Any truck drivers? Is it worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any truck drivers? Is it worth it?

Been thinking about changing careers. I always thought I would like a truck but it seems like you have to get hired on and do over the road for a year to get experience to get a job where you are local?

Is that how it typically works? I wouldn’t mind being gone some but i dont want to be gone for 2 weeks or more with out being home a day. I dont know if I would be willing to do that.

I know it would only be for a year but that seems crazy. I would think if they needed drivers as bad as it seems that they would get you home once a week or something like that.

Thoughts?

Rick

I did 6 months OTR and then was hired on locally (dump trucks) but most prefer a year OTR for local jobs.

I also try for 70hrs a week with my local job. I can usually hit 60hrs by Friday. I guess it just depends on how much you need to make.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

If you got your license you could likely work for a concrete company next day.

Comment

If you don’t already have your CDL then I hope you are mechanically inclined. It is a pain to get your CDL now. It helps a LOT if you have ever worked as a mechanic.

Comment

Been in trucking since 1994.
          I wouldn't recommend it to anyone anymore

To many inconsiderate people in this world.

When we go to God by prayer, the devil knows we go to fetch strength against him, and therefore he opposeth us all he can.

R. Sibbes

Comment

If you want to work locally, you could probably start out delivering beverages (beer, soda, etc.) That is considered entry level CDL work. Do that for about 1 year, then you should be able to get your foot in the door to something else.

As to the comment about not recommending it to anyone, I don't know about that. You can still make a decent living. I know guys who are making 6 figures as a foodservice delivery driver. It's all about what your willing to do.

Comment

I got my class A in 1982. Never been OTR, but do occasionally go to Oklahoma.

If’n I had to do it over again, I would probably choose another career.

Too many stupid 4 wheelers, and I don’t tolerate stupid very good.

But, I have been with the same company for 28 years now... drive 2,150 miles in 4 nights. looking forward to retirement in a couple o years.

Comment

I read an article yesterday that said the trucking industry has gone zero tolerence on weed and fired 40.000 truckers last year. Should be a bunch of openings........

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Dangerr View Post
                  I read an article yesterday that said the trucking industry has gone zero tolerence on weed and fired 40.000 truckers last year. Should be a bunch of openings........
                  There is a website now that all CDL drivers have to log on to. If you have had a positive drug or alcohol test ever then you basically loose your CDL.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshot-73 View Post

Too many stupid 4 wheelers, and I don’t tolerate stupid very good.
                    That works both ways.
                    18 wheelers driving in the fast lane **** me off.

Comment

There’s a lot of B.S. you have to put up with at any job. The last 25 yrs constantly had someone who doesnt know what their talking about looking over my shoulder constantly etc.

Customers flipping out for no reason, stupid managers criticizing everything you do etc.Thinking about making a change.

I know I could do the first year and it would suck but after that you could pick and choose your job I think.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by thehairlessone! View Post
                        Been thinking about changing careers. I always thought I would like a truck but it seems like you have to get hired on and do over the road for a year to get experience to get a job where you are local?

Is that how it typically works? I wouldn’t mind being gone some but i dont want to be gone for 2 weeks or more with out being home a day. I dont know if I would be willing to do that.

I know it would only be for a year but that seems crazy. I would think if they needed drivers as bad as it seems that they would get you home once a week or something like that.

Thoughts?

Rick
                        If you are not afraid to work i have all the work you want, its driving and operating a concrete truck.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
                          That works both ways.
                          18 wheelers driving in the fast lane **** me off.

LMAO. I’ll play along.

How many big trucks you seen going north in the southbound lane lately??

I’ve had 2 stupid 4 wheelers, in the last month, in B/CS.

Comment

If I lived closer I would take you up on it thanks Mj

Rick

Comment

With a CDL, you’ll always have the opportunity for employment. I haven’t driven commercially since 97 but I still keep my CDL concurrent. I have no desire to get back in a truck but you never know what’s around the next bend.

Comment

Working...
                              X