X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meateater podcast “they go from chasing *** to eating grass.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Haha I get a kick out of the term BARR hog. Being an ag teacher we teach animal terminology and Barr is not correct lol. All my hog hunting kids love to argue, but castrated pigs are barrows. Hog hunters ( I assume that’s where it started ) just shortened it to Barr

Comment

Yall seen ol Boris lately?

Comment

I’m with Gary on what should happen with all caught hogs but one one or two hogs that can’t reproduce really isn’t going to make ant difference. I say kill 10 for everyone you cut and your buying your self room for letting one go.

Comment

Originally posted by Javelin View Post
            Haha I get a kick out of the term BARR hog. Being an ag teacher we teach animal terminology and Barr is not correct lol. All my hog hunting kids love to argue, but castrated pigs are barrows. Hog hunters ( I assume that’s where it started ) just shortened it to Barr
            The practice and the term has been around for hundreds of years. Just because your new text book does not list it does not make it wrong.

-john

Comment

We released about 50 of them one year. Finally shot one about 6 years later. Huge with big ole cutters. The kid that shot it has it mounted above his bed.

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Hoghunter View Post
                The practice and the term has been around for hundreds of years. Just because your new text book does not list it does not make it wrong.

-john
                cut hog has always been a barrow

boar/barrow
                bull/steer

Comment

Just a slang. No different than old ranchers with Brahman cows telling you all about their “Bremers”.[emoji6][emoji23][emoji23]

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Roberson View Post
                    You are making him a barrow. Yes, he will loose the desire to fight and breed, more content to just worry about eating and surviving. Castrating hogs and turning them loose is not a practice that I want on any ranches that we operate. If you want to cut them, cut their throats and let them bleed out. Our problem out here is that we have too many hogs and if we don't remove 75% of them annually, we are loosing ground.
                    Adios,
                    Gary
                    This right here. I would not let the land owner know of these practices. If your a land owner then don’t let your neighbors know.

Comment

I cut one. Was 30 lbs or so when I let him go.

9-10 months later I killed him thermal hunting and he was 150-170

Comment

-john
                        You got that right

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                          Just a slang. No different than old ranchers with Brahman cows telling you all about their “Bremers”.[emoji6][emoji23][emoji23]

Exactly, this is the other term I find myself correcting students on all the time lol

Comment

Yes Barr is just a short word for barrows. Kind of like saying congrats instead of congratulations. Glad you get a kick out of it though.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                              Yes Barr is just a short word for barrows. Kind of like saying congrats instead of congratulations. Glad you get a kick out of it though.

Comment

-john
                                actually it is incorrect, just because the term has been around does not make it correct terminology. It is the slang version, the shortened version.

Comment

Working...
                                X