Racoon in attic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Racoon in attic

Well I have a racoon in my attic. I have had a live trap setup with some wet cat food that is not getting the job done. We hadn't heard him for a few days so I sealed up the spot he was coming in at. Now we hear him and there is no way he is getting out. I'm concerned he will die up there in a spot I won't be able to get him or he will tear something up trying to get out.
    I've gone up there several times with a pellet gun trying to find him but his hiding pretty good.

Any recommendations?

Turn out the coon dogs!

Comment

The forage mostly at night and early morning. Open the hole back up and close when he's gone?

One of their favorite things to eat is Oreo cookies.

Comment

Open it back up. I would also be concerned with a litter in there. Put Dukes traps in yard area. And be prepared to go out and dispatch because its gonna make a racket and tear whatever is around it up.

Comment

Try putting marshmallows in the trap. Apparently they look like eggs and are irresistible.

Comment

Live trap with peanut butter on bread as bait. Dispatch in the morning.

Comment

I can’t remember the last time I even saw my bow, THIS is why I’m here!!!
              Had the same problem and used a big live trap and a can of tuna. I put construction poly under the trap ( I think I learned it from the Sopranos).
              I had trees too close to the house, which I cut down after the third round of raccoon evictions.
              As far as archery related answers, definitely a crossbow.

Comment

Red fox urine works well to keep critters out in the future.

Comment

I have had a lot of trouble catching coons in live traps, possums and skunks are easy. I have only caught one young coon in a live trap, they seem to educate their young to stay out of those things. It could be because I caught so many possums and skunks, I am sure many coons saw those critters trapped, before I got to them. However they learn, they learn about live traps.

If it is trapped up there, it will get hungry and more desperate, it might go into a live trap after a couple of days. As good as those Dukes traps seem to work, I would probably try one of those and make sure you have it well attached to something, no rope, straps or anything that can be chewed threw. Then finish the deal with a pellet gun.

We had squirrels get into the house, I finally figured out all of the places they were getting in, and sealed up those places. I think I trapped one in the house, that died and stunk for a while, but at least we got rid of them.

Comment

I thought I had rats in my attic once. Turned out it was a litter of squirrels
                    I used a pellet gun as they emerged one by one

Leave it open and trap him outside. bigger the trap, the better luck I’ve had.
                    I use dried cat or dog food.

Comment

I have had good luck catching coons in live traps with grapes. Cats don't eat grapes but coons love them so I don't spend time releasing the cats.

Comment

I would not put a Dukes trap in attic unless you want alot of damage unless you put it on a sheet of plywood and drill hole in bottom to put the spike. I would put on a short 1500# tether that will not allow it to get off plywood. Anything they can touch will be destroyed

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                          I would not put a Dukes trap in attic unless you want alot of damage unless you put it on a sheet of plywood and drill hole in bottom to put the spike. I would put on a short 1500# tether that will not allow it to get off plywood. Anything they can touch will be destroyed
                          Yup, as soon as you catch him in a leghold trap, he/she is going to tear up everything around. If you know where it's coming in and out. Open the spot up, Pump loud music(metal) and a strobe light into your attic. Coon won't like the party and leave.

Comment

Well as a aco raspberry zingers or marshmallows in the trap or bread with peanut butter all work amazing.

Comment

malrin fly bait and grape soda..

mix some up in a pan, and that coon will be dead within 18" of it.

Comment

Working...
                              X