No announcement yet.

Missing 4 yrs Rust Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So sad to see that old Model 24 in that shape. Best 22 rifle ever.
    She's worth saving at all costs.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
      So sad to see that old Model 24 in that shape. Best 22 rifle ever.
      She's worth saving at all costs.
      Yep, that was one of my granddad's and and showed some use but cycled perfect. The Mossberg 152 was a real shooter and had a peep on it, which I still have, but scoped it because it was so accurate. I will do my best to save them all.

Comment

So i got a story to tell on myself. I had an old Remington model 550-1 when i was a kid. Loved that gun. Long story short it got left leaning up against a tree for about 4 years. I happened to drive by the tree one day 4-5 years later and that gun was still leaning up against the tree on our place.

The squirrels and chewed on the stock and it was bleached out. The gun was rusted smooth shut.

So i took it in the barn and just started spraying ever penetrating oil i could find down the barrel. I left it that way for months everytime i thought about it i would spray something down it.

Finally got it to the point i could start driving the action back and forth and got it loosened up and working. Once it was all good i started on the barrel. I did the whole rod and wire brush etc with drill for a while. Finally i just started shooting it. It was so bad and inaccurate after that you couldnt hit a barn with it. So i sat down one evening and shot about 2-300 rds through it and after that it started shooting great again and the rifling looks almost normal again.

I sanded the stock down some and clear coated it with the squirrel chew marks and all still in it. I left the gun like it was rusted it had gone way past the point of red rust and has a pretty neat old patina look to it so i just decided to leave it.

Comment

I would soak repeatedly for several days in wd40 and wipe it off, over and over again. Then I would go with the steel wool after that with wd40 if needed.

Comment

Originally posted by dclifton View Post
            So i got a story to tell on myself. I had an old Remington model 550-1 when i was a kid. Loved that gun. Long story short it got left leaning up against a tree for about 4 years. I happened to drive by the tree one day 4-5 years later and that gun was still leaning up against the tree on our place.

The squirrels and chewed on the stock and it was bleached out. The gun was rusted smooth shut.

So i took it in the barn and just started spraying ever penetrating oil i could find down the barrel. I left it that way for months everytime i thought about it i would spray something down it.

Finally got it to the point i could start driving the action back and forth and got it loosened up and working. Once it was all good i started on the barrel. I did the whole rod and wire brush etc with drill for a while. Finally i just started shooting it. It was so bad and inaccurate after that you couldnt hit a barn with it. So i sat down one evening and shot about 2-300 rds through it and after that it started shooting great again and the rifling looks almost normal again.

I sanded the stock down some and clear coated it with the squirrel chew marks and all still in it. I left the gun like it was rusted it had gone way past the point of red rust and has a pretty neat old patina look to it so i just decided to leave it.
            Neat story! Any pics?

Comment

Originally posted by fish4food View Post
              Neat story! Any pics?
              Ill try to get some pics next time i think about it.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                Make sure you get a pre 1982 penny. Anything newer is not all copper.
                wasn't sure of the year but that's why i specified a copper one

Comment

0000 Steel wool and Kroil. Best combination I have found.

Comment

Mine stay's in case for months and months every year never had a spec of rust, I don't get it.

Comment

Originally posted by UrbanBuck View Post
                      Mine stay's in case for months and months every year never had a spec of rust, I don't get it.
                      The atmosphere in the horse barn is a different situation, the office is conditioned space but tack room not conditioned. I did a remodel in the office and these guns were in the case and got covered up in the tack room.
                      Going to start working on them hopefully this weekend, will post pic's.
                      Thanks for all the info, I have most products mentioned and plan to start mild and go from there.

Comment

Good luck, I think its a good project.

Comment

CRC's Evapo-Rust® Heavy Duty Rust Remover will remove rust to bare metal in minutes without scrubbing. It is also biodegradable and reusable!

Comment

Working...
                          X