No announcement yet.

Should I? Willys Jeep project.........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Real Jeep’s are one of the coolest thing America has produced.
    Every American man should own one.
    And it should be against the law to use a sawzall or cover it in bed liner on the precious few that are unmolested.
    I love it.

Comment

That is a Jeep! Those dang Wrangers and worse those 4D Wranglers are not Jeeps or anything else made in the last 35 years with a Jeep on them.

That is nice, that would be nice to have that. I really like that winch, never seen anything like that before.

Years ago, we had one of those, it was the roughest riding noisiest thing to get around in. Finally one day I crawled under the front end to see if I could see a problem, that would explain why there was such a loud banging noise and rough ride, on every bump we hit. Turns out the right front spring was broken in half. A lot of people had been driving it around all over the place, for months and complaining of it riding rough. Then I finally drove it and experienced what they were talking about. I could not believe it had been driven around for so long with a spring broke completely in half. It was still getting along fine, just noisy to drive and very rough riding like that.

I have gotten to drive a couple of those old Jeeps, the other one I remember driving, was in very good condition. The other Jeep, I worked on for a customer years ago, it was amphibious, the engineering on that thing was pretty interesting. Amazing the stuff they came up with back then. That one was fun to drive. The one my parents owned, had that broken right front spring from the first time I saw it, till the last time I saw it. I kept telling them, they needed to stop driving it and buy some springs for it. Nobody seemed to care, they just kept driving it. That one, was not a lot of fun to drive, because every little bump you hit, there was a loud bang to go with the bump, then the rough ride. I don't know why they refused to spend any money on it. For a long time that was the only military/Willis Jeep I had ever been around. Once I worked on that one for a customer, years later, that's when I got to see how cool they are, could be.
      Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 07-28-2021, 07:23 AM.

Comment

I wanted a jeep all my life but never bought one. I finally bought a project one a few years ago. Good bones. Got it running, started replacing stuff. got it inspected and drove it some, still needed several things done. I kept replacing things and finding more that needed to be upgraded. Basically just got tired of it being a money pit, lost interest in it. Sat for 2 years and sold it. I enjoy projects, but not money pits....lol

Comment

If you have the funds, there's no reason not to. Congrats and good luck restoring it.

Comment

I learned to drive in one just like it. That would be a blast to ease around the woods in.

Comment

JEEP- Just Empty Every Pocket.
              I’ve never seen anyone look unhappy in a Jeep, plus you get a friendly wave, even from women in White Jeeps.

Comment

Get it

Comment

IF you get it, the first thing you need to do is check the tranny and PTO for water... The #1 thing that craps jeeps out like that is sitting out in the weather and dew/rain will run right down the gear shift leaver and right into the tranny/xfer case and PTO... I ha a '67 with a Warn overdrive and Koenig PTO winch front and Live shaft out back (for pulling a shredder)... It was a great vehicle, but the tranny went and it was from water that got in it just like I described... I had it in a local shop out in Del Rio for some minor repairs... They left it sit outside and it was during the tropical storm Charlie that flooded Del Rio.. Guy swore he had my jeep in the garage... I found out later that he did not and it sat out during that 20 something inches of rain... My fault for not pulling the tranny top and checking, but I didn't and a grand later, she was back operational again...

They are really cool vehicles, but as posted above they can be worse than a boat for being a money pit! Proceed with caution!!

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
                    I wanted a jeep all my life but never bought one. I finally bought a project one a few years ago. Good bones. Got it running, started replacing stuff. got it inspected and drove it some, still needed several things done. I kept replacing things and finding more that needed to be upgraded. Basically just got tired of it being a money pit, lost interest in it. Sat for 2 years and sold it. I enjoy projects, but not money pits....lol
                    A project doesn't have to be a money pit

Buy it!

Comment

Just do it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                        IF you get it, the first thing you need to do is check the tranny and PTO for water... The #1 thing that craps jeeps out like that is sitting out in the weather and dew/rain will run right down the gear shift leaver and right into the tranny/xfer case and PTO... I ha a '67 with a Warn overdrive and Koenig PTO winch front and Live shaft out back (for pulling a shredder)... It was a great vehicle, but the tranny went and it was from water that got in it just like I described... I had it in a local shop out in Del Rio for some minor repairs... They left it sit outside and it was during the tropical storm Charlie that flooded Del Rio.. Guy swore he had my jeep in the garage... I found out later that he did not and it sat out during that 20 something inches of rain... My fault for not pulling the tranny top and checking, but I didn't and a grand later, she was back operational again...

They are really cool vehicles, but as posted above they can be worse than a boat for being a money pit! Proceed with caution!!
                        This...

I have a 68 CJ and had a the tranny and transfer case rebuilt 2 years ago for this reason. Although it didn't get rained on or sit in water, condensation running down the shifters over the years was the issue due to the seals on top failing. i just keep fresh tennis balls with slits over each one now. I say go for it as that is a sweet ride!!! that pto winch is sweet.

Comment

Originally posted by outlook8 View Post
                          If you don't, I will!
                          Don't steal my response....haha!

Comment

I have 2 a 1941 MB (pre production)
                            and a 1948 that my Wife's Grandfather bought brand new
                            neither run at the moment but i could probably get them both going in a couple hours they are very simple machines and parts are still pretty easy to get online

Comment

Get it now!

Comment

That’s awesome!! I’ve got the same one in 1960 that my grandfather bought new and I inherited when he died in 1981. I need to redo mine, top to bottom too and hopefully will get it done this coming year.

Comment

Working...
                                X