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2022, 05:51 PM   #303
PLBowhunter
Spike
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Default

Has anyone hunted Somerville since the baiting season opened? I got myself a crossbow and thought of going out but by the time I got it, it got too hot haha
PLBowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2022, 08:15 PM   #304
Beargrasstx
Ten Point
 
Beargrasstx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Richmond
Hunt In: Anywhere I get permission or invited; public land, western states
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLBowhunter View Post
Has anyone hunted Somerville since the baiting season opened? I got myself a crossbow and thought of going out but by the time I got it, it got too hot haha

Grass is tall, cant see where you are stepping so wear snake boots or gaiters. bug spray will be a must
Beargrasstx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2022, 02:47 PM   #305
PLBowhunter
Spike
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beargrasstx View Post
Grass is tall, cant see where you are stepping so wear snake boots or gaiters. bug spray will be a must
Why don't they just prescribe burn it then? Or plant more deer to mow the grass?

Maybe I can come with a scythe and just make myself a trail
PLBowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2022, 02:49 PM   #306
GD47
Six Point
 
GD47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Bryan
Hunt In: Lee
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLBowhunter View Post
Why don't they just prescribe burn it then? Or plant more deer to mow the grass?

Maybe I can come with a scythe and just make myself a trail

Go ahead cut that trail so you can have 10 people follow itÖ youíll learn Somerville is cut throat and over ran by weekend hunters


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GD47 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2022, 02:56 PM   #307
Mitchell8
Eight Point
 
Mitchell8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: College Station
Hunt In: Anywhere
Default

Might well post gps cordinates to your pig season corn pile
Mitchell8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2022, 02:57 PM   #308
Beargrasstx
Ten Point
 
Beargrasstx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Richmond
Hunt In: Anywhere I get permission or invited; public land, western states
Default

That's one of the few good things about shift work but even hunters are out there during week day

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Beargrasstx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2022, 03:00 PM   #309
Beargrasstx
Ten Point
 
Beargrasstx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Richmond
Hunt In: Anywhere I get permission or invited; public land, western states
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell8 View Post
Might well post gps cordinates to your pig season corn pile
Those are easy to find as usually by a road with a dolly to transport corn. Plus not really necessary out there to kill pigs

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Beargrasstx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2022, 03:00 PM   #310
GD47
Six Point
 
GD47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Bryan
Hunt In: Lee
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beargrasstx View Post
That's one of the few good things about shift work but even hunters are out there during week day

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Iím just gonna stay away from yegua unit for now on lol sad I had to leave it after 12 yrs but tired of the pot lickers lol


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GD47 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2022, 03:05 PM   #311
Beargrasstx
Ten Point
 
Beargrasstx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Richmond
Hunt In: Anywhere I get permission or invited; public land, western states
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GD47 View Post
Iím just gonna stay away from yegua unit for now on lol sad I had to leave it after 12 yrs but tired of the pot lickers lol


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nails isn't better...might be worse

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Beargrasstx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2022, 03:07 PM   #312
GD47
Six Point
 
GD47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Bryan
Hunt In: Lee
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beargrasstx View Post
Nails isn't better...might be worse

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Oh i wouldnít hunt nails lol and if I did it wouldnít be on the cr side thinking Iím gonna hunt back side of yegua box 5 I think it is never stepped foot on that side of the world


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GD47 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2022, 03:15 PM   #313
Beargrasstx
Ten Point
 
Beargrasstx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Richmond
Hunt In: Anywhere I get permission or invited; public land, western states
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GD47 View Post
Oh i wouldnít hunt nails lol and if I did it wouldnít be on the cr side thinking Iím gonna hunt back side of yegua box 5 I think it is never stepped foot on that side of the world


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've been on backside of 5 and there is a local kid that hunts back there a lot. Backside of 4 might be good, thick and swampy though

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Beargrasstx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2022, 03:20 PM   #314
Beargrasstx
Ten Point
 
Beargrasstx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Richmond
Hunt In: Anywhere I get permission or invited; public land, western states
Default

Duckhunters are at 1,2,3, 5. I've never hunted 4 and not sure anywhere for duckhunters there.

Somerville is fun to get out and enjoy nature and I like it better than Sam being archery only

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Beargrasstx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2022, 03:42 PM   #315
PLBowhunter
Spike
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GD47 View Post
Go ahead cut that trail so you can have 10 people follow itÖ youíll learn Somerville is cut throat and over ran by weekend hunters


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Man that sucks... I've hunted Alberta before moving here for about 6 years and never seen another hunter in my area. I've seen signs of natives setting up camp a week before hunting season for the colonizers starts but never had anyone sit in my stand or walking the same trail I do.

You do see camps and trucks driving around road hunting on public land but that's about it. Here? I've had people walk right out in front of me haha.
PLBowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2022, 07:13 PM   #316
Beargrasstx
Ten Point
 
Beargrasstx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Richmond
Hunt In: Anywhere I get permission or invited; public land, western states
Default

Well we have few places to hunt in Texas and it's close to major populations or at least not too far away for a quick drive

Archery only helps, crossbows add the guys that gun hunt but now found out about this place so bought a crossbow thinking it wouldn't have the hunting pressure as Sam. Disclaimer I have nothing against crossbow hunters and some hunters I know have injuries or limitations, just stating facts of increased pressure in archery only compared to our Canadian friends experience

Another thing, you are supposed to wear orange but I haven't seen another hunter wear orange out there so not always easy to pick off guys from a distance. Some of these hunters set up close to major parking areas and then get upset someone walked by them, yet they are off a major trail or close to front and not wearing orange so not easy to see

I have been lucky in not being walked upon and have only walked upon someone one time. It was last May and parked at yegua spot 5. It was a Monday at noon time and somebody hauled corn to the end of the trail and set up. They got mad because I was walking down the trail to get in the heart of yegua.

Anyways, I have met some cool people that hunt out there by connecting through this page. Good luck and plenty of deer can be killed out there. Saw deer almost every hunt if not every hunt.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Beargrasstx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2022, 07:22 PM   #317
GD47
Six Point
 
GD47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Bryan
Hunt In: Lee
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beargrasstx View Post
Well we have few places to hunt in Texas and it's close to major populations or at least not too far away for a quick drive

Archery only helps, crossbows add the guys that gun hunt but now found out about this place so bought a crossbow thinking it wouldn't have the hunting pressure as Sam. Disclaimer I have nothing against crossbow hunters and some hunters I know have injuries or limitations, just stating facts of increased pressure in archery only compared to our Canadian friends experience

Another thing, you are supposed to wear orange but I haven't seen another hunter wear orange out there so not always easy to pick off guys from a distance. Some of these hunters set up close to major parking areas and then get upset someone walked by them, yet they are off a major trail or close to front and not wearing orange so not easy to see

I have been lucky in not being walked upon and have only walked upon someone one time. It was last May and parked at yegua spot 5. It was a Monday at noon time and somebody hauled corn to the end of the trail and set up. They got mad because I was walking down the trail to get in the heart of yegua.

Anyways, I have met some cool people that hunt out there by connecting through this page. Good luck and plenty of deer can be killed out there. Saw deer almost every hunt if not every hunt.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I agree 100% there will always be the selected few who donít do the home work and just walk and walk and walk till they see either cameras or tree cleaned out for stand and then set up 100 yrds away claiming oh itís public land I get it but when you move another 300 yrds away and they come same way once you move itís more than just bad luck lol after 12 yrs of hunting there the last 7 yrs weíve been able to get ours does and a few really nice bucks just donít think the respect and honest people are there any more until last 3 yrs Iíve never had anything stolen and last 2 Iíve had 4 cameras stolen and 2 stands which tell me Iím done with the oil pad side and move on to the next box wherever that may be lol Iíll be out there mid aug like always hope to see yal there


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GD47 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2022, 07:30 PM   #318
Beargrasstx
Ten Point
 
Beargrasstx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Richmond
Hunt In: Anywhere I get permission or invited; public land, western states
Default

Oil pad side? Parking spot 3 in Yegua with all the duck hunters? That's a good area, sucks that happened to you with theft and people following your setup.

I do my best to avoid areas where I see cameras and other stands. Especially if they look new or being used. Sometimes it's hard to know so many get left out there.

I have been lucky with no theft as i had some cameras 3ft off ground unsecured and i know had to be seen.

I have started to hang my cameras 10ft up using climbing sticks and a python cable but that doesn't prevent theft, just makes it a little harder

There was one situation I had to walk through a guys setup to get to my setup based on wind direction and deer bedding but I didn't hunt that spot if I saw his vehicle parked. I try to have multiple set ups

Good luck next season!

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Beargrasstx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com